No announcement yet.

Everything Round 2: Raps vs Sixers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It wasn't that 538's model was wrong in liking the Raptors last year. It was wrong it hating the Cavs... which all models did because Cavs were crap before the trade deadline and took a while to merge after their trades. I assume that was the big impetus in 538 switching to a player-based model this year, but there's no late-season changes that should be difficult for a model to pick up the way the Cavs were last year.

Comment

• STARTERS:

AT

STARTERS:

NOTES:
      • Kawhi's 45 in game 1 was the most by a Raptor since Vince Carter hit 50 back in 2001. It was also a new playoff career high for him.
      • Kawhi and Pascal (29 pts) combined to outscore the Sixers starters 74-71.
      • Sixers got 13 offensive rebounds to the Raptors 2, but that is partly because we shot 52% to their 39% from the field. Still need to do better securing the ball on the defensive end.
      • Joel Embiid scored one field goal attempt while Marc Gasol was on the floor.
      • Our bench gave us 10 points for the game. Not a problem yet but they will need to step up soon.

Ben Simmons's shooting is really improving:

WINS REMAINING:

Last edited by Scraptor; Wed May 1, 2019, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Superjudge
        Superjudge commented
        Editing a comment
        golden wrote: View Post

This is the silliest type of post on a message board, there is. The STFU post. Any trained chimp who can type on keyboard is qualified make any such remark on here or anywhere else on the internet.

You had Brett Brown just say "... playoffs are all about adjustments."
        You had Dwane Casey say"... adjustments are when I laugh."

Both those guys are professional NBA coaches who have forgotten 1000X more about basketball than you will ever know.

Those are 2 completely opposite opinions. But according to you - you can't comment on that? STFU.

When you make a post on an message board, you reduce yourself to a lowly internet keyboard warrior.... like the rest of us. If you don't like a poster saying stupid stuff, then you should stop slumming it and hang out with the NBA insider big boys club that you obviously feel you're part of.

I'm right though... and his head does need a good shaking.

• Apollo
        Apollo commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm really glad this isn't a best two out of three like many seem to think it is. You had me fooled for a while guys, well played.

• Apollo
        Apollo commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh and the star of the game was... Me, who feel asleep at some point early fourth quarter. That extra hour was optimized to its full value. Someone tell the bench guys to stop stealing my move every game. It doesn't translate well to courtside seats or the deck.

• On Thursday night the Raps look to respond and grab a big road win in game 3. In a game that they had no business being in the Raptors somehow managed to be within a possession with 24 second to go. We all know what happened after that and now it’s evened up at 1-1. The positive is that the 6ers were held to under 100 pts for the second straight game. The defense has been unbelievable thus far, and an average offensive output with some minor contributions from the bench will be enough to get a victory most night with that level of defense. Someone off the bench is due to have a positive impact in this one and if the starter play to the same level Toronto steals this one on the road.

Matchups

PG

SG

SF

PF

C

X-Factor:

Nick Nurse- After deciding against changing up rotations for the first 2 games the onus is now on coach Nurse to adjust. The first and foremost which many have been calling for is to connect Gasol & Embiid at the hip and match their playing time second for second. The 2nd much easier adjustment is simply avoid throwing Jodie Meeks on the court in a key situation and strike a balance between a combination of starters and bench players. Brett Brown was able to make key changes to bounce back from a disappointing lose, Nick finds himself in the same situation and I expect to see some tweaks. If he can put his players in a good position to match the 6ers lineups he will be rewarded with a solid road win.

Berta’s things to keep an eye on- Marc Gasol, the defensive reputation of the big burrito has been on full display this postseason. Now is time for Big Spain to show off his offensive repertoire. Philly changed their defensive assignments to match-up Harris on Gasol. While the process shifted to Spicy P for an all Cameroonian battle. Look for Marc to post up Harris and look for his own shot a bit more. If he can score on Harris at a decent rate the 6ers may be forced to show help in the post, which will lead to the Orca being able to set up team mates with sweet dimes.

(NSFW)

To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• G__Deane
        G__Deane commented
        Editing a comment
        KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Yeah I'm not sure what g deane is seeing but Kyle, fred, the bench etc all catch just as much flak as nurse
        Well, I started posting a ton of evidence to the contrary but was told it was spamming because blinders are firmly on lol.....

• golden
        golden commented
        Editing a comment
        Superjudge wrote: View Post

yeah but thats the game they play, they're used to that.
        They're not used to playoff speed, defensive intensity, focus and opposition schemes designed to stop them, specifically. It's impossible to simulate those things.

FVV is barely an NBA rotation player in the regular season, and his true skill-set got exposed this year when they took away Pascal, Jakob and CJ Miles regressed. Playoffs is another notch above that.

• Superjudge
        Superjudge commented
        Editing a comment

They're not used to playoff speed, defensive intensity, focus and opposition schemes designed to stop them, specifically. It's impossible to simulate those things.

FVV is barely an NBA rotation player in the regular season, and his true skill-set got exposed this year when they took away Pascal, Jakob and CJ Miles regressed. Playoffs is another notch above that.
        You might be right there.... they may have spent 82 game at their max.... and now its just too much. I hope not.

• Philadephia 76ers Starters

- Ben Simmons
      - Jimmy Butler
      - JJ Redick
      - Tobias Harris
      - Joel Embiid

AND NOW FOR YOUR TORONTO RAPTORS

Floor general and pitbull: Kyle Lowry

Sharp Shooter Danny Green

Your MVP Kawhi Leonard

Your MIP Pascal Siakam

Big man with the skills: Marc Gasol

Snap Happened. We're in Endgame now.

On Sunday fate of this franchise will be determined.

Game Notes

• The Toronto Raptors continue an Eastern Conference semifinal playoff series with the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday afternoon. The Raptors are 5-1 following back-to-back losses this season and have not dropped three straight since Nov. 12-16. Toronto has rebounded five times from a 2-1 deficit to tie a playoff series – 2001 vs. New York, 2002 vs. Detroit, 2014 vs. Brooklyn, 2016 vs. Cleveland and 2017 vs. Milwaukee.
      • Toronto held opponents under 100 points in six consecutive playoff games (Apr. 16-29). This was the longest streak since Miami had 11 straight games (Apr. 23 – May 13, 2016) holding opponents below the century mark. The Raptors’ franchise record for holding opponents under 100 points in the playoffs is 12 games (Apr. 23, 2000 – May 13, 2001).
      • Toronto held opponents under .420 field goal shooting in seven straight playoff games (Apr. 13-29), which tied for the second-longest streak during the three-point era. The Los Angeles Lakers have the longest streak since 1979 holding opponents under .420 field goal shooting in eight straight playoff games June 11, 2009 - Apr. 30, 2010. The New Jersey Nets also had a streak of seven games May 12-29, 2002.
      • Toronto is one of five teams since 2013-14 with a winning road record in the regular-season and playoffs combined. The Raptors are 150-122 (.551) overall on the road during the past six seasons, with an 8-18 (.308) record on the road in the playoffs. BEST ROAD RECORD SINCE 2013-14: Golden State, 201-90 (.691); Houston, 153-122 (.556); Toronto, 150- 122 (.551); San Antonio, 153-127 (.546); Los Angeles Clippers, 146-122 (.545). • Kawhi Leonard scored a playoff career-high 45 points (16-23 FG, 3-7 3FG, 7-10 FT) Apr. 27 in Game 1 vs. Philadelphia. His previous playoff high was 43 points Apr. 22, 2017 at Memphis as a member of the San Antonio Spurs. Leonard’s 45 points ranks second in franchise history for most points in a single playoff game, trailing only Vince Carter’s 50-point performance May 11, 2001 vs. Philadelphia. Leonard is 14-2 overall when playing against the Sixers. He averaged a team high 30.3 points, 7.7 rebounds, 4.0 steals and shot .500 (9-for-18) from three-point range in three regular-season games against Philadelphia this season.
      • TOP SINGLE-GAME PLAYOFF SCORING PERFORMANCES: 50 – Vince Carter (May 11, 2005 vs. Philadelphia); 45 – Kawhi Leonard (Apr. 27, 2019 vs. Philadelphia); 39 – Chris Bosh (Apr. 26, 2008 vs. Orlando); 39 – Vince Carter (May 18, 2001 vs. Philadelphia).
      • Kawhi Leoanrd has scored 30+ points in playoff game 12 times during his career with a 9-3 record in these games. He ranks second in playoff scoring averaging 31.5 points, trailing only Kevin Durant (34.3). Leonard’s 252 total points through the first eight playoff games ranks seventh in the last 10 years. Only Kevin Durant (3X) and LeBron James (3X) have scored more points through the first seven games since 2008-09.
      • Philadelphia native Kyle Lowry leads the NBA in the playoffs with nine offensive charges drawn, 23 loose balls recovered and second with 26 deflections. He is averaging 16.6 points, 6.1 assists, 1.5 steals and shooting .387 (75-for-194) in 32 career games against the Sixers.
      • Pascal Siakam led the Raptors with a playoff career-high 30 points and 11 rebounds Apr. 19 in Game 3 at Orlando. He joined Chris Bosh as the only players in franchise history to record 30 points and 10 rebounds in a playoff game. Siakam also joined LeBron James and Giannis Anteokounmpo as the only players since 2015 with 30 points, 10 rebounds and zero turnovers in a playoff game.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Zak24gege
        Zak24gege commented
        Editing a comment
        Apollo wrote: View Post

My post was triggered by someone criticizing how much they're making. Thought that was you but now I see you interjected into that discussion.

This still comes back to live by the sword, die by the sword. They made the moves they did for a good reason and the bed is made. I hope Fred rebounds next series. The Bucks are most effective on the fast break and so are the Raptors. The Raptors have Leonard though, who is dominate no matter the style of play. If Raptors try to grind things to a halt it will impact Fred but it would be well worth it if it means factoring out Giannis' best opprtunities.

The Celtics are a bit smaller than the Bucks and the Raptors' playoff opponents. That would be a better matchup for Fred. I could see him getting back on track there.
        I do hope Fred redeems himself before too long. He should get a few minutes backing up Lowry and if he could only see something go thru the hoop...we would all be happy.

• inthepaint
        inthepaint commented
        Editing a comment
        Apollo wrote: View Post

That's part of the price to playing the game like Ujiri. The same reason you're seeing Fred and Norm making that kind of money is the same reason you're watching Kawhi in Toronto. Also no one was complaining when Fred and Norm got paid. Then they showed promise and it seemed like good bets. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Also, I don't believe Fred is done. If they get out of this round he's likely not to have someone twice his size guarding him from there on out.
        Good point. Bledsoe, George Hill, Rozier and Kyrie are all 6'3" or under with relatively normal wingspans. I hope Fred can bounce back but on this series he should be stashed imo.

• Superjudge
        Superjudge commented
        Editing a comment
        Zak24gege wrote: View Post

No doubting that. The one thing a coach does control is minutes. Finally, some restraint on FVV/NP minutes.
        Yeah, fair enough.

- Ben Simmons
      - Jimmy Butler
      - JJ Redick
      - Tobias Harris
      - Joel Embiid

Floor General on the Floor/Pitbull: Kyle Lowry

True Definition of 3 + D and part-time podcaster

MVP of Toronto Raptors. Mr. Efficiency: Kawhi Leonard

Young All-Star in a making: Pascal Siakam

And the big man, the Spaniard: Marc Gasol

This is a whole new series. Best of 3. Raptors have homecourt advantage.

Game Notes

Last edited by MixxAOR; Mon May 6, 2019, 05:06 AM.

Comment

• Jclaw
        Jclaw commented
        Editing a comment

Is Gasol a sleeper agent Looks like he is trying to boost up Tobias. Maybe just moving him away. Either way...funny side part of the gif. There's a Titanic photoshop in there somewhere.
        Last edited by Jclaw; Wed May 8, 2019, 02:28 PM.

• JerichoJim
        JerichoJim commented
        Editing a comment
        "Is Gasol a sleeper agent Looks like he is trying to boost up Tobias. Maybe just moving him away. Either way...funny side part of the gif. There's a Titanic photoshop in there somewhere."
        Hahaha! Would love to see that Titanic Photoshop.

By the way, my cousin Jim has a wood pet gate for sale. If anyone's interested, feel free to PM me.
        Last edited by JerichoJim; Fri May 17, 2019, 06:44 PM.

• GOLDBLUM
        GOLDBLUM commented
        Editing a comment
        Jclaw wrote: View Post

Is Gasol a sleeper agent Looks like he is trying to boost up Tobias. Maybe just moving him away. Either way...funny side part of the gif. There's a Titanic photoshop in there somewhere.
        Looks like he did an amazing job of not fouling actually. Like he had the instinct to clutch and then let go in a weird way. That would’ve been thoroughly disappointing if that play was called off.

- Ben Simmons
      - Jimmy Butler
      - JJ Redick
      - Tobias Harris
      - Joel Embiid

North Philly's Finest: Kyle Lowry

Sniper in the building: Danny Green

Soul Snatcher: Kawhi Leonard

Man with infinite energy: Pascal Siakam

Big man with the three and a pass: Marc Gasol

Highlights

Game Notes:

- Toronto Raptors defetead 76ers in Game 5 125 - 89, which was their largest margin of victory in playoffs

- Raptors are 7-1 when they allow under 100 pts.

- Ibaka needed three stitches to close a cut on his forehead after he was inadvertently elbowed by Leonard in the opening quarter. Ibaka returned to start the second and, despite a visible bump on his head, soon scored his first points by blowing past Embiid for a dunk.

- In Game 5 Raptors shot 16 for 40 from 3-point range, setting a franchise record for 3-pointers in a postseason game. They hadn't made more than 10 in the four previous games this series.

- While walking off the court after the game, Embiid paused to tell rapper Drake, Toronto's Global Ambassador, that the 76ers would be back for Game 7.
      Last edited by MixxAOR; Wed May 8, 2019, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• golden
        golden commented
        Editing a comment
        iblastoff wrote: View Post

but whats the alternative? just make lowry play the whole game?
        Fred IS playable, but only as a direct replacement for Lowry and with Green, Kawhi, Siakam and either Gasol or Ibaka as the C. If you recall, Fred wasn't complete trash when he played with the starters early in the year. I'd sub out Gasol & Lowry for Ibaka & FVV when Embiid goes out at the 6 min mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters, for a 3 min shift in each half. Total of 6 minutes in the game for Fred, with a safety blanket of 3 starters and no Embiid on the court.

• KeonClark
        KeonClark commented
        Editing a comment

Fred IS playable, but only as a direct replacement for Lowry and with Green, Kawhi, Siakam and either Gasol or Ibaka as the C. If you recall, Fred wasn't complete trash when he played with the starters early in the year. I'd sub out Gasol & Lowry for Ibaka & FVV when Embiid goes out at the 6 min mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters, for a 3 min shift in each half. Total of 6 minutes in the game for Fred, with a safety blanket of 3 starters and no Embiid on the court.
        Bingo. The solution is play fred 6 or 7 minutes and let Kawhi or siakam initiate the offense.

He played 17 minutes last night and didnt even shoot until garbage time. Like nick nurse wtf

• golden
        golden commented
        Editing a comment
        KeonClark wrote: View Post

Bingo. The solution is play fred 6 or 7 minutes and let Kawhi or siakam initiate the offense.

He played 17 minutes last night and didnt even shoot until garbage time. Like nick nurse wtf
        Yeah, I mean Brett Brown has nailed TJ McConnell (Fred's doppleganger) to the bench. Brown learned stuff under Popovich. He knows that your worst player kills you as much as your best player helps you.

I posted this rotation before game 4 and I was surprised that Nurse mostly followed it. Then FVV makes one frickin' 3-pt shot in game 5 and Nurse is off the wagon again. smdh. As you well know, Nurse's unconditional love of Freddy and Lowry getting playoff yips were my 2 major concerns.... all season long. Third one was JV vs. Gasol, but that's spilt milk now.

Look for some Ibaka/Gasol and even Siakam/Ibaka/Gasol lineups. Key strategies: (1) Get Serge picking & popping with Lowry. (2) No Lowry + FVV together. (3) No FVV & Powell together either. (4) At least 3 starters on the court at all times. (5) Match Gasol & Embiid. (6) Tight 7 man rotation. Something like this....

https://snag.gy/lAmZgs.jpg

There is no possible way we lose Game 4 after Mixx's epic game thread.

• Back when the Bulls still mattered, I seem to remember putting an end to a Jimmy Butler streak. Time to do it again.
      I will leave photoshopping classic jazz albums to the pros (and professional looking it was!). So, without further ado...
      ....Your Toronto Raptors
      Kyle Lowry (G)

Danny Green (G)

http://

Kawhi Leonard (F)

Pascal Siakam (F)

Marc Gasol (C)

VS
      the 76ers

Not much else to say here. We know what is on the line.
      We are the better team. We are playing on our floor.
      We will get this done.

But remember...there are 2...maybe even 3 game 7's on Sunday
      You only have 1 mom.
      Enjoy the day
      Hope to see you all again, metaphorically, in Milwaukee
      Last edited by Jclaw; Fri May 10, 2019, 03:49 PM. Reason: Thanks PMars

Comment

• Torassic1
        Torassic1 commented
        Editing a comment
        octothorp wrote: View Post

Yeah, I've seen that comment. L2M report didn't call it a missed call. (Only acknowledged incorrect call was a missed shooting foul on Reddick at :41 that could have put Toronto up 5, so bitter Sixers fans should realize that they definitely did benefit from a missed call). A player who catches a pass while on the move is allowed until his second step to begin his dribble. I think his right foot is down when he catches the pass, he steps with his left, and then steps with his right again (the step on the logo) around the same time he releases the ball to begin his dribble. It's extremely close by the letter of the law, but the reality is that far more egregious catch-and-dribble violations go uncalled all the time, and the NBA isn't about to crack down on those.
        Thanks for this insight!

• slaw
        slaw commented
        Editing a comment
        Tmac2darak wrote: View Post

Excuses.

players travel all the time.
        The refs could call travelling on every other possession if they wanted to do so.... just like they could call fouls basically every time down the floor. But some people have to try to diminish everything.

• KeonClark
        KeonClark commented
        Editing a comment
        As octothorp said, Kawhi caught the ball and during that motion you're allowed to "gather" yourself...once we had full possession and began taking a new route, he only takes 2 steps before the first dribble leaves his hand.

It's not traveling. It's KIND OF close, but if Tony Brothers called Kawhi for traveling in that moment, giving Philly the last shot, he better get to traveling, FAST. He might need a police escort all the way out of Canada.

Besides, he was good. Philly already covered the spread, and the biggest star in the series was set to advance. His work here was done

• Open Gym comes through with a great capture of the 2nd Round:

Comment

Last edited by SamMitchells; Fri Jun 7, 2019, 02:51 PM.
        2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

• SamMitchells wrote: View Post
          Here's the entire Sixer series thread, in which every game was truncated into just this one thread.

Not sure if you, Joey, or mods can explain how to see the posts from the game 7? In Jclaw's OP it shows like 25 posts at the bottom and also shows a navigation bar of seemingly 1000 posts, though they don't seem to change when you scroll through that.

Shame, with all the hundreds of old game threads on here that still exist to have lost this one if that's the case.

Comment

• If you sort by latest activity you can get 25 pages. Dont think that includes every post but i page 25 looks like the begging of the 4th quarter from game 7. I remember i was able to find some of the posts from when the shot happened a few months ago. (I think when we were about the play the 6ers for the first time this season we revisted it). Maybe how i found it is in the thread.

Comment

• Wow this thread seriously got messed up. Wish the mods didn't merge the threads. Wasn't like that for the Orlando series.

Can still find each individual game thread:

Game 1: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...-sportsnet-one

Game 2: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...6th-8pm-et-tsn

Game 3: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...9th-7pm-et-sn1

Game 4: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...1st-7pm-et-tsn

Game 5: https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...3rd-7pm-et-tsn

Comment

• So the reactions leading up to and after the shot are still here.
                1. Go to top of page and choose "latest activity" instead of "posts"
                2.Page 17-15 are right on the moments leading up to the shot and reactions.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                  So the reactions leading up to and after the shot are still here.
                  1. Go to top of page and choose "latest activity" instead of "posts"
                  2.Page 17-15 are right on the moments leading up to the shot and reactions.
                  Thanks -- I used your method and just went from page 20 all the way forward. (I got lots of time on my hands.)

Found that to be extremely worthwhile. Great to relive the madness through the posters here at RR.

A small number of my posts and the posts of some others are just blank... wonder why... anyway...

With one of my missing posts I was able to find the content again by selecting edit -- and I found this link below of the last 4.2 seconds and onwards of Jurassic Park.

I find it really remarkable that now, when we're forced to avoid our fellow human-beings at all costs... not even a year ago this time, thanks to our Raptors' incredible playoff run... Torontonians were literally closer than we've ever been. And I'm glad we got to live that out so close in time to where we're at now. It's just the most astonishing display of communal joy -- and for me at least, I take joy in seeing that right now.

...and I never noticed previously but now that it's burned into my brain, check out how the blond girl right up front does the exact same Jordan Lloyd move at the exact same moment that he did. Guess that's what happens when you have the absolute closest vantage point for The Shot.

Comment

• Was watching Raptors highlights from last season

had forgotten that Kawhi hit a game winner against Portland that was nearly identical to "The Shot" - including four bounces

Comment

Working...
                    X