Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Repeating Itself

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    allllllll the negativity. this is your 3rd seeded raptors here. we fucking got this!
    in masai we trust

    water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

    Comment


    • #47
      I hate both the pessimism and over enthusiastic "homerism" that are in this thread, there is a third option:

      Comment


      • #48
        iblastoff wrote: View Post
        the only 'reality' is all you do is high-five fellow doomsday messenger GLF all day here. there is no guarantee that either team will win, thats the WHOLE POINT of a competitive game. bulls at home got beat by the wizards. clippers at home got beat by the warriors. pacers got absolutely obliterated at home by atlanta. joe johnson unstoppable? even derozans 'defense' shut him down until salmons came on.

        brooklyn calm under pressure? what happened the last time we beat brooklyn in brooklyn? oh a totally dazed and confused paul pierce who couldn't even pick up the ball after the patterson jumper? yah thats calm under pressure.

        we have a lot of things going against us. the media. supposedly the refs. hell, even espn technicians if we want to go that far. last thing we need or care about are shitty, crybaby worrywarts like you who feel the need to share their doom and gloom all day as if its fact, only to throw in a little "hope i'm wrong!" tidbit at the end for no particular reason other than to cover your ass.
        Name calling is unacceptable in this forum. You should read the rules.

        Comment


        • #49
          I hate the Nets (have hated them for a while). I hate Pierce and Garnett. There would be no greater feeling than knocking them out of the playoffs in the first round, but I just can't see it happening. The Nets have so much more experience that that's going to be the difference maker in this series.

          Everything is OK because the Raptors played like crap and they were still in the game? Brooklyn played like crap too, and guess what? They still ended up *winning* the game. Why did they win? Because experience and execution. They know what it takes to win in tight situations.

          Toronto will make it interesting, and they'll keep it close, but expecting them to win because Brooklyn is old is just downright "homeristic" level of ignorance.
          Last edited by nubreed000; Mon Apr 21st, 2014, 06:43 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Raps aint outta this boys.... but they sure as hell better start fighting..... HARD, because there is NOBODY outside of their GM who is fighting for them.

            Nobody.

            Comment


            • #51
              This team is completely different from the Bosh team.

              Even though we lost game 1, I am still thinking this game is going to be a tight one down to game 7. No one team has a major advantage over the other at this point.

              We played much, much worse (17 TO!! Ross ~ Livingston, DD awful, Amir awful) than them. They will get better but I think we will improve more than them

              Comment


              • #52
                OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                This team is completely different from the Bosh team.

                Even though we lost game 1, I am still thinking this game is going to be a tight one down to game 7. No one team has a major advantage over the other at this point.

                We played much, much worse (17 TO!! Ross ~ Livingston, DD awful, Amir awful) than them. They will get better but I think we will improve more than them
                They would have to start playing the way they played in January and February, when their defense was one of the best in the league and they made lots of smart offensive plays. The thing is, since then there's probably been a handful of games where they played such complete games.

                They definitely need to improve if they want to compete (and improve they will), but I just can't see them improving by such a large margin, mostly because I see DD struggling all series, and Lowry can't carry the whole team like he has in the regular season at times.
                Last edited by nubreed000; Mon Apr 21st, 2014, 07:14 PM.

                Comment


                • #53
                  OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                  This team is completely different from the Bosh team.

                  Even though we lost game 1, I am still thinking this game is going to be a tight one down to game 7. No one team has a major advantage over the other at this point.

                  We played much, much worse (17 TO!! Ross ~ Livingston, DD awful, Amir awful) than them. They will get better but I think we will improve more than them
                  Agreed. I geniunely believe Game 1 was just jitters. These guys should come out firing tonight.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    So far the script from 2006-07 has been followed . Let's hope we can end the trend by taking one of two in Brooklyn.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      So far the script from 2006-07 has been followed . Let's hope we can end the trend by taking one of two in Brooklyn.
                      Am I the only one scared to death about this? I know it's superstitious, but I'm worried.

                      And I really, really, really hate Kevin Garnett. I want to win in 5 and see him cry. Then I want DeRozan to say "Giving up game 1 at home, that's not good for anybody. Preschool, little league, YMCA, the Nets. But we came through in the end."

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Marz wrote: View Post
                        Am I the only one scared to death about this? I know it's superstitious, but I'm worried.
                        I can understand the worry because we're an inexperienced team facing a very experienced team.

                        But continuing our discussion from the main page, there are many differences severing any connection from the 2007 team.

                        - Ujiri is not Colangelo
                        - Casey is not Mitchell
                        - DeRozan is not Parker
                        - Amir is not Bosh
                        - Lowry is not Calderon

                        This team is better defensively, is better at sharing the ball, is better at getting contributions from multiple sources, is better on the road, and is better in 4th quarters.

                        Yeah, it's possible we lose the next 2 games.....but it won't be because of 2007

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I can understand the worry because we're an inexperienced team facing a very experienced team.

                          But continuing our discussion from the main page, there are many differences severing any connection from the 2007 team.

                          - Ujiri is not Colangelo
                          - Casey is not Mitchell
                          - DeRozan is not Parker
                          - Amir is not Bosh
                          - Lowry is not Calderon

                          This team is better defensively, is better at sharing the ball, is better at getting contributions from multiple sources, is better on the road, and is better in 4th quarters.

                          Yeah, it's possible we lose the next 2 games.....but it won't be because of 2007
                          Fair enough, but here are some negatives that are causing my pessimistic gut feeling:

                          - DeRozan is a walking turnover. I appreciate what he does - the Nets attack him on defense and then throw different looks at him on offense to keep him off his game. But every time I see DeRozan in an iso situation I cringe. Do you know the last time I felt something similar? Bosh. He also had a tendency to get stripped on his prolonged iso-drives to the basket.

                          - Lowry has been off his game and isn't playing 100%. As a result, the Raptors are not playing 100%. People keep attributing this to playoff jitters, completely disregarding the fact that we're actually playing a talented NBA team. This is Brooklyn's gameplan. And it's working.

                          - Casey and Mitchell are similar in that they are bad at drawing up X's and O's. Thank god Casey has some decent assistant coaches this time, but I think I shat my pants on at least three different occasions because I thought we wouldn't be able to inbound the ball. There are also a lot of the same play calls being repeated that just don't make much sense. And then when there is a "unique" playcall I have no idea what it's result was supposed to be (e.g. When Lowry and Vasquez were clustered out near the half-court line running around each other like chickens with their heads cut off).

                          - Brooklyn's defence is infinitely better than it was in the regular season. Not because the players have all of a sudden turned it on (at least I don't think), but because you get away with a lot more physical play in the playoffs. And it shows (players getting hammered on screens, Ross getting the ball ripped out of his hands). The Raptors have yet to fight back in any way shape or form. This is a major concern.

                          - Amir is hobbled and gassed. If he was 100%, we wouldn't be having so many defensive breakdowns. Speaking of which, what happened to our great defence? All of a sudden, Joe Johnson looks like he can get anything he wants (the first quarter of Game 2 was terrifying).

                          - Lowry may not be Calderon, but Calderon's team didn't turn the ball over much more than the regular season in their playoff run (14 vs 13.5). Because Lowry doesn't always have the ball in his hands like Calderon demanded, it's resulted in a lot more time given to lesser ball handlers, which is resulting in massive turn over numbers that keep the Nets in the game.

                          Here's hoping Ross goes off in Game 3/4, otherwise...

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I hear ya dude. Very legitimate concerns.

                            I just see a Raptors team that hasn't played even close to their best ball yet. I don't know if that's because of "jitters" or Brooklyn's playoff presence, but I think there's room for improvement. We're fortunate to be tied having played so poorly.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I hear ya dude. Very legitimate concerns.

                              I just see a Raptors team that hasn't played even close to their best ball yet. I don't know if that's because of "jitters" or Brooklyn's playoff presence, but I think there's room for improvement. We're fortunate to be tied having played so poorly.
                              The massive amount of turnovers so far is actually an encouraging sign to me.

                              I mean, we aren't anywhere close to this turnover prone during the regular season, so I'm hoping that will tighten up. And given our advantage on the boards, I think that leads to a series win.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

                              -Superjudge, 7/23

                              Hope you're wrong.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                stooley wrote: View Post
                                The massive amount of turnovers so far is actually an encouraging sign to me.

                                I mean, we aren't anywhere close to this turnover prone during the regular season, so I'm hoping that will tighten up. And given our advantage on the boards, I think that leads to a series win.
                                The turnovers are also not entirely on Toronto, it's a large part of The Nets' defensive system.

                                Since the All-Star break they are 3rd in the league for most turnovers caused and the 2 teams ahead of them (Philly and Twolves (by 0.1)) are not half court D teams.

                                This is Brooklyn's game, they don't rebound well but they force you to turn the ball over with their small lineup.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X