X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Giannis is actually a poor post up player (relative to the rest of his game) - he managed under 1 PPP on 3 post ups a game in the regular season. He hasn't posted up much in the playoffs (14 post ups), but when he has he hasn't exactly been scoring at will (0.7 PPP).

The problem with smaller defenders is it's impossible to deny him the ball because of his length. Just have to throw it high. So unless you are bringing help when he is off ball, hard to stop him from getting the ball right at the rim.

There are two directions I'd prefer to see the Raps go - have Siakam and Kawhi guard him, switch the pair of them when both are in action, and go under screens to dare him to shoot and allow the other PnR defender to stick to the roll/pop man. Or try throwing Gasol or Ibaka at him as the C and keep everyone else at home on shooters, again daring him to shoot. Then if those aren't working you always have the option to blitz him and see how the supporting cast responds. Going small on Giannis would be the last option in my personal bag of tricks.
    That would be my favorite. I know Gasol & Serge will be to slow for Giannis, but I'd live with that instead of having their perimeter players bomb from outside. Gasol has a wide frame and great positional awareness, and Ibaka can alter a lot of shots on the rim. Giannis will probably still get 40 every night, but if we stay home on shooters and limit them to 50 combined we're in good shape

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

because Giannis can post up at elite level and if he starts screening for his guards he can exploit Raps defense.
    Giannis is actually a poor post up player (relative to the rest of his game) - he managed under 1 PPP on 3 post ups a game in the regular season. He hasn't posted up much in the playoffs (14 post ups), but when he has he hasn't exactly been scoring at will (0.7 PPP).

The problem with smaller defenders is it's impossible to deny him the ball because of his length. Just have to throw it high. So unless you are bringing help when he is off ball, hard to stop him from getting the ball right at the rim.

There are two directions I'd prefer to see the Raps go - have Siakam and Kawhi guard him, switch the pair of them when both are in action, and go under screens to dare him to shoot and allow the other PnR defender to stick to the roll/pop man. Or try throwing Gasol or Ibaka at him as the C and keep everyone else at home on shooters, again daring him to shoot. Then if those aren't working you always have the option to blitz him and see how the supporting cast responds. Going small on Giannis would be the last option in my personal bag of tricks.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    I was looking back at the season stats when we played the bucks. The game that we won giannis has 43 points. If i remember that game correctly we pretty much defended giannis 1 on 1 the entire game and stuck to the 3 point shooters. Forcing Giannis to try to beat us on his own. It's not the style the bucks want to play and they arn't used to playing that way. Could throw them out of rythmn and hey that was the only game we won vs them this year. you gotta think that is a startegy floating around the back of nicks mind.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
    Someone who knows basketball better than me, why isnt it preferable to guard Giannis with speedy physical defenders and try to deny him the ball as much as possible? Seems like a better idea to slow him down and mess up his timing rather than give him time and space. Raps are smart helping and might be able to poke around for steals too. I know he isnt a great shooter, but I feel like with space he can get wherever he wants.
    because Giannis can post up at elite level and if he starts screening for his guards he can exploit Raps defense.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Someone who knows basketball better than me, why isnt it preferable to guard Giannis with speedy physical defenders and try to deny him the ball as much as possible? Seems like a better idea to slow him down and mess up his timing rather than give him time and space. Raps are smart helping and might be able to poke around for steals too. I know he isnt a great shooter, but I feel like with space he can get wherever he wants.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    No one is going to slow Giannis down. The only goal is to somewhat limit the damage and the 3 ball if he's covered.
    He could set a f/t record this series

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    I agree. I hope nick has some curveballs, cause thinking siakam or Ibaka can slow him man to man is wishful thinking. Siakam is too weak and Ibaka is too small and slow

Leave a comment:

• DogeLover1234
    replied

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Scraptor wrote: View Post
    The excellent Zach Lowe previews the series:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ne-east-finals
    lmao. Giannis is the enemy, but you just gotta love his quotes.

"Against Boston, you can go down 1-0 and still be fine," Antetokounmpo said Tuesday. "But against Toronto it's hard to be in that spot when you lose the first game at your home."

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    The excellent Zach Lowe previews the series:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ne-east-finals

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    Bucks fans are insufferable holy shit
    Nowhere near as bad as Sixers fans imo. They just have had smooth sailing so far.

Once we hit em hard they'll revert back to being as neurotic and self-doubting as we are.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

So we probably don't see OG against the Bucks. Unless it goes 6 or 7 and even then I doubt Nurse puts him in at that point just because of how high the stakes will be.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

Never again

I don't know man, if Raps were 8-1 right now in the playoffs there would be a lot of cocky posters in here as well.

Fans need to realize though that every series is a brand new monster and 7-game series can be 2 or 3 different stories (look how the narrative shifted in the Raps-Sixers series after Game 1, then Game 3, then Game 5). Bucks are the favorites given the way they have played but it can change on a dime.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Mixx been behind enemy lines this morning

stay in here mixx it's safe
    Never again

Leave a comment:

• rightsideup
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
    One thing to keep in mind. Toronto had tougher opponets in both the first 2 round then Milwaukee.. If Bucks start to face some adversity some time in the series its something they havent had to face except when dropping game 1 vs boston. Also a 1 week lay off. I think we have a legitimate chance to steal game 1.
    I agree with this Boston was feeling good about themselves about the pacers sweep and took advantage of a disengaged bucks team in game one. after that the outcome because a lack of chemistry on Bostons part was easy for the bucks. I

Leave a comment:

Working...
X