No announcement yet.

Everything Round 3: Raps vs Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting strategy by David Thorpe. Suggests perhaps Kyle is the best guard on Giannis a lot

STOPPING GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO

THE MISSION: Get him to post up, thus reducing his punishing attacks from the perimeter.

THE TRICK: Assign him a tiny defender, inviting him to post up so he can use his size advantage.

THE SURPRISE: Take him out of his most effective attacks and utilize well-timed help to frustrate him.

THE INDIVIDUAL PLAN: Giannis is a nightmare of length, speed, skill, and athleticism. He attacks relentlessly, leading the NBA in dunks. Most teams do their best to counter that with size; he faces defenders like 6-10 Al Horford, 6-7 Kawhi Leonard, and 6-9 Pascal Siakam. The problem with that strategy is that Giannis initiates most of his attack sequences from the perimeter and zooms past them. He’s faster than just about anyone his size. A smaller defender invites Giannis to post up, which is not his strength—according to Synergy Sports, he makes just .986 points per post-up, compared to 1.42 points as a cutter. Kyle Lowry lives for these assignments, he’s so tough to maneuver around and he will fight for every inch of space. Danny Green is a good option as well.

Once in the post, I would tell the defender to get even smaller. Sit low to the ground with a forearm or hand in his back, eyes focused on Giannis' midsection, waiting for his move to the middle of the paint. Ordinarily, the main advantage of getting low is having increased leverage to hold position. Also, there are steals to be had down low should he dribble. In this case, though, the primary advantage is in goading Giannis into one of his worst offensive skills: face-up shooting over a defender. If he turns to shoot, that's sure not a dunk! And about as poor an attempt as you can get him to take.

THE HELP: It’s quite likely he won't shoot over his defender. And here's where the Raptors can make some clever rules about helping. Never double-team before he dribbles or if he’s stationary dribbling—that makes it too easy for him to see what's happening. Instead, use his speed against him. When he makes a sudden move, rush the nearest player from behind. The quicker, smaller primary defender can prevent him from turning the corner on his first move, and once slowed, the second man arrives, ready to “muck up” all those spin moves and pivots that Giannis loves so much.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Giannis might be the best player in the world. He averages 27 points per game on 17 shots this postseason, which is a nightmare. He'll score plenty no matter what you do. But at this stage of his career, his post-up game is not elite. The more time he spends doing those things, the better.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Interesting strategy by David Thorpe. Suggests perhaps Kyle is the best guard on Giannis a lot
      That could get pretty comical to watch actually. I like the out-of-the-box thinking, and I bet that's going to be experimented with at some point (cuz Nurse). Heck, almost certain that Nurse will go one step further and sick FVV on Giannis.

Comment

I think that statement that most big players are not as fast as Giannis is absolutely true in general - but it's also true that two of the few guys both big and fast enough to deal with Giannis fairly capably are Kawhi and Pascal.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Bucks fans are insufferable holy shit
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Mixx been behind enemy lines this morning

stay in here mixx it's safe
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Lol

Comment

Mmmm..... Deer Meat Souvlaki.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                  One thing to keep in mind. Toronto had tougher opponets in both the first 2 round then Milwaukee.. If Bucks start to face some adversity some time in the series its something they havent had to face except when dropping game 1 vs boston. Also a 1 week lay off. I think we have a legitimate chance to steal game 1.
                  I agree with this Boston was feeling good about themselves about the pacers sweep and took advantage of a disengaged bucks team in game one. after that the outcome because a lack of chemistry on Bostons part was easy for the bucks. I

Comment

Never again

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Never again

I don't know man, if Raps were 8-1 right now in the playoffs there would be a lot of cocky posters in here as well.

Fans need to realize though that every series is a brand new monster and 7-game series can be 2 or 3 different stories (look how the narrative shifted in the Raps-Sixers series after Game 1, then Game 3, then Game 5). Bucks are the favorites given the way they have played but it can change on a dime.

Comment

So we probably don't see OG against the Bucks. Unless it goes 6 or 7 and even then I doubt Nurse puts him in at that point just because of how high the stakes will be.

Comment

Nowhere near as bad as Sixers fans imo. They just have had smooth sailing so far.

Once we hit em hard they'll revert back to being as neurotic and self-doubting as we are.

Comment

The excellent Zach Lowe previews the series:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ne-east-finals

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              The excellent Zach Lowe previews the series:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ne-east-finals
                              lmao. Giannis is the enemy, but you just gotta love his quotes.

"Against Boston, you can go down 1-0 and still be fine," Antetokounmpo said Tuesday. "But against Toronto it's hard to be in that spot when you lose the first game at your home."

Comment

Someone who knows basketball better than me, why isnt it preferable to guard Giannis with speedy physical defenders and try to deny him the ball as much as possible? Seems like a better idea to slow him down and mess up his timing rather than give him time and space. Raps are smart helping and might be able to poke around for steals too. I know he isnt a great shooter, but I feel like with space he can get wherever he wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X