Game 1 of the ECF. Raps @ Bucks. Wednesday May 15th 8:30pm on Sportsnet and TNT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 007 wrote: View Post
    Okay, that ending fucking sucked, but it doesn’t change what we have to do which is get a split in Milwaukee. Win Game 2 and everybody is feeling a lot better heading home

Just need to rebound the ball and for every starter except Lowry to shoot a bit better lol
    Haven't you heard. This series is over. Might as well just stop after the next tipoff, shake their hands and fly back to Toronto.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
      Nurse needs to stop this fuckkng obsession with FVV. He’s been atrocious every every single game in the playoffs and he keeps playing crucial minutes
      The idea was that the Raptors matched up more favorably to the Bucks than the other two matchups and so they went back to the regular rotation. That needs to end, I agree but it was worth a shot. Serge needs more minutes next game.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        I think part of the issue with the bench lineups is that when they are in - the offence seems to run through them, not the remaining starters on the court with them. If Norm and FVV are on with Lowry/Siakam or Leonard/Siakam or whatever the starters combo is, the offence needs to be going through those guys, not Norm or FVV.
        I agree. Norm hit some big shots early but this is the ECF. Fred and Norm need to bow down. If they're wide open and it's at the end of the clock then fire at will but otherwise move the ball.

Overall I really like the Raptors' shot at getting the upset this series and going to the finals. They just need to reign in the bench, box out on defense and protect the basketball.
        Axel wrote: View Post
        When I look at this game and this series compared to last, I think Milwaukee is better than Philly, but I think Philly had better individual players across the board. Obviously Giannis is better than anyone on Philly, but in terms of individual vs individual match-ups, I think Philly is better at most positions, but Milwaukee is a better team (more balanced roster, more complimentary skills, better schemed).
        Philly had more talent for sure. I think people are buying too much into the hype. The Bucks are well coached and talent wise match up comparably to the Raptors. This series is doable for the guys.

Giannis is not as good as Kawhi though, there are things you can take away from Giannis which changes the whole game. If not for Brolo's career game the Raptors would have won it. How often have they played this well in game one and on the road in front of a very loud, hostile crowd no less? The guys lost the game but passed the eye test in my opinion. I'm more confident now about their chances.
        Last edited by Apollo; Thu May 16, 2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

What is frustrating is that he did not roll out the three guard line up AT ALL in the first half, thus we were leading and held the fort on the boards.

But for some brain cramp fucking reason, late in the third approaching the fourth, he just went back to that shit strategy.

that was an “in game adjustment” that backfired. Three guard midget line up never worked for him in the regular season and playoffs.

Momentum breaker.

we are not playing a less talented team.

winnable game is desperate time
          The broadcast played a replay of a Lopez putback dunk zoomed in from the opposite baseline (at the players level), and all you see is Brook and the heads of Kyle, Norm, and Fred surrounding him!!...that's when my frustration level went over the top!!...if you're going to lose the game by having the three shortest players on the court, please no replays showing just how much its doomed to fail!

Comment

• So after sleeping on it, I'm upset that we collapsed in the 4th, but I definitely do NOT think it's the same as the Cavs series last year where we lost the 1st game and then everything fell apart.

From what I saw last night, the Bucks look very beatable. I know we're all shitting on the 3 guard lineup, and we should, but I think that Danny Green lost us the game last night. I was unhappy with Gasol in the 2nd half, but he made a lot of good buckets in the 1st. Norm also did well in the first half. I want to like FVV, I really do, but dude can't play on there in that lineup. He makes way too many bad decisions.

We were grabbing rebounds in the 1st half - both offensive and defensive. What the hell happened in the 2nd? I remember when Kyle grabbed an offensive rebound while 4 Bucks guys were around him. Where was everyone else?

Anyway, I still think the Raptors can win game 2, and take it in 6.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Playoff Lowry can sometimes be KLUE. That said, I hope Lowry feels like he's playing with house money now and can just go back to being October/November Lowry.
              As much as I crack on Lowry, I kind of felt like this was going to happen. Just hope it continues.

Comment

It’s worse than tinkering. Small lineups with more guards are a core principal for Nurse, that he deeply believes gives his teams an advantage with ball handling and playmaking. He will keep coming back to them again and again as a touchstone, because he believes they will eventually work.
                Disturbingly true

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Disturbingly true
                  In theory, the concept of putting out more smaller players is to gain an advantage using quickness to get by a defender with dribble penetration, while limiting turnovers. Problem is that Lowry and FVV are slow-footed and can't take anybody off the dribble, and Norm is just a straight line driver, with no real shiftiness to get by his man and makes poor decisions when he's stopped. The personnel we have doesn't fit what Nurse is trying to do.

To execute what Nurse wants, you need a guards like Kemba, Eric Gordon, Kyrie, etc... who can beat their man off the dribble 1-on-1.

Comment

In theory, the concept of putting out more smaller players is to gain an advantage using quickness to get by a defender with dribble penetration, while limiting turnovers. Problem is that Lowry and FVV are slow-footed and can't take anybody off the dribble, and Norm is just a straight line driver, with no real shiftiness to get by his man and makes poor decisions when he's stopped. The personnel we have doesn't fit what Nurse is trying to do.

To execute what Nurse wants, you need a guards like Kemba, Eric Gordon, Kyrie, etc... who can beat their man off the dribble 1-on-1.
                    What I have a problem with is playing the 3 of them together. FVV is problably unplayable period at this point, but Norm is a very serviceable player on a spot up role or in transition, and Lowry is light years away from both of them in just about every facet of the game (defence, playmaking, court vision, rebounding, experience etc). What just about everyone on this board seem to agree though is that the on court fit of of these 3 just doesn't work. It weakens a team that's already not strong on rebounding, it takes away physicallity on both ends,among other issues.

Hopefully nurse will resist his urge to do it in gm 2

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

What I have a problem with is playing the 3 of them together. FVV is problably unplayable period at this point, but Norm is a very serviceable player on a spot up role or in transition, and Lowry is light years away from both of them in just about every facet of the game (defence, playmaking, court vision, rebounding, experience etc). What just about everyone on this board seem to agree though is that the on court fit of of these 3 just doesn't work. It weakens a team that's already not strong on rebounding, it takes away physicallity on both ends,among other issues.

Hopefully nurse will resist his urge to do it in gm 2
                      It's not an urge, it's a core belief. It's really hard to get people to change what they truly believe in. Especially smart people. Sometimes they have to fail badly and then have time to reflect on what TF happened.

Comment

So why is Nurse expecting players to do things they are not good at or do not have the skills to execute?

Comment

• Game 1 was ours to win. The guy I am most disappointed with is Green. He is just not doing anything.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

So why is Nurse expecting players to do things they are not good at or do not have the skills to execute?
                            The idea was that if your superstars get blitzed in the playoffs, the role players need to be able to make plays. That was the gamble. Doesn't look like it's working at all. It completely destroys a bench unit - they need rigid role definitions and a tight script as a system.

Comment

• 4th quarter Lowry 5-7 rest of the team 0-15
                              I hate all this talk about "tired"
                              1/ They're highly trained professional athletes in phenomenol shape
                              2/ They just had 3 days off and a short flight to Milwaukee, this isn't Toronto to Oakland
                              3/ They're only halfway to the chip

I'm not unsympathetic to this being a grind, I just don't like the excuse; it was more likely that the Bucks should have been rusty.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                                4th quarter Lowry 5-7 rest of the team 0-15
                                I hate all this talk about "tired"
                                1/ They're highly trained professional athletes in phenomenol shape
                                2/ They just had 3 days off and a short flight to Milwaukee, this isn't Toronto to Oakland
                                3/ They're only halfway to the chip

I'm not unsympathetic to this being a grind, I just don't like the excuse; it was more likely that the Bucks should have been rusty.
                                Ultimately it was Kawhi that looked the most tired (maybe Gasol, but he's not really a guy we go to on offense anyway). And that's understandable. He put it all on the line for us in game 7. That was an emotional game as well. It's an excuse but a valid one in my opinion.

Hopefully Kawhi comes back hungrier in game 2. He needs to put out an efficient game for us to have a chance against the Bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X