NBA 2019 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post

Right. You don't trade an NBA superstar for a PG who can't shoot. You trade an NBA superstar for the best package of assets available because you're backed into a corner.

For what it's worth, Jason Kidd's rookie season at age 21 doesn't really look much better than Lonzo Ball's rookie and sophomore seasons at age 20-21. We're talking about a 21 year old here. What you see isn't likely what you get.
    For what it's also worth, it took Kidd 13 years to develop a reliable 3-pt shot. But more importantly, Jason Kidd played in a vastly different era. Teams that have PGs without range get exploited badly today. Even worse in the playoffs. Heck, even PGs with range, but are afraid to shoot get exploited. Lakers potential package has so much bust potential on every asset, I'd be nervous if I was a GM. The risks are well-known.

Ingram (blood clots)
    Ball (can't shoot)
    4th pick (who?)
    Kuzma (meh)

Pelicans aren't backed into a corner at all anymore. They just won the Zion sweepstakes. They can sit back and get an auction going at the draft, or they can even wait until the trade deadline next year.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

For what it's also worth, it took Kidd 13 years to develop a reliable 3-pt shot. But more importantly, Jason Kidd played in a vastly different era. Teams that have PGs without range get exploited badly today. Even worse in the playoffs. Heck, even PGs with range, but are afraid to shoot get exploited. Lakers potential package has so much bust potential on every asset, I'd be nervous if I was a GM. The risks are well-known.

Ingram (blood clots)
      Ball (can't shoot)
      4th pick (who?)
      Kuzma (meh)

Pelicans aren't backed into a corner at all anymore. They just won the Zion sweepstakes. They can sit back and get an auction going at the draft, or they can even wait until the trade deadline next year.
      Are the Pelicans contending anytime in the next five year on any likely outcome with their roster? Probably not. So there's time to work with Ball.

Second point, they will be backed into a corner if AD still wants out. I never said they're there now. Never said the Lakers were the best option either. They're better than the Knicks though.

Comment

Would anyone here still offer siakam and OG for davis?
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Yup
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Yeah, he's a great asset. The Lakers really missed Ball on defense when he was out. The mix of LBJ wrecking Ball's flow because has no jumper and Ball's injuries led to a down sophomore year. Ball needs to be in the deal for it to make sense.
            I agree, Lonzo is a good point guard to pair with a star or two. Great defense and a ball mover, really needs to develop some scoring threats tho for sure and there is risk his shot is straight broke, but you need players like him. Plus you can get another really good player.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Ingram (blood clots)
              Ball (can't shoot)
              4th pick (who?)
              Kuzma (meh)

I think NYK's potential offer is much better than the Lakers', and it's more about contract protection (and the difference between 3rd and 4th). With Ingram up for free agency next year and Ball and Kuzma the following summer, Pelicans would be out of cap-room in a hurry. With Knox, Mitchell, and DSJ, they have longer salary control. Two years from now they could have Zion, RJ, Knox, Mitchell, DSJ all under contract for around $30 million, (plus any additional picks they can get from NYK, plus their own), and enough room to add two max free agents to that core during what could be a very deep free agency market.

Comment

That's a tough one.... but probably not. The asking price for AD will be high with a lot of teams in the hunt. Even if the Raptors dealt for him we'd have to give up more than just Siakam and OG. And that's just too high. We're thin already and we'd give up a big chunk of our rotation for a guy that legit has one foot out the door (Kawhi was an enigma because he never talked... Davis is talking and he's a Klutch guy on top of it).

Kawhi/AD for a year is super intriguing. But I just couldn't do it.

With hindsight I'd do the trade last deadline.. but it wasn't really available since Demps wanted to wait until the summer to make a deal. That way we'd have at least 2 playoff runs with him. I mean OG isn't playing because he's hurt.. and although Siakam was awesome against the Magic.. he's come back down to earth after he hurt his calf/hammy. Davis could have been a killer for us this post season.

Comment

Are the Pelicans contending anytime in the next five year on any likely outcome with their roster? Probably not. So there's time to work with Ball.

Second point, they will be backed into a corner if AD still wants out. I never said they're there now. Never said the Lakers were the best option either. They're better than the Knicks though.
                  You're never backed into a corner if you have at least 2 bidders. And the Pelicans will have considerably more than 2 bidders for Davis. Masai only had the Knicks and Nets (maybe) when he raided stripped the Knicks roster bare for pseudo-star, Carmelo Anthony.

Comment

I don't think we'd have a chance of outbidding Knicks/Lakers/Celtics, etc. Instead, tell Kawhi that our plan is to resign him, and then in the summer of 2021 go after Davis in free agency, and build a big 3 around Leonard, Siakam, and Davis. We'd have the room to offer Davis a max with our other contracts expiring, but we'd need a pretty big rebuild to the rest of our team.

Yeah, it's a long shot, we'd need a few other teams to fall flat in their efforts to create a winning situation for him. Still, I think we have non-zero odds there, which is better than our odds of trading for Davis.

Comment

100% all-day, everyday. Of course, that assumes both AD & Kawhi sign long term. Kawhi & AD would be an unstoppable inside-outside duo.... on both ends of the court.

OG is a nice defensive role player, but he isn't going to be anything special on offense. Low-to-medium usage 3&D, at best.

Comment

Happy that the two top picks went to small market teams out west.

Might Memphis not want Barrett at #2?

Comment

Id think about it for a while and say yes. Davis is going to miss 30 games a year and I trust him to stay much less than Kawhi, which makes it tough. This being said, you make that trade then unload one of Gasol/Ibaka for a decent shooting 3/4 and you have a really good team.

The real struggle for me would be that AD is going to be traded on draft day most likely and you still dont know what Kawhi is doing at that point.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Id think about it for a while and say yes. Davis is going to miss 30 games a year and I trust him to stay much less than Kawhi, which makes it tough. This being said, you make that trade then unload one of Gasol/Ibaka for a decent shooting 3/4 and you have a really good team.

The real struggle for me would be that AD is going to be traded on draft day most likely and you still dont know what Kawhi is doing at that point.
                            Yeah it would have to hinge on Kawhi, Uncle D and Masai having a back door agreement in place by draft. I mean Kawhi already knows what every offer is, because he's getting max offers from any team with space, and us. So at that point there's really not much leverage to be gained by not telling Toronto
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Well, we would be at least even odds to win the chip this year so .....
                              Look I love Siakam but he's not exactly consistent yet and not a A-star or superstar. Anthony Davis is ....
                              And he just turned 26, Siakam just turned 25

I love OG too but to this point he's proven absolutely nothing but that he has potential (still)

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                Happy that the two top picks went to small market teams out west.

Might Memphis not want Barrett at #2?
                                There's definitely some Memphis fans who want Morant at #2; with Conley likely getting traded soon as part of their rebuild (or at least not resigned next summer), he fills an obvious need. I'm really hoping for them to pick Barrett because I'd much rather see him on a team that I like than on a team that I hate.

Comment

Working...
                                X