Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    It was a complete lack of class.

I don't see American GMs saying "Fuck this team, fuck that team". I've never seen any GM do it. This isn't a Canadian vs. American thing. This isn't a 'Canadians are too polite' thing. It has nothing to do with that.

It made Masai look and sound like a child.
    I tend to agree. He could've said all sorts of badass, hardcore stuff to get the crowd going, without resorting to the use of the word "fuck". I have no issue with the word, but if the goal is to attract more fans and especially younger fans, vulgarity isn't the most effective way to win over the Canadian mainstream public. Make your point, rally the troops, fan the flames of rivalry... just do so using class and respect.

Comment

I think Masai just got caught up in the moment. It doesn't seem to be a calculated move. Like he said, poor choice of words.

But make no mistake about it, he doesn't like Brooklyn.

Comment

Zach Lowe writes:

Winner: Masai Ujiri

Everyone in the T-Dot should pitch in and help the Raps pay the $25,000 fine the league levied for Ujiri’s F-bomb — the best part of which was Ujiri pausing, smiling, and obviously thinking about whether this was a smart thing to do. Was anyone offended by this? If you say you’d have been embarrassed if your team’s GM made such a comment, I don’t believe you.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

It's funny that all the articles about this have been about how the writer of the article doesn't care and that it fired up the team and it was good for the team/fans and how they personally don't care but that other people do. Who does? Brooklyn fans do, but they're supposed to. Who in the media has said what he's done is wrong? It's hilarious to me.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

It was a complete lack of class.

I don't see American GMs saying "Fuck this team, fuck that team". I've never seen any GM do it. This isn't a Canadian vs. American thing. This isn't a 'Canadians are too polite' thing. It has nothing to do with that.

It made Masai look and sound like a child.

It's funny that people often say that swearing is childish, yet I hear more people drop F bombs in my daily life among adults (daily commute, workplace, etc) than any of the high school kids that I coached for years. The cringing reaction is actually more child-like than the actual use.

But that's neither here nor there.

I would say that there has been many things done by Brooklyn to disrespect our team this season, culminating in their blatant desire to play us in the first round by resting all of the their starters in the season finale. So yes, it may be crass, but it's how we should feel about a team that doesn't respect us in a league where we have historically been disrespected for no reason other than "we in Canada", so there is a bit of nationality involved here.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I tend to agree. He could've said all sorts of badass, hardcore stuff to get the crowd going, without resorting to the use of the word "fuck". I have no issue with the word, but if the goal is to attract more fans and especially younger fans, vulgarity isn't the most effective way to win over the Canadian mainstream public. Make your point, rally the troops, fan the flames of rivalry... just do so using class and respect.
            I think it depends on exactly which demographic you are trying to attract. The under 13 crowd, sure, they might be put off by the F Bomb, but anyone from Junior High on wouldn't be. I'd bet a casual teenager (statistically the best consumer to attract) who saw that might look at it as a positive to see someone in a traditional authority position expressing themselves honestly and in a manner that can be related to.

In close, Fuck Brooklyn.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Are we trying to cater to fringe groups/brooklyn fans who found that offensive?

I can say that the vast majority of Torontonians were not offended by the use of "fuck". If anything, it creates some hoopla around the playoffs and may attract more fans by giving the team a character.

New fans may not realize the chip that's been on this team's shoulder the whole year. We've been playing with a "fuck you" attitude since December 7th. I'm glad we're keeping it up.
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                I think it depends on exactly which demographic you are trying to attract. The under 13 crowd, sure, they might be put off by the F Bomb, but anyone from Junior High on wouldn't be. I'd bet a casual teenager (statistically the best consumer to attract) who saw that might look at it as a positive to see someone in a traditional authority position expressing themselves honestly and in a manner that can be related to.
                I completely agree. As I said, I have no issue myself. I was referring more to the non-traditional fans, who've never really followed basketball or possibly never followed sports at all. Obviously kids would naturally be all over it. My observation was just that he could have had the same impact, without resorting to language that might turn off some would-be fans. If we weren't in a market that was still trying to build the fanbase for both the Raptors and basketball in general, I wouldn't have such thoughts, but Toronto/Canada doesn't have the luxury of already being at that point.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  It's funny that all the articles about this have been about how the writer of the article doesn't care and that it fired up the team and it was good for the team/fans and how they personally don't care but that other people do. Who does? Brooklyn fans do, but they're supposed to. Who in the media has said what he's done is wrong? It's hilarious to me.
                  Actually, what is really funny is that the OP has a podcast with Masai profusely apologizing multiple times for the choice of words in a public forum....and all those believing it was some kind of wonderful dont want to acknowledge that....the individual who made the comment is retracting his choice of words and looks sheepish doing it. The media? Many of them tend to be whores for eyeballs and earplugs these days.

Comment

It's funny that people often say that swearing is childish, yet I hear more people drop F bombs in my daily life among adults (daily commute, workplace, etc) than any of the high school kids that I coached for years. The cringing reaction is actually more child-like than the actual use.

But that's neither here nor there.

I would say that there has been many things done by Brooklyn to disrespect our team this season, culminating in their blatant desire to play us in the first round by resting all of the their starters in the season finale. So yes, it may be crass, but it's how we should feel about a team that doesn't respect us in a league where we have historically been disrespected for no reason other than "we in Canada", so there is a bit of nationality involved here.
                    If you want respect, win.

Saying 'Fuck Brooklyn'? This doesn't get you any respect. At least, none that matters.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I completely agree. As I said, I have no issue myself. I was referring more to the non-traditional fans, who've never really followed basketball or possibly never followed sports at all. Obviously kids would naturally be all over it. My observation was just that he could have had the same impact, without resorting to language that might turn off some would-be fans. If we weren't in a market that was still trying to build the fanbase for both the Raptors and basketball in general, I wouldn't have such thoughts, but Toronto/Canada doesn't have the luxury of already being at that point.
                      I'm honestly not sure there is a fan base that would appeal to MLSE (terms of demographics and spending power) that would be put off, so imo, there is no "fall-out" by doing it.

I also don't think a different term carries the same level of resonance. Let's be honest, the word Fuck is one of a kind in the English language. It immediately emotes strong feelings in 4 simple letters than no amount of Ned Flanders talk could ever do. It's simple, to the point, and easy to relate to.

Can you honestly think of another way he could have said that, in 2 words, that would carry as well? I can't.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Saying 'Fuck Brooklyn'? This doesn't get you any respect. At least, none that matters.
                        I think it gives the impression that we don't give a "fuck" whether we get respect or not. We are who we are and we're gonna fight till the end.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

It's not intended to get respect, it's intended to convey the message that we wont stand for your disrespect and see you on the court. I guess Superjudge said it right the first time, "You either get it or you don't. You don't. I can't help you. "

Comment

Can you honestly think of another way he could have said that, in 2 words, that would carry as well? I can't.
                            "Yay team!"

:|

Comment

Frankly, it's the kind of thing I'd expect Rob Ford to say.

I like to see leaders and people in positions of power speak and act with a little decorum, but hey, that's just me.
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

It's not intended to get respect, it's intended to convey the message that we wont stand for your disrespect and see you on the court. I guess Superjudge said it right the first time, "You either get it or you don't. You don't. I can't help you. "

I definitely get it, I just think it's lame, and weak.
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X