Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2, NBA FINALS: Golden State Warriors @ Toronto Raptors - Sunday June 2nd, 8pm ET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    Having the extra day off is a real benefit to the Raptors. GS is using a larger pool of guys in the game. Did they have ten or eleven different players on the floor? Raptors are limited to eight. It looks like OG is coming back but he will probably be out of shape a bit. The rotation guys need an extra day to recoup and rest.

In addition, it looks like Nurse is reacting to the opposing team more effectively than his opponents are. I expect the Raptors to be more ready for Golden State than Golden State is for the Raptors. It sounds like BS when the GS players and coach talk about not being ready for the Raptors because "We haven't played them much," but they sure played like they hadn't done any prep at all.

We will see, but I am expecting a Raptors team to come out ready and prepped for Game 2.
    I think that GSW was physically ready. I think GSW had a not-unreasonable game plan.

I do not think that the players were completely mentally ready for the Raptors. GSW just played two teams (Houston and Portland) where they will win a talent-versus-talent battle every time. Lillard and McCollum, especially without Nurkic? Check. Houston with Harden but with an aging Paul? Check. Toronto's team chemistry on both ends of the floor combined with the level and diversity of talent they are able to put out on the floor, and the ability of Nick Nurse to make the calls that maximize that talent mean that GSW is not talented enough without Durant and with Iguodala at 60-70% to just show up and do their usual our-talent-against-your-talent things and blow the Raptors out of the water. I'm not convinced that can do this successfully on the back end of the series if they end up without Iguodala and with Durant only at 60-70% either.

I don't think this is all on Kerr, either. In particular, it sounds like he knew that GSW needed to get back quickly on transition all game, but the players were playing the same game they've been playing for at least the past two rounds, and probably beyond, confident that no team in the league had the horses to outplay them in transition, never mind having the audacity to gameplan to do it. If four years of extreme playoff success have fossilized the minds of the GSW players into playing a very specific brand of basketball to the point where they cannot make the types of adaptations that their coach wants them to, they may very well be in trouble against a very adaptable Raptors team.

Here's the other thing: GSW has had the mindset in the Durant era of playing talent-against-talent and just trusting the talents to do their thing. (And let's be fair: when you have Curry/Thompson/Durant/Green/Iguodala and a good game plan, or even just Curry/Thompson/Green, that is going to be a recipe for success 90% of the time). GSW does not play transcendent team basketball; they play thoroughly well-coached transcendent individual basketball games. Toronto doesn't have the same number of all-NBA-level talents as a fully healthy GSW team does but they have played deliberate team basketball the entire season, and the playoff gauntlet they have come through has shaped them into a team that plays team basketball at a level I'm not sure I've seen in the past ten years. And that combined with Toronto's talent level means that GSW is facing a kind of challenge they haven't really faced in the playoffs before: can your talents really come together and play as a team rather than just a bunch of individual talents that have complementary skill sets and good playing habits together?

What does that mean for this series and for game 2? Well, I have no doubt that Kerr will make adjustments for game 2, but I wonder whether the GSW players have the level of team chemistry and synchronicity needed for the players to adapt to changes which are primarily the responsibility of other players. For instance, it is very likely that Kerr will want Green to play Siakim tighter because Siakim has the height/speed/lateral quicks/smarts to score on Green if he doesn't. Are the other GSW players going to be able to adapt their defense to account for not being able to simply drive their player towards Green when Green is most of the way out to the 3-point line so that Siakim can't use his first step to open a seam if he gets the ball? Are the other players ready to do the switching or doubling they will need to do because Green isn't able to roam the paint to the same extent?

Maybe GSW can make the leap, transcending their individual tendencies, and learning to play as a true team; maybe they can't. But we get to watch them try, and that means we get to watch some incredible games this June one way or the other, and it means the Raptors have a much better chance than most bookies and many talking heads have given them to win the championship.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

My boy McCaw going to have a big game 2
      Man landsberg is starting to look old sadly.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Holy shit this giannis quote. Raptors changed him. Still sees marc in his sleep
        3 Things I take from this:

1. You can't just barrel through the paint for a dunk or kickout every single time. Doesn't matter who you are. The game of basketball requires more finesse, skill and decision making then that. Giannis understands this. Budenholzer on the other hand seemed to have neutered a budding mid-range shot Giannis was trying to develop, and said I "I just want dunks. layups and 3's". Didn't work.

2. The way you play will have different impacts on you physically. He's young, but you can't ride a guy for ~78 games reg season games with that kind of explosion, without expecting some sort of wear-tear in the post-season. Load management is real.

3. Giannis to the Raptors in 2021 confirmed.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

3 Things I take from this:

1. You can't just barrel through the paint for a dunk or kickout every single time. Doesn't matter who you are. The game of basketball requires more finesse, skill and decision making then that. Giannis understands this. Budenholzer on the other hand seemed to have neutered a budding mid-range shot Giannis was trying to develop, and said I "I just want dunks. layups and 3's". Didn't work.

2. The way you play will have different impacts on you physically. He's young, but you can't ride a guy for ~78 games reg season games with that kind of explosion, without expecting some sort of wear-tear in the post-season. Load management is real.

3. Giannis to the Raptors in 2021 confirmed.
          It has been reported that Masai was instrumental in having Giannis' family to emigrate to Greece. He then tried quite desperately to get into his draft to get him for the Raps. It wont be surprising if MU pulls off another diamond heist in '21 (or before ...if GA tells the Bucks he'd like to leave).

I am going to stop daydreaming now. Reality isn't so bad right now either.

Comment

Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Sat Jun 1, 2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

It has been reported that Masai was instrumental in having Giannis' family to emigrate to Greece.
              This has only ever been reported by Doug Smith of the Toronto Star, who is not exactly a good/reliable source. Masai would have been 21 when the Antetokounmpo family emigrated from Nigeria to Greece. It's more likely that Masai helped Giannis get his citizenship papers later on in life.

In this video Giannis says Masai helped him and his family during his years in the league.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...M0&app=desktop

There's a connection there for sure, and Masai clearly wanted Giannis, but free agency is still two years away, and anything can happen until then.

Comment

Both teams are so relaxed I'm amazed and don't know what to think.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Beautiful Saturday afternoon out..
                  what better thing to do then to rewatch Game 1 of the 2019 NBA Finals, except on the American feed this time.

Depending on how this goes, I may watch every game in both. ... Childish as it may be, I've been waiting my whole adult life for this.

https://nbahdreplay.com/nba-finals-g...s-30-may-2019/

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

This has only ever been reported by Doug Smith of the Toronto Star, who is not exactly a good/reliable source. Masai would have been 21 when the Antetokounmpo family emigrated from Nigeria to Greece. It's more likely that Masai helped Giannis get his citizenship papers later on in life.

In this video Giannis says Masai helped him and his family during his years in the league.

There's a connection there for sure, and Masai clearly wanted Giannis, but free agency is still two years away, and anything can happen until then.

Yeah itll be hard to sign him with Kawi, Pascal and Davis already signed to long term deals

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      what better thing to do then to rewatch Game 1 of the 2019 NBA Finals, except on the American feed this time. ]
                      Watching something now called NBA TV Film Room. They are reviewing game 1 play by play. At one of the Siakim leakouts they say “Toronto must have known something about Golden State’s transition defence”. You’re hearing that a lot. Kerr mentioned postgame that their transition defence was bad. But how do you defend a Siakim leak out? He is the fastest guy on the court, he runs all the way and as long as Lowry can hit him with the pass, what is there to defend? It’s like saying their free throw defence is bad. Sure there are other transition opportunities they can clean up but that’s a tough one unless you glue someone to Pascal.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

Haha that was a torturous interview... and a tampering trap question for GA too.. The Bucks are not letting him go easy for sure.
                        Was Masai a scout at 21? I read a piece on Nurse who was a player/coach at 23 in England and I think there was a hookup w/Masai there. These are interesting connections in any case.

Comment

Iam calling it now the Raptors are gonna blowout the dubs tommorow. I can feel it.

Comment

GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                            what better thing to do then to rewatch Game 1 of the 2019 NBA Finals, except on the American feed this time.

Depending on how this goes, I may watch every game in both. ... Childish as it may be, I've been waiting my whole adult life for this.

https://nbahdreplay.com/nba-finals-g...s-30-may-2019/
                            That was totally worth it, so great to get to take in both broadcasts.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              Just posted an article from the Ringer in the FVV thread. Goes over the crazy stat of how Curry shot when guarded or not guarded by Freddy.
                              "Curry played 80 offensive possessions Thursday night. On the 47 possessions when other Raptors guarded him, he had 30 points while shooting 7-for-12 from the field and 4-for-6 from 3. On the 33 possessions VanVleet guarded him, he had four while shooting 1-for-6 from the field, missing all three 3s he attempted."

I know this may seem like heresy and there's no point fixing what's not broken but...any point in starting Freddy? Putting him on Steph really frees up Kawhi to not have to do that. Fred on Steph, Kyle on Iggy, Kawhi on Draymond, Pascal on Klay and Marc on (insert big here). Might limit the bench point guard play and may be an unneeded slight to Danny when he's just getting his shot back. But maybe it's a fivesome they play a bit more. For reference, the starting lineup played 15 minutes and was -2 while a Fred for Green lineup played 13 minutes and was +10 (half w Marc and half with Serge)

https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=diff_pts
                              Interesting proposition but there is a match-up issue with other players. For sure Danny has difficulty guarding Steph. He is slower and appears to get easily hung up on the picks / screens set for the GSW shooter. Freddy has a knack for getting by picks / screens and getting a hand-up to harrass Steph's shot. He is too small though to guard Klay. Same with Kyle although he would be better than Freddy. So if Kawhi takes Klay, then Kyle has to guard a big which poses a match-up problem for Toronto.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

Haha that was a torturous interview... and a tampering trap question for GA too.. The Bucks are not letting him go easy for sure.
                                Was Masai a scout at 21? I read a piece on Nurse who was a player/coach at 23 in England and I think there was a hookup w/Masai there. These are interesting connections in any case.
                                According to wiki Masai didn't become a scout till 2002. Giannis's family migrated in 1991.

Masai was likely in school in 1991. He played for MSU Billings in 1995-96.
                                https://billingsgazette.com/sports/c...cc4c002e0.html
                                That would line up with the six years he then spent playing pro ball in Europe.

Like it's possible Doug got it right, but I think if Masai was helping Giannis's family at that age, before Giannis was even born, while Masai was in school, then it would have been confirmed as part of the story by now. It would be pretty incredible.

I'm not trying to throw a damper on Giannis talk, just that we shouldn't get carried away when the facts are a little shaky. I know some media members read this forum, one of them should ask exactly what the connection is.

Comment

Working...
                                X