Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2, NBA FINALS: Golden State Warriors @ Toronto Raptors - Sunday June 2nd, 8pm ET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inthepaint wrote: View Post

That's an incredible stat. His ability to anticipate how the opposing offensive play will develop 2 or 3 steps in advance (which allows him to plant himself in the right spot beforehand), is way, way above that of the average NBA player.

To me a charge is like a bucket in reverse. It's arguably better than a bucket, considering that besides preventing a basket on your end, you're adding to the opposing team's tally of personal/team fouls, and it's a deflating, momentum breaker. It's also the ultimate hustle, "not in my house" play that energizes your own team. It's not as esthetic as a clean shot-block, but it always gives you the possession of the ball back (which blocks don't), and if the team is in the bonus you're shooting free throws.
    That's a VERY GOOD point.

Comment

Never understood why Charges aren't counted in with Steals or Blocks, or counted at all as legitimate stats ... it's basically the same thing as a steal or a block, in terms of what it does for your team.

Comment

I was surprised not to see Bogut and also that Norm Powell played only 5 mins. Let's keep the Scrappy Streak going.
        Last edited by Zak24gege; Fri May 31, 2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

suspenders wrote: View Post
          Any thoughts about what the Warriors might do next game? Will they stop double teaming Kawhi in favour of Pascal? Or send a lot more help defenders to Pascal, similar to what the 76ers did?

Are they going to try and make Lowry, Gasol, and Green beat them? Hmmmm...
          I think that's what we'll see as GSW adjustments (and our possible counter-adjustments):

Adj.: They won't stop doubling Kawhi, but if he's sitting and Pascal is on, they'll double Pascal in the post
          Counter: Station corner 3 shooters and a cutting big, as these are Pascal's preferred outlet targets when he's doubled

Adj.: They will re-focus their defence on the perimeter
          Counter: that will open the paint more, particularly for Gasol. Ibaka/Gasol should be cutting and on the look out for outlet entry passes and/or lobs on this one, as I think GSW will be aggressivley trying to lock down their perimeter

Adj.: They might put their centre on Pascal for stretches.
          Counter: Have our centre attack whoever is guarding them in the post (as it will be a smaller player if their C on Siakam)

Comment

Our offence is a matchup problem for Golden State, particularly our starting frontcourt.

Kawhi, Siakam and Gasol have very diversified ways to approach the basket and to pass

--Kawhi always needs too much attention from the defence and he mixes up his offence a lot between a perimeter, outside, and the in-between game. GS can guard him, but requires tremedous energy.

--Siakam requires a strong post-presence to defend him (his best defenders were Embiid and Lopez this year). The defender's wingspan need to be a lot higher the Siakam's own for him to be tamed, because he's so quick. GS doesn't have anyone like that. Looney & Bell are 6'9" (same as Siakam). Boogie is 6'11 but boogie doesn't guard no one, let alone Siakam. They're best bet is Draymond (at 6'7", but a clever defender). The problem is Draymond need to shade Kawhi too so he's got his hands very full.

--Gasol is a Centre that plays outside with extremely high court-vision and ability to shoot the 3. That makes GS extremely uncomfortable and vulnerable on their D. They're not used to that. They're used to centres like Clint Capella, Steven Adams, Gobert & Aldridge. They already have weak rim protection, and when we're pulling away whatever weak rim protection they've got out of their paint, it's a banquet for Siakam & Leonard.

Basically, when all 3 of Kawhi-Siakam-Gasol are on, it's a problem for them. That's why that trio outscored their frontcourt 75-18. It's just too many holes to plug. All 3 of our frontcourt players are great passers (Kawhi making huge strides this post-seaon on that), so in the rare event things are to mucked up between them, they'll still be able to find someone open in the perimeter.

If I'm GS I'd try Bogut (7'0") to see if they can control some of that frontcourt damage, but it won't be easy

Comment

I still can't picture "Your NBA Champion Toronto Raptors"...its like only video games or dreams you wake up from..

We need to win game 2. Durant is coming back. Nobodies just "happy to be here" anymore. This is real
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                Never understood why Charges aren't counted in with Steals or Blocks, or counted at all as legitimate stats ... it's basically the same thing as a steal or a block, in terms of what it does for your team.
                It's counted as a turnover by the guy charging.

Comment

LOL I love Mean Tweets. This one featuring Kyle Lowry, Danny Green, Kevin Durant, Joell Embiid, and Ballmer and the Clippers. Very Raptors-centric

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I repeat: Biggest Game in Franchise's History
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

However, if it was a 'counting stat', it might lead to an increase in the amount of flopping done by players as it would be leverage in contract negotiations etc.

Comment

I'd say it's even better then a steal or block for your team.

Steals get you a possession, but don't stop an imminent bucket (it usually happens disturbing a dribble or passing lane)

Blocks are the opposite. They stop an imminent bucket, but don't get you a possession (ball usually goes out of bounds and sometimes to another offensive player)

Charges do both. They stop an imminent bucket, give you the possession AND add a foul to the other team (getting them closer to foul trouble and bonus free throws). It's the ultimate defensive play, and only players with a very high degree of court vision and position awareness can pull it off effectively at the speed the NBA is played.
                        Last edited by inthepaint; Fri May 31, 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

suspenders wrote: View Post
                          Any thoughts about what the Warriors might do next game? Will they stop double teaming Kawhi in favour of Pascal? Or send a lot more help defenders to Pascal, similar to what the 76ers did?

Are they going to try and make Lowry, Gasol, and Green beat them? Hmmmm...
                          1- Stop our transition game.
                          2- Reduce turnovers.
                          3- Trying to let players other than Curry and Thompson score.

Kerr is a hell of a coach, and he knows that game 2 is the cornerstone of this series

Comment

Golden states adjustments are fascinating to me. I mean Draymond is there best defender. You take him off Pascal that is only going to help Pascal. Any tactical changes/doubling is only going to open things up for Kawhi. They guarded Kawhi the same way they guarded Lillard and Harden. Can’t see them making too many changes.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                              Golden states adjustments are fascinating to me. I mean Draymond is there best defender. You take him off Pascal that is only going to help Pascal. Any tactical changes/doubling is only going to open things up for Kawhi. They guarded Kawhi the same way they guarded Lillard and Harden. Can’t see them making too many changes.
                              No way, they need to score more and if you bear in mind that Kawhi and Lowery did not score well, then it is gonna be really bad if they play their game. Warriors main problem is to score through guys other than Curry and Thompson.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                                I could see Golden State using Looney, like the Sixers used Embiid, to sag off Pascal and dare him to shoot 3's. That frees up Draymond to check Gasol and also dare him to shoot 3's and roam/help when he goes passive. Looney has a 7-3 wingspan looks like a good defender. They just have to go back and look at the Sixers series.... Raps never really figured out that defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X