Why "selling high" on DeMar doesn't make sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSF wrote: View Post
    Even if people think one of the three or so snubs that don't make the team are better than you, that still puts you top 15 in your conference
    That's why I said an all-star appearance basically shows you're a top 30 player. Maybe top 40 at worst if you're in the East. Either way you're in the upper echelon of players in the league.

DeRozan is the 60th highest paid player in the league (http://espn.go.com/nba/salaries/_/page/2), but top 30 or so in terms of performance while also being younger than the majority of the other guys in the top 30.

Underpaid. Simple as that. Getting more bang for your buck.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      I think we should all agree to stop using 'All-Star' as if it's some kind of objective measurement for talent. It isn't.
      Actually, in the context of "selling high" on Demar, the fact that he is already an All-Star is an excellent measurement. Why? Because it is voted on by the other NBA coaches. So, if I'm Ujiri it tells me that potential "buyers" of Demar have a high opinion of him, regardless of the flaws that we might see on a day to day basis. Perception matters A LOT, in this case and the accomplishment is quite relevant.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Actually, in the context of "selling high" on Demar, the fact that he is already an All-Star is an excellent measurement. Why? Because it is voted on by the other NBA coaches. So, if I'm Ujiri it tells me that potential "buyers" of Demar have a high opinion of him, regardless of the flaws that we might see on a day to day basis. Perception matters A LOT, in this case and the accomplishment is quite relevant.
        I would be weary putting so much confidence into the all-star voting process, there is obviously some politics involved, joe johnson made it.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
          I would be weary putting so much confidence into the all-star voting process, there is obviously some politics involved, joe johnson made it.
          Golden isn't talking about putting "confidence" into the process. He's saying that the fact that someone is voted in means their held in high regard around the league (particularly by the coaches if you're a reserve), which means the guy actually has very high league-wide value.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            I agree with this; however, the statement I was commenting on was not referring to this context.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
            X