Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite part of the Raptors being in the Finals ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guyroch wrote: View Post
    I have always felt like being a Raptor fan in Toronto is like being a second class citizen . I am just loving that people like my wife who would never watch basketball are now glued for 3 hours watching the NBA Finals . I love that that radio stations who covered NBA playoffs and finals previously as a back page story are now talking Raptors 24/7 ...
    I'm loving that this moment in basketball history is shaping our kids' outlook of sports in Canada. We are far from being "just" a hockey town/country. The interest in basketball within Canada spiked in the VC era and it's done so once again. Looking forward to seeing the Canadian talent that will reach the NBA in the future as a result of this playoff run.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm loving that this moment in basketball history is shaping our kids' outlook of sports in Canada. We are far from being "just" a hockey town/country. The interest in basketball within Canada spiked in the VC era and it's done so once again. Looking forward to seeing the Canadian talent that will reach the NBA in the future as a result of this playoff run.
      I would love to see a statistic on where basketball compares to baseball in Canada amongst the under 30 crowd...or even moreso, the under 20 crowd.

It'll never compete with hockey, but if basketball could one day establish a baseball like foothold in Canada that would be amazing
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

It's just a surreal experience (which I love). Also, the euphoria - winning game 6 and game 1 - doesn't hurt.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I would love to see a statistic on where basketball compares to baseball in Canada amongst the under 30 crowd...or even moreso, the under 20 crowd.

It'll never compete with hockey, but if basketball could one day establish a baseball like foothold in Canada that would be amazing
          Maybe not out where you are in the prairies, but 10-20 years from now, basketball will most definitely compete with hockey in the city of Toronto and surrounding areas. The demographic here is changing rapidly. You're seeing major new community centers being built without hockey arenas as the rule, not the exception and more and more indoor/outdoor basketball courts. You're seeing more standup basketball hoops on the street, not hockey nets. Half of my son's friends don't even follow hockey, but they know Lebron James, Steph Curry and the main Raptors.

The stats aren't registering yet because the powers that be (advertisers, media giants, etc...) haven't figured out how to gain full control of on-line streaming revenue yet.

Comment

All the basketball/Raptors bandwagoners who have no clue what they're talking about.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Maybe not out where you are in the prairies, but 10-20 years from now, basketball will most definitely compete with hockey in the city of Toronto and surrounding areas. The demographic here is changing rapidly. You're seeing major new community centers being built without hockey arenas as the rule, not the exception and more and more indoor/outdoor basketball courts. You're seeing more standup basketball hoops on the street, not hockey nets. Half of my son's friends don't even follow hockey, but they know Lebron James, Steph Curry and the main Raptors.

The stats aren't registering yet because the powers that be (advertisers, media giants, etc...) haven't figured out how to gain full control of on-line streaming revenue yet.
              Interesting. Yeah, we're a LOT further away from that around here. Very conservative region as you guys know, and I'm in the heart of conservative country. You still get a lot of the "basketball players are pussies" "ego" and yes even the, "thugs" type of veiled comments...and I'm talking from guys in their 20s, not just old men.

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                All the basketball/Raptors bandwagoners who have no clue what they're talking about.
                I love the bandwagoners. The more the merrier I say. Those bandwagoners just might become real fans that join RR and go to bars regularly and force the tide of more and more basketball being available to more and more people. Nothing but a good thing.

Comment

Interesting. Yeah, we're a LOT further away from that around here. Very conservative region as you guys know, and I'm in the heart of conservative country. You still get a lot of the "basketball players are pussies" "ego" and yes even the, "thugs" type of veiled comments...and I'm talking from guys in their 20s, not just old men.
                  Gross. I'm sorry to hear that. Lol

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

I love the bandwagoners. The more the merrier I say. Those bandwagoners just might become real fans that join RR and go to bars regularly and force the tide of more and more basketball being available to more and more people. Nothing but a good thing.
                    Doubt it. I mean, look at the Blue Jays. Skydome was sold out every game in 2015 and 2016 season. Now you watch a Blue Jays game and there's like 3000-5000 people every game lol. Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

One of the gratifying things for me is that some people in my life, who rarely if ever watch basketball, have started watching since the Bucks series and they are pretty into the Finals. I'm even getting texts like, alright, this is more exciting than the hockey game. I also got my 80-year old mother in law hooked on it and now she's right into the games - I had to explain to her what a box-and-one defense was to her when I started shouting it out in the fourth quarter.

As for a foothold, I do think this matters. A lot of basketball fans out west, at least older ones, never card about the Raps because they both hate Toronto and because the organization was a complete irrelevancy to the NBA. If they manage to win, I think they'll convert some fans and they will definitely attract a whole new segment of young, casual sports fans. That's what you need to get a foothold.

Comment

A large portion of us RR guys were birthed by Vince Carter iirc..I know that's when I fell in love with the sport

so yes, these good times certainly do create life long fans

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Doubt it. I mean, look at the Blue Jays. Skydome was sold out every game in 2015 and 2016 season. Now you watch a Blue Jays game and there's like 3000-5000 people every game lol. Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon.
                          Well the Blue Jays are basically the worst team in the league are actually averaging higher attendance than Raps still ... ~20,000 vs ~19,800.

Not sure where you got 3,000. LOL

Comment

Well the Blue Jays are basically the worst team in the league are actually averaging higher attendance than Raps still ... ~20,000 vs ~19,800.

Not sure where you got 3,000. LOL
                            Blame Shi Davidi.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

I'll give a cheesy reply here..

It gives a fan like me vindication. A guy who's been following basketball a long time (first started when the Pistons were winning their first of their back 2 back and taking out Jordan along the way)... got hooked on the Raptors as I preferred them over the Grizzlies even though I was living in the 'Peg. Year after year just being disappointed but coming back.

Finding a forum like RR and spending hours upon hours every day of the week.. almost like an addict seeing what people are saying about the team I follow. Getting funny looks from my spouse when I'm on the internet hammering away on my keyboard, wondering what the heck I'm doing every day.

And still being disappointed and still coming back.

There is nothing like this feeling. A feeling I never ever though would transpire. So many hurdles along the way from becoming an actual contender to becoming an elite team that could win it all. It really is dream like.

I'm glad I stuck with this team.. and I'm glad I was alive to see this happen. It still feels a bit surreal to be honest. Just an amazing feeling and this high is going to last awhile too.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

One of the gratifying things for me is that some people in my life, who rarely if ever watch basketball, have started watching since the Bucks series and they are pretty into the Finals. I'm even getting texts like, alright, this is more exciting than the hockey game. I also got my 80-year old mother in law hooked on it and now she's right into the games - I had to explain to her what a box-and-one defense was to her when I started shouting it out in the fourth quarter.

As for a foothold, I do think this matters. A lot of basketball fans out west, at least older ones, never card about the Raps because they both hate Toronto and because the organization was a complete irrelevancy to the NBA. If they manage to win, I think they'll convert some fans and they will definitely attract a whole new segment of young, casual sports fans. That's what you need to get a foothold.
                                Yep me too. I've had a grandma, cousin, uncle and a couple friends all tell me they watched their first basketball game Start to finish sometime between game 5 bucks and game 1 warriors. I've explained over and back, how many fouls until you're out, and even what a foul is.

I should give Calgary SOME credot it's not just crotchety anti hoops people. Theres been a definite buzz In the city and province the last 10 days. People are pulling for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X