Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite part of the Raptors being in the Finals ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out and about earlier today doing an errand. Turned on the radio and TSN had an hour long program dedicated to the Raptors. During the middle of the day no less! This never happens. Toronto is a bandwagon city. People love 'events' here more than anything. So I'm hoping this lasts but suspect it won't. Toronto Raptors have a hungry fan base and both Bell and Rogers need to feed them. Even when the team is lousy.

Let's see what happens next year when the regular season starts. That's the true test to see if this season made an impact or not even if we win it all.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I was out and about earlier today doing an errand. Turned on the radio and TSN had an hour long program dedicated to the Raptors. During the middle of the day no less! This never happens. Toronto is a bandwagon city. People love 'events' here more than anything. So I'm hoping this lasts but suspect it won't. Toronto Raptors have a hungry fan base and both Bell and Rogers need to feed them. Even when the team is lousy.

Let's see what happens next year when the regular season starts. That's the true test to see if this season made an impact or not even if we win it all.
      If Kawhi resigns it will be huge too.

it still boggles my mind masai had to take a lot of shit last summer. Can you believe that? He was sweating and defensive in a press conference about acquiring Kawhi Leonard.

thank you, masai.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

it still boggles my mind masai had to take a lot of shit last summer. Can you believe that? He was sweating and defensive in a press conference about acquiring Kawhi Leonard.

thank you, masai.
        I mean, until the Thunder and Paul George and then Raps and Kawhi, it really has been an unwritten rule that you just don't trade for a disgruntled guy that doesn't explicitly say he wants to go there. If Kawhi signs, Masai basically singlehandedly eliminates a lot of the leverage/power that Players have given themselves over the last however many years.

Comment

I like how you casually snuck in a personal flex in the middle
          You presume much....could be a rowboat and a Hibatchi. Don't be jealous, it's never pretty

I guess I could have just answered "Kawhi" and you'd be happy lol
          Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Jun 4, 2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Feels just like November. That's what I like the most.

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Doubt it. I mean, look at the Blue Jays. Skydome was sold out every game in 2015 and 2016 season. Now you watch a Blue Jays game and there's like 3000-5000 people every game lol. Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon.
              Blue Jays attendance in 2015 an 2016 was 2.8M and 3.4M, nowhere near sellouts.
              They has seasons of 4+M from 1991-1992 so nowhere near a sellout recently but still, above AL average of just over 2M

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

I mean, until the Thunder and Paul George and then Raps and Kawhi, it really has been an unwritten rule that you just don't trade for a disgruntled guy that doesn't explicitly say he wants to go there. If Kawhi signs, Masai basically singlehandedly eliminates a lot of the leverage/power that Players have given themselves over the last however many years.
                I was in the camp of loving the trade even if it is one year. The proof is in the pudding, we're 3 wins away from the sports fans life long dream
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

thank you, masai.
                  I defended Masai through all of it. Every move he made, I 100% agreed with. Firing Casey and then trading Derozan for Kawhi. He got a ton of backlash for both of them, but they had to be done, and 1 year later, the Raptors are in the Finals.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

I dunno, man. If Kawhi stays, the Raptors pretty much had to get to the Finals to retain him. That takes some huge-ass "betting on yourself" cajones and luck (....4 bounces, anyone?). Only a handful of teams could even attempt that.... like the Sixers with Butler. I mean unforseen injuries alone could derail a perfectly conceived plan.

Comment

I also love that Masai's "Wait & See" strategy (way back when, holding onto BC's assets), paid off...BIGTIME.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        I also love that Masai's "Wait & See" strategy (way back when, holding onto BC's assets), paid off...BIGTIME.
                        You mean you weren't happy that we didn't Tank for Wiggins?

One of the reasons I was never on board with the tanking strategy is because you get a premium on the trade value for players on winning programs and a discount on players on losing teams.

A lot of people like me kept arguing that a winning culture, smart trades and internal player development and waiting for opportunistic situations to upgrade was an equally viable, if not better, path to success. Problem was that "winning culture" and "waiting for opportunities" kept getting thrown back in our faces as "treadmill team". Well, everybody is treadmill team until they make the finals, I guess. So, might as well just suck for a decade instead.

Good thing is with the lottery reform, it's going to be a lot harder to duplicate what Hinkie did with the Sixers and be successful. And Hinkie did the most extreme tanking, roster turnover and draft pick accumulation that we've ever seen.

Comment

Yep me too. I've had a grandma, cousin, uncle and a couple friends all tell me they watched their first basketball game Start to finish sometime between game 5 bucks and game 1 warriors. I've explained over and back, how many fouls until you're out, and even what a foul is.

I should give Calgary SOME credot it's not just crotchety anti hoops people. Theres been a definite buzz In the city and province the last 10 days. People are pulling for them.
                          Also, keep in mind, the city has no dog in the fight. The hockey game was on last night at a bar and there were maybe 10 people out of 100 really watching it and some other people keeping an eye on it.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

You mean you weren't happy that we didn't Tank for Wiggins?

One of the reasons I was never on board with the tanking strategy is because you get a premium on the trade value for players on winning programs and a discount on players on losing teams.

A lot of people like me kept arguing that a winning culture, smart trades and internal player development and waiting for opportunistic situations to upgrade was an equally viable, if not better, path to success. Problem was that "winning culture" and "waiting for opportunities" kept getting thrown back in our faces as "treadmill team". Well, everybody is treadmill team until they make the finals, I guess. So, might as well just suck for a decade instead.

Good thing is with the lottery reform, it's going to be a lot harder to duplicate what Hinkie did with the Sixers and be successful. And Hinkie did the most extreme tanking, roster turnover and draft pick accumulation that we've ever seen.
                            This was never a treadmill team. That nonsense was a product of this stupid "championship or bust" mentality that has infected the NBA and is ruining the league.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

This was never a treadmill team. That nonsense was a product of this stupid "championship or bust" mentality that has infected the NBA and is ruining the league.
                              It's funny, the better the team got... the higher the definition of treadmill became. lol.

Ironically, this year actually was a "championship or bust" season for the Raps and a ton of people hated on Masai for doing that..... so there's that. lol. But I hear you, my point is more that so many people were utterly convinced that you needed to burn it all down immediately, if you're not a so-called "legit championship contender". The worst part was the all-knowing lecturing tone that message was delivered with by the proponents of Tanking for Wiggins. There are different ways to define success and different ways to build a contender.... other than simply being a shitty team on purpose for as long as your fanbase can tolerate it.

Comment

The only argument for tanking that made sense (IMO) was on two occasions: once, right when Masai was actually trying to do so, when the 13-14 team looked so very broken, with the one real nigh-superstar on the team (Lowry) about to hit free agency in the summer and no sign he would be staying; and last summer, if no magical Kawhi deal cropped up, to be able to sell high on guys like DD, Lowry, Serge after a bunch of playoff runs over the past half decade, before they became expiring contracts the year after (and therefore lost value) or even the year after when they all bolt for nothing.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X