Vince Carter - Making Things Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    I was and still am a huge Vince Carter fan, but unless somebody convinces me that there aren't other alternatives for backup (and I repeat, backup) role player wings, then I see this as purely a marketing move, which is an unnecessary distraction.

I mean we plucked a guy like Anthony Parker out of Europe and he was terrific, even as a starter. Retread wings like Gerald Green and Mike Miller are having / had outstanding years. Then there are young players with upside who just need a chance (like Dorrell Wright, a few years ago). Honestly, I'd rather bring back Mo Pete as the backup SF, if he can still play and it's all about the 'happy ending'. Oh, I forgot D-Leaguers like Jamario Moon. Backup wings are a dime a dozen.

You know, it's kind of like renting out your basement to your ex-wife, while you're living upstairs with your new family. Why do that, if you've got other options? And it's totally unfair to the new family, too. Too many memories down there. It's a distraction you just don't need AND it is completely avoidable.
    Vince is still pretty damn good, would be cheap, and wants to play here.

He has a PER of 16 (above average), a TS% of .540 (above average for a swingman), and 3pt% of .400 (well above average). He still gets assists and rebounds (4 and 5 per 36), and has been doing this all in a reserve role coming off the bench for 20+ minutes a game. That sounds about eleventy billion times better than Salmons or anyone else you mentioned (are we using a time machine to sign Mo Pete? He hasn't played since 2010), and these numbers aren't even close to available from a D-Leaguer or anything like it.

Me thinks you're still super bitter about VC leaving and can't see clearly. We have a solid veteran who wants to play for us at a position of need, all the marketing (you know it'd be huge news) is just a plus, not a distraction.

Comment

Wow TrossTheBOSS really likes liking.
      Last edited by mike, prague; Fri May 2, 2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
        Here you go:

http://o.canada.com/sports/basketbal...s-were-in-town

Important quote from Vince:

“If (Toronto) gave me the opportunity, I don’t even think I’d let them finish the question. Yes. I’m in,”

“Could I see it? Absolutely,” Carter continued. “I’d leave that up to the franchise. It all started in Toronto, I’d be a fool to ever forget that.”

Not so fast! Those quotes from Vince are from years ago..

I'm pro bringing back Carter too and even started a thread on it a while back but I'm not sure it's going to happen! Yes Tim and Masai had the meeting and want to bring him back. Yes I believe he'll be embraced by the fans and not disrupt team chemistry as DD & TRoss worship him. Yes things would come full circle with the 20yr anniversary, All-Star game, retirement over the next few yrs. Yes he'd sign for low money (however would probably be incentive laden as his jerseys will fly off the shelf). Yes he'll get his minutes and be more productive than Salmon's but there a few big factors in the way...

Mark Cuban really loves him and wants him to stay in Dallas so he could offer more money. Vince has settled in Dallas over the last few yrs so he's comfortable now and loves Cuban along with his teammates. Vince has openly stated in the Dallas media over the last few mths that he wants to come back to the Mavericks. The big one- The Mavs made the playoffs and might even advance to round 2 now.

It really is 50/50 now so my fingers are crossed but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you really want this guy back?

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
            Unless showing kindness to your ex wife makes the absolute bombshell who just got out of a relationship in OKC give more thought to taking you up on a date offer.
            If we're delusional enough to think that welcoming back Demi Moore will somehow make us more appealing to Emma Watson then we deserve to wallow in our own hapless celibacy.

Comment

Raps76 wrote: View Post
              Not so fast! Those quotes from Vince are from years ago..

I'm pro bringing back Carter too and even started a thread on it a while back but I'm not sure it's going to happen! Yes Tim and Masai had the meeting and want to bring him back. Yes I believe he'll be embraced by the fans and not disrupt team chemistry as DD & TRoss worship him. Yes things would come full circle with the 20yr anniversary, All-Star game, retirement over the next few yrs. Yes he'd sign for low money (however would probably be incentive laden as his jerseys will fly off the shelf). Yes he'll get his minutes and be more productive than Salmon's but there a few big factors in the way...

Mark Cuban really loves him and wants him to stay in Dallas so he could offer more money. Vince has settled in Dallas over the last few yrs so he's comfortable now and loves Cuban along with his teammates. Vince has openly stated in the Dallas media over the last few mths that he wants to come back to the Mavericks. The big one- The Mavs made the playoffs and might even advance to round 2 now.

It really is 50/50 now so my fingers are crossed but I'm not getting my hopes up.

No one in Dallas is going to remember Vince when he's gone. No one will buy Vince's Mavericks jersey. No one in Dallas will push for VC to be inducted into the HoF. Dallas will never retire Vince's number. If Vince wants a legacy, there are plenty of Raptors fans like myself who will proudly start wearing our VC jerseys again and cheering for him like crazy. I'm sure he could pick up all kinds of commercials and what not once he's back too.
              Also, Dallas really isn't any closer to a NBA Championship than we are, especially being in the West, so there isn't a ton of incentive for Vince to stay other than a possibly higher payday, which I think would easily be offset by endorsements in Canada.

Comment

Can we have a everything Vince carter thread. Every couple of months the exact same topic comes up.

Or rather every time Vince does something resembling consciousness on the court.

Comment

I'm not concerned about who we get as a backup wing, as long as they are better than Fields/Salmons.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                    I'm not concerned about who we get as a backup wing, as long as they are better than Fields/Salmons.
                    Fields is solid as long as he could get his shot back but salmons is shit.

Fields probably won't because of his nerve damage ting
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Vince would be a huge upgrade over Salmons. Although it would be nice to have a rookie swingman or prospect off the bench to develop as we sunset Vince's career.

Comment

Outside of sentimental value Marion would be better than Carter. Cheap 2 year deal about the same as Carter but better from a roster standpoint.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          No one in Dallas is going to remember Vince when he's gone. No one will buy Vince's Mavericks jersey. No one in Dallas will push for VC to be inducted into the HoF. Dallas will never retire Vince's number. If Vince wants a legacy, there are plenty of Raptors fans like myself who will proudly start wearing our VC jerseys again and cheering for him like crazy. I'm sure he could pick up all kinds of commercials and what not once he's back too.
                          Also, Dallas really isn't any closer to a NBA Championship than we are, especially being in the West, so there isn't a ton of incentive for Vince to stay other than a possibly higher payday, which I think would easily be offset by endorsements in Canada.
                          I hope you're right but stranger things have happened..

Comment

Working...
                          X