X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iblastoff
    replied
    RPT23 wrote: View Post
    I hope it doesn't have to come down to a last second "winning' bucket by the good guys Raptor squad... I've had enough open heart surgeries during this series!

I'm looking for redemption by the Raptors to take it to the Nets and shove it up their candy @$$'!!!
    Have no fear. we can't run last second inbound plays anyway. We're not the mavs or portland and we don't have KD to will the ball in.

Leave a comment:

• TSF
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Objectively I'd say second best. Golden State has been good too.
    I'd give us the edge, simply because Oracle Arena hasn't had thousands of extra fans cheering on from outside the arena that you can hear for blocks. I was at Hoops Bar (in between Rogers Centre and the ACC) to grab a meal in between the end of Jays-Red Sox and the start of the Raptors game with some friends, and we could hear the fans from inside the bar over the music before we were done our meal, and this was over an hour before the game. You don't get that anywhere else, even Oracle.
    Last edited by TSF; Sun May 4, 2014, 06:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• consmap
    replied
    Damn Colangelo, maybe we shouldn't have fired you.

Leave a comment:

• RPT23
    replied
    I hope it doesn't have to come down to a last second "winning' bucket by the good guys Raptor squad... I've had enough open heart surgeries during this series!

I'm looking for redemption by the Raptors to take it to the Nets and shove it up their candy @$$'!!!

Leave a comment:

• RPT23
    replied
    I wish I could rec this 100000x!

Leave a comment:

• mike, prague
    replied
    RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    I can imagine what happens if Lowry or DD hit a game winning buzzer beater.

It would be insane.
    Lowry, DD or Tyler Hansborough swishing a last second half-court buzzer beater after being down two, wouldn't make a difference. Tomorrows crowd is going to be insane guaranteed.

Leave a comment:

• mike, prague
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    True but they haven't had as many appearances in the media as the fans or lack there of in the Toronto - Brooklyn series. It's definitely close though, plus do they have an insane group of Raptor lunatics cheering on their team in front of their stadium during away and home games, rain or shine? Honest question ...
    Last edited by mike, prague; Sun May 4, 2014, 07:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    Great write up. The fans really need to get all over the refs tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    mike, prague wrote: View Post
    Toronto definitely has definitely had the best crowd in the playoffs so far even just when you look at all the media that it has brought to this series love it!

Leave a comment:

replied
    I can imagine what happens if Lowry or DD hit a game winning buzzer beater.

It would be insane.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    Fantastic read

Puffer wrote: View Post
    And Kyle Lowry, as the short, slightly pudgy looking super hero, might be more of an appealing worship figure for 12-18 year old juveniles marketing wise than LeBron, been a superior male specimen since he was 10 years old, James.
    They are also playing the underdog card to not only increase our fan crazyness....but to promote the Raptor, everyone likes to cheer for an underdog.

Leave a comment:

• bryan colangelo
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I think that Tim and Masai are two very bright guys who are at the front of a pile of bright men and women who have grabbed an opportunity they were planning to make for themselves, as you suggest.

As you also say, and I agree (except in cases where an owner is a Russian billionaire) basketball is about money and marketing. And the NBA is one of the premier sports associations in the world. You may very well have it right about the impact of the fanbase on the NBA head office and their revenue projections for various scenarios.

And Kyle Lowry, as the short, slightly pudgy looking super hero, might be more of an appealing worship figure for 12-18 year old juveniles marketing wise than LeBron, been a superior male specimen since he was 10 years old, James.
    Toronto has had some great storylines all season — but ESPN, TNT and NBA have been doing a really bad job covering them until the playoffs. Kyle Lowry's All-Star snubs pretty much sums up how little everyone outside of Toronto knew about the team.

The Raptors PR/Marketing team has done a good job taking the bull by the horns and spoon-feeding them a story to tell.

(Although I have to give a shout-out to Grantland's editorial staff, for giving us love all season).

Leave a comment:

• bryan colangelo
    replied
    Thanks guys. It just occurred to me last night as I was thinking about how Jason Kidd was working the refs. Sure it's annoying, but that Raptors have been leveraging the fans to not only work the refs, but sports media and the league.

I think there are US media folks hoping for a Toronto/Miami series because we've done a great job making the prospect of a Miami/Brooklyn series look boooooooring. We would still get our asses handed to ass by the Heat, but I think with an insane crowd and US vs THEM narrative we can draw in more US viewers, which will effect how the games are called and how long we extend the series.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Good write-up. You make good points. I certainly agree with your "F--k Brooklyn" analysis...that was pure marketing genius, and I too believe it was said only to bring attention to the Raps and the series.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    I think that Tim and Masai are two very bright guys who are at the front of a pile of bright men and women who have grabbed an opportunity they were planning to make for themselves, as you suggest.

As you also say, and I agree (except in cases where an owner is a Russian billionaire) basketball is about money and marketing. And the NBA is one of the premier sports associations in the world. You may very well have it right about the impact of the fanbase on the NBA head office and their revenue projections for various scenarios.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X