Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Raps are struggling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why the Raps are struggling

    It has nothing to do with the officiating.

    It has little to do with the coaching (can't say nothing).

    It has everything to do with match ups.

    Ross has a negative PER and winshares for the series. I don't think we need to look into any further metrics to determine that he's been awful, the eye test does that for us. Salmons hasn't been much better. Neither of them can guard Joe Johnson, but Casey literally doesn't have anyone else to throw on him with Fields out (aside from DD, who is getting abused when tasked with Johnson). In a close series between evenly matched teams, one matchup is enough to swing a series (Houston's inability to deal with Aldridge without killing their offense by playing Asik is a perfect example).

    In contrast, the Raps have been completely unable to take advantage of the Nets playing small because their PFs can't post up effectively. Ditto Jonas with the Nets' bigs, though this is a baffling combination of coach, players and foul trouble conspiring to keep the ball out of his hands.

    In other words, the Nets have been able to successfully exploit their matchup advantages while the Raps have not. You can blame that on coaching if you like, but that's not going to make Terrence Ross taller or suddenly give Amir a strong post game.

    It's often said that in the NBA, the team with the best player in the series usually moves on. Well, as much as Raps fans don't want to hear it, Joe Johnson has been the best player in the series, and it's due entirely to matchups. And if he's the best player on the floor in game 7, the Raps are going to be in serious trouble.

  • #2
    I still don't understand why Fields is not getting significant minutes guarding JJ.

    Comment


    • #3
      Landry is not playing because Casey is a terrible coach.Its also why PPat not starting over Amir and why Jonas sits third Quarters.My question is why Casey is using essentially regular season rotations in the playoffs. Our starters are young yet play fewer minutes than Nets players

      Comment


      • #4
        They're struggling because they are short players.

        The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.

        They also lack a true backup C. They have an advantage when Jonas is on the court, but when he gets in foul trouble, or needs a break there's nothing on the bench that can serve as an adequate replacement for him.

        LOTS OF people throwing out the baby with the bath water here recently. Blaming players and the coach for personnel issues while conveniently forgetting that the Raps are a rebuilding squad. To my count they have 7 players and a bunch of bodies. This team will improve by filling the 2 most obvious holes and maturing together. Enough with the fictional apocalypse already...lmao

        Comment


        • #5
          blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          They're struggling because they are short players.

          The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.

          They also lack a true backup C. They have an advantage when Jonas is on the court, but when he gets in foul trouble, or needs a break there's nothing on the bench that can serve as an adequate replacement for him.

          LOTS OF people throwing out the baby with the bath water here recently. Blaming players and the coach for personnel issues while conveniently forgetting that the Raps are a rebuilding squad. To my count they have 7 players and a bunch of bodies. This team will improve by filling the 2 most obvious holes and maturing together. Enough with the fictional apocalypse already...lmao
          Well said.
          The Double Champ is here!
          Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
          Raptors: Larry O'Brien

          Comment


          • #6
            psrs1 wrote: View Post
            I still don't understand why Fields is not getting significant minutes guarding JJ.
            Is he healthy enough? He's got the nerve issues. He also had back spasms.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

            Comment


            • #7
              It feels like its Raptors vs Casey.

              Comment


              • #8
                3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Is he healthy enough? He's got the nerve issues. He also had back spasms.
                Other than Game 1 and 4, he`s been dressed. So its not a health issue it seems. At least, not enough of one to be placed on the inactive roster.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

                Comment


                • #9
                  blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                  They're struggling because they are short players.

                  The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.
                  That's exactly what I mean, these are match up issues caused by roster inadequacies. There isn't a damn thing Casey can do to make Fields healthy or restore his jump shot. He can't pull a backup centre out of his ass and he can't give Amir a post game. And yet so many fire Casey threads, so much doom and gloom. To me it's amazing that they've hung in there and won 3 games despite the fact that the Nets have significant roster/match up advantages.

                  edit: Just wanted to add as an example that if the Raps had a guy like Kirilenko, who is languishing away on the Nets' bench, he'd be getting 30+ mins a game for us.
                  Last edited by Lark Benson; Sat May 3rd, 2014, 07:29 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Every team has weaknesses. BKN has no interior nobody notices because Casey doesn't exploit. We have no SF its a glaring weakness because Kidd attacks it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      matchups or not, there is literally no ball movement at all. game 6 was probably the most evident of the series with DD hoisting up tough shots over and over in the FIRST quarter. this has been apparent throughout the first 5 games too. it almost seems like we rely more on brooklyn missing the basket than actual good plays being run.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Its not rocket science. Only 3-4 players have showed up...... the rest are failing miserably.


                        just average showings from Ross, Patterson, Novak, and Salmons and this series is already over.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Every team has weaknesses. BKN has no interior nobody notices because Casey doesn't exploit. We have no SF its a glaring weakness because Kidd attacks it.
                          How are you going to exploit it? Amir and Patterson have zero post games, and aren't heavy enough to simply back Pierece down into layup range. Agree they aren't taking advantage of JV enough, but the Nets figured out in game 3 that they could just shade him left and he becomes a turnover waiting to happen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not really.

                            The nets aren't "gaming" (hahah love it) for JV. They havent had to. Out side 2 guys, toronto has zero outside presence right now, like nothing.....start there bud, thats where your answers will be. Think, slight rotation and close out, instead of double and chase to fill holes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Superjudge wrote: View Post
                              Not really.

                              The nets aren't "gaming" (hahah love it) for JV. They havent had to. Out side 2 guys, toronto has zero outside presence right now, like nothing.....start there bud, thats where your answers will be. Think, slight rotation and close out, instead of double and chase to fill holes.
                              Soooooo think about how the matchups are determining the series and not the officiating, etc? Pretty sure that's why I started this thread....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X