Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time of the Year to evaluate these players ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time of the Year to evaluate these players ....

It is that time of a year that we need to sit down and evaluate the year and our players. Let me start by saying that I think it was a great year for this team. They moved some bad contracts, improved the defense and gained valuable experiences.

Ross: Not a starting Caliber SF in this league yet. Right now, he is showing potential for being a very solid 6th man in the future but not a star in this league. Time to improve that position if we want to compete for real next year.

Amir: Solid first big off the bench. He just does not have the ability to be a starter at that position. He disappeared in many games this season and this team needs a solid low post scorer. He still does not have control on his fouling. One good game this play off and almost fouling out in the early 3rd quarter. Not good for as a starting PF but he would be a good option for 6 per year as a 1st big off the bench.

Big Val: Some potential but needs a lot more work.

DD: A solid #2 on a championship team … He can play Robin to any of the batmen’s in this league and do a great job. 10 million is a reasonable contract for him.

Lowry: Solid #2 or #3 in a championship. He has his flaws and they have been discussed here. Anything more than 10 per year will be a waste of the money.

Vasquez: Decent 2nd PG. Maximum 5 million per year.

Patterson: Great 2nd big off the bench. Maximum 4-5 million per year.

Rest of the team are just parts to fill up the roster. Based on this, we need to improve SF, PF and back up center positions if we are serious about wining. Also, this team needs a STAR and none of the players have that STAR potential.
    Last edited by Jamshid; Sun May 4, 2014, 03:44 PM.

They need a better coach, so many useful players like Field and De Colo were kept out of this series not to mention he was outcoached by Jason Kidd cause he couldn't adjust in time.

I'm just glad to see the last of Salmon, its time to retire buddy.

They need a big bruiser type of a SG or SF like Joe Johnson, so when the shot isn't falling feed the beast the ball on the inside. So tired seeing the Raptors becoming a jump shooting team when the pressure is on.

Need a solid backup centre, preferably more big then JV for match up problems like Asik.

Comment

ESPN's Roster Reload for the Raps

ESPN Insider's been doing these each time a playoff team gets eliminated, so here's ours:

For Toronto, the season began with low expectations.

Everyone was still scratching their heads at the DeMar DeRozan-Rudy Gay wing combination, and with perceived malcontent Kyle Lowry entering a contract year, how would promising center Jonas Valanciunas ever see the ball? The ESPN Summer Forecast pegged the Raptors for 33 wins and a 10th place finish in the East. New general manager Masai Ujiri was taking stock of all of this, and it figured he'd eventually reset the roster around Valanciunas. Ujiri had already begun that process when he sent former No. 1 overall pick to Andrea Bargnani to New York in July for a first-round pick and a bundle of trade filler. Predictably, Toronto floundered to a 6-12 start.

A funny thing happened on the way to the lottery, however. Three days after the Raptors' season reached its nadir, Gay was shipped to Sacramento for what seemed to be more stopgap trade filler. Instead, Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Greivis Vasquez stepped into meaningful roles in Dwane Casey's rotation, Terrence Ross moved into the starting lineup and Toronto went 42-22 to finish the season. What seemed like a transitional season saw Casey establish a core of Valanciunas, Lowry and DeRozan, and finish in the top 10 in efficiency on both ends of the floor. The grueling, seven-game loss to the Nets in the first round was a disappointment, but all in all, it was perhaps the best season in Raptors history. Now, with Lowry and other key parts hitting free agency, what does Ujiri do for an encore?

2014-15 Status quote baseline: 39.6 wins
      (from Bradford Doolittle's ATH system)
      I. Main assets (personnel)

Elhassan: The Raptors' exceeding of expectations began when they jettisoned Gay, freeing up possessions for the more efficient Lowry and DeRozan. By allowing Lowry to dominate the ball, the Raptors' offense was more balanced, as he was able to create for himself and others. Meanwhile, DeRozan's strongest suit (drawing fouls) helped generate easy points from the stripe for himself and for his teammates (by virtue of getting into the bonus quicker). It's hard to justify the $9.5 million per year contract extension he received in 2012, but he's much closer to earning that salary than he was with Gay on the team. Valanciunas similarly benefited from Gay's departure, becoming a more engaged roll man in pick and rolls, while Amir Johnson continues to be one of the best values in basketball and the new age "No Stats All-Star." Rounding out the core, Ross showed signs of life as an athletic wing defender who can space the floor.

Doolittle: Toronto had the ninth-best scoring margin in the league, and was one of just four teams in the East to have a winning record against the West. There was little in their record that screamed "fluke," other than perhaps the track record of some of the players. Lowry had his best season statistically, with a 14.3 WARP -- 6.1 more than he's posted in any of his first seven seasons. Just as important, Lowry displayed a new-found affability and maturity that shed a new light on his on-court toughness. Now, he's a leader, not a guy with a chip on his shoulder. Was it real growth, or the expiring contract? That's up to Ujiri to decide, but players as productive as Lowry are hard to come by. For the first time, DeRozan finished above replacement level, jumping all the way to 5.4 WARP, and his .532 true shooting percentage suggests there is plenty of room for further enhancements. The track records of their stars is what keeps Toronto's baseline in middling territory, but there are lots of reasons to be optimistic..

II. Shake it up

Elhassan: John Salmons and Tyler Hansbrough both have partial guarantees that pay them $1 million apiece, so it would be prudent to release both players to free up some flexibility, unless they can find a draft day trade for someone trying to dump salary (like a trade for Ersan Ilyasova). Patterson and Vasquez are restricted free agents, and both were valuable bench contributors; depending on what happens with Lowry's free agency, there might be opportunities to sign and trade away either of those players. Toronto also has their own first-round pick, as well as two second rounders (from Sacramento and Oklahoma City). Nik Stauskus from Michigan is a nice combo guard who might be able to handle backup point guard duties in addition to being a terrific shooter, while the second-rounders might be good draft-and-stash candidates.

Doolittle: Since Toronto was so well balanced on both ends of the floor, it's not easy to pinpoint specific areas for improvement. They could stand to improve a 47.5 percentage on 2-pointers, which ranked 23rd. Further improvement by Valanciunas will help that, as could better shot selection by DeRozan. The contract status of Lowry is the major concern, because there is no way the Raptors could attract a comparable player to replace his value. It's hard to know how the market views Lowry, but consider this: He just posted the highest WARP of any player that we know is headed for unrestricted free agency, pending some high-profile stars who can opt out.
      III. Obstacles to success

Elhassan: The most pressing concern for Toronto is Lowry's free agent status. While Vasquez played well as a backup and has started in this league, he's not capable of replacing Lowry full time. Furthermore, the point guard crop is extremely thin (both in free agency and in the draft), so almost any viable option would constitute a step back. At the same time, the Raptors are at risk of falling into the same pitfall they did the previous time they experienced a taste of playoff success: Doling out big money deals to good, but not exceptional talents, locking themselves into a team with a low ceiling.

In 2001, they spent $140 million in contracts on Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams and Alvin Williams, but the team never improved, and now 13 years later, big money deals to Lowry, Patterson and Vasquez (coupled with DeRozan's above-market value deal) might do the same. If they don't pay them, however, they might end up starting over from scratch again, halting the momentum they built this season.

Doolittle: If Toronto retains Lowry and builds upon a foundation of him, Valanciunas and DeRozan, do they run the risk of getting stuck on the second tier? Considering where the Raptors were this time last year, that conundrum strikes me as a first-world issue. The best approach for Ujiri right now is status quo. This roster had exceptional chemistry after the Gay trade, and there is plenty of room for growth from a number of the younger Raptors. The summer market is the real concern here: Lowry could get an unexpectedly large offer, while Vasquez and Patterson are sure to draw interest as well. The bulk of Ujiri's roster hasn't even spent a full season together, but keeping it intact for 2014-15 won't be easy.

IV. The "Ideal" Roster:

Doolittle: I'm banking here that Lowry doesn't get blown away by an offer on the market. Amin had Lowry at an AAV of $8.5 million in February, and here I'm giving him a hometown bonus and bringing him in line with what DeRozan earns. I estimated the dollars for Vasquez and Patterson based on what similar restricted free agents signed for last summer.

There were two shake-ups of the status quo. I'm paying Tyler Hansbrough and John Salmons the $1 million each they have guaranteed, and bidding them adieu. Toronto has too many options up front to keep Hansbrough, while Salmons' fully guaranteed salary would come to $7 million. Too rich for my blood. I'm using my room exception to land Shaun Livingston, who gives me size on the perimeter, the ability to get points in the post and a stylistic complement to Ross. With the 20th pick in June, which I haven't listed here, I'm going for the player with the highest ceiling. The Raptors are in position to swing for the fences.

Comment

Patterson and Amir are two of the best 6th man PF's in the league. 20-25 mpg next year for each would be great.
        SIGN JAMES JOHNSON.
        I hope OKC finally amnesties Perkins because he would be great for us. Okafor too would be good, as would Jermaine O'Neal.
        Vasquez is an elite bench point guard.
        I would say you can extend Lowry's max worth a little bit more than 10 mil on this team.
        @Boymusic66

Comment

Raps are a good coach and a couple tweaks to the roster away from being a big factor in the east.

Let Casey go and bring in someone who knows what they're doing. Easier said than done, i understand. But seriously a huge issue.

Get a bigger SF. Ross is a SG and can't really bulk up or it'd hurt what he does well, same with Demar. Need a wing with the size and strength who can guard the opposing teams best wing. A series against Demar made JJ look like an all star. He's not.

Resign Patterson and Lowry, provided Lowry's contract isn't insane. He's a great player and had a dynamite season but there were still a lot of points in the playoffs where you could see some of his bad qualities get really exposed. I'd only resign Vasquez if it was for CHEAP. When he's on he's amazing but when he's not he's absolutely brutal. Seems like a good guy but at the end of the day you really don't want to overpay for a backup PG.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

MU's going to resign Casey and i'm going to have the ugliest meltdown this goddamn forum has ever seen
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Throughout the series i was thinking that it would be nice to have a guy like Livingston on this team. He'd be miles better than Salmons. A 3/stretch 4 would be good as well. Maybe Adrien Payne from Michigan State?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                provided Lowry's contract isn't insane. He's a great player and had a dynamite season but there were still a lot of points in the playoffs where you could see some of his bad qualities get really exposed. .
                Yes there was a bit too much "hero" ball for my liking but that's Lowry's game and consider that his team mates weren't exactly setting baskest on fire with their scoring then I'm willing to live with that, unless there are major upgrades in the starting lineup which will help turn Westbrook style into more of Rondo.

Comment

I'm the opposite i'd kind of like to have a Center/4 that's just a pure defender. Shot blocker/rebounder. That can bang 1 on 1 and be a good weakside defender. I know i'm asking a lot but it is what it is.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Before Roster adjustments hiring a Coach is job 1a.The coach determines how we draft, free agents and resigning.

Comment

Casey should be fired

The Starters
                      Lowry played well for us all season long, that last shot didn't notch us a win VS the Nets is gonna go down history as a shocker, just like VC's last shot VS the Sixers. Lowry should be resigned by does he deserve the max, I don't think so. Give him a 3 years contract.

DD didn't play like a real superstar in the playoff and he couldn't guard Joe Johnson so don't expect him to guard D-Wade or LeBron if we are to beat the Nets and we didn't so lets move on. DD if he's lucky will remain as a Rap and won't be traded although given offer on the table such as Wiggins or Jabari Parker, I wouldn't hesitate if I'm Majiri.

T-Ross was garbage in the playoff but the last second steal and I would have thought he would go for a layup or dunk and that would bring the house down but we didn't, we called time out and the rest was history. T-Ross has a lot to learn, give him 2-3 years but for now, he's not our solution or savior at the 3 spot. He should come off the bench next year

Amir Johnson played well in Game 7 but he was in foul trouble (blame the refs), Johnson should come off the bench for either our starting calibre PF or switch in for Valanciunas. Johnson is our heart and soul and should retire as a Raptors or have a JYD type of career

Valanciunas still got a lot to learn, the last two playoff games, he was absent possibly due to foul trouble. He needs bulk more but this season has been a blast for him, at least he didn't hit the rookie wall. I'm seeing him having a Marcin Gortat type career.

The Bench
                      Vazquez disappeared in he playoff, he should've got more minutes but he played well for us and a whole season of GV should do us wonder by next year and I think it's safe and a gamble to insert him as our starting SG for next season and move DD to SF

2Pat was awesome that he managed to get out of injury bug and become an asset in the playoff but just not enough. He could potentially be our starting PF for next season but I would love to see him come off the bench, question is will Majiri be able to retain him.

Salmons + Fields + Novak need to either be waived or shipped in a trade in the off season

T.Hansborough played poorly but he had an amazing season run with the Raptors so keep him

Nando De Colo was good in the last few games of the season, might resign him for another year

D.Bycks = Meh

J.Stone = Meh

Comment

Raps are a good coach and a couple tweaks to the roster away from being a big factor in the east.

They are not couple of tweaks away !!! They have major holes in SF, PF and back up Centre. Lets not kid ourselves here. MU has a tough summer ahead of himself and brining role players is not the answer anymore.

He needs to find a legitimate starting PF ... As TSF said earlier, Amir and Patterson are great 6th man off the bench but that is all they are ...

SF is a Key ... Can he fix it by brining a star ...

How about back up C and also Lowry's contract and he has to do all that while keeping financial flexibility for 2016 to bring a real SUPER STAR to this team.

I will be happy if he take care of Lowry, PF and Back up centre this year and leave the SF position and the money for 2016 to bring the SUPER STAR for that position.

Draft is another key move this summer. We are now darting in late first round and it is hard to get a talent there. You need to do your homework.

As I said, we are far away from few tweaks here ... MU moved AB and Gay in 2 good move this season but took a NICE, RELAXING break the rest of the year to " Evaluate" this team and enjoyed the support of the excited fan base.

It is NOW time for him to go to work.

Comment

Maybe they should have activated Jamaal.

Comment

We should put Bikes as the sixth man.

jk
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I'm the opposite i'd kind of like to have a Center/4 that's just a pure defender. Shot blocker/rebounder. That can bang 1 on 1 and be a good weakside defender. I know i'm asking a lot but it is what it is.
                              That's honestly my first concern and my ideal for a big (centre specifically). After that would be a 4 with a solid post game. Then a big defensive 3 (or that Fields fixes his shot, I still have hope for the guy). After that, its just patch work.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                              X