Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamshid
    replied
    Vince Carter will ruin the development and work ethics of DD and Ross and ... He will be a cancer in the locker room.

Leave a comment:

• yabadabayolo
    replied
    stretch wrote: View Post
    This discussion is similar to the ones we had two years ago when there was a big push to get Steve Nash as a free agent. Steve was then 38, which is the age Vince will be in January. No player has ever beaten father time and only a handful of NBA players have been productive into their 40s, mostly 7 footers like Kareem, Parish and Kevin Willis.
    And carter in 2 years it's not like we are signing Carter on a 10 mill contract. If it doesn't work out, hopefully the rookie we draft will be able to play that role he was supposto play

Leave a comment:

• stretch
    replied
    This discussion is similar to the ones we had two years ago when there was a big push to get Steve Nash as a free agent. Steve was then 38, which is the age Vince will be in January. No player has ever beaten father time and only a handful of NBA players have been productive into their 40s, mostly 7 footers like Kareem, Parish and Kevin Willis.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Z
    replied
    RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    All Hayes needs to do if have Amir teach him to shoot threes.
    If Hayes can become a reliable three point shooter the Raptors should really consider moving him to that starting 3 spot.

Leave a comment:

• imanshumpert
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I don't get the snark you directed towards OldSkoolCool. I thought it was pretty obviously that players typically involved in the 'best 6th man' discussion are 'microwave' type players who are ball-magnet, score-first players. Asking a player who doesn't play that type of game to play that role, seems like the epitome of being destined to fail. You don't need to be a coach to understand the concept, since it applies to a lot more than just basketball.
    Martell Webster has no problem playing that role for Washington. Hit 2 threes a game off the bench on just under 40% shooting. Very similar player to Ross, although I feel Ross could be better with time.

Leave a comment:

• OptimalOptimist
    replied
    RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    He is way more efficient on running jump shots and running hooks over Drummond.

Leave a comment:

replied
    OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    I'd much rather have Marvin Williams than Vince Carter. He also had some experience of guarding Lebron in his Atlanta's day.

As a backup C, I'd rather have Marvelous Hayes then wasting money on the lackluster free agents.

Leave a comment:

• OptimalOptimist
    replied
    I'd much rather have Marvin Williams than Vince Carter. He also had some experience of guarding Lebron in his Atlanta's day.

As a backup C, I'd rather have Marvelous Hayes then wasting money on the lackluster free agents.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I didn't like the offhand dismissal. Ross has a smooth stroke and can make shots in bunches. Plus he's got pretty good handles and can drive and finish at the rim. He may not show it yet and may never show it, but for all the talk about Ross's "potential" you gotta at least consider that that could be a possible area of development. I never said he'd be a "best 6th man", just a 6th man, someone who can score in bunches, which I think he has potential to do.

I replied with snark because the suggestion was met with offhand dismissal, as if his is the ultimate basketball knowledge. Nothing against oldskoolcool, he's got some great knowledge and brings up great points, but we haven't seen it happen yet (Ross coming off the bench) so how can he so assuredly say he'd be terrible? Does he not have "potential"? He must have some basketball acumen that only coaches are privy to.
    My bad.

I agree with the bolded, that he could become that. My issue is that his game currently isn't best suited for that (3rd/4th option that plays off the ball and requires teammates to set him up for open outside looks), so bumping him to the 2nd unit now could very well stunt his growth (which is what I think OldSkoolCool was alluding to), especially if you're of the belief that his true potential is much higher than just a scoring 6th man (which I do).
    Ya I think it could really hurt him from a developmental standpoint as he tries to do too much.

I guess I should clarify, I think Ross would not do well in a sixth man role, however, I do like the look he gives our offense when he uses the ball a lot more and is attacking. An attacking Ross can score at will and makes pretty good decisions as well in terms of passing.

...however confident Ross can be quickly taken out of the game by not getting the ball for several possessions in a row, or from the Casey pull, which both kill his confidence for the rest of the game and he disappears. He needs to learn to enter into his heat-check mode at will before he can become a possible 6th man candidate.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    I didn't like the offhand dismissal. Ross has a smooth stroke and can make shots in bunches. Plus he's got pretty good handles and can drive and finish at the rim. He may not show it yet and may never show it, but for all the talk about Ross's "potential" you gotta at least consider that that could be a possible area of development. I never said he'd be a "best 6th man", just a 6th man, someone who can score in bunches, which I think he has potential to do.

I replied with snark because the suggestion was met with offhand dismissal, as if his is the ultimate basketball knowledge. Nothing against oldskoolcool, he's got some great knowledge and brings up great points, but we haven't seen it happen yet (Ross coming off the bench) so how can he so assuredly say he'd be terrible? Does he not have "potential"? He must have some basketball acumen that only coaches are privy to.
    I agree with the bolded, that he could become that. My issue is that his game currently isn't best suited for that (3rd/4th option that plays off the ball and requires teammates to set him up for open outside looks), so bumping him to the 2nd unit now could very well stunt his growth (which is what I think OldSkoolCool was alluding to), especially if you're of the belief that his true potential is much higher than just a scoring 6th man (which I do).

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    I don't get the snark you directed towards OldSkoolCool. I thought it was pretty obviously that players typically involved in the 'best 6th man' discussion are 'microwave' type players who are ball-magnet, score-first players. Asking a player who doesn't play that type of game to play that role, seems like the epitome of being destined to fail. You don't need to be a coach to understand the concept, since it applies to a lot more than just basketball.
    My bad I forgot to quote you on that last one.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Small Forward and Backup Center + Vince

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Lol never heard of em

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Excuse me?
    Lol never heard of em

Leave a comment:

Working...
X