X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

That's how numbers have always been retired ... it's almost always once the player retires. Golden State offering to retire Durants number now is an exception to the rule. Waiting until Kawhi retires is normal practice as far as I'm concerned. So no, I don't think it reduces anything.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, I'm just saying that that is just how it works ... has Cleveland/Miami retired James number? Of course not. Will they once he retires. Of course they will.
    Great point. If ever a team was to retire a jersey for a saviour returning just to spurn them again, leaving them with zero chance to ever win again, it's Cleveland. And they're waiting ....

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    For the people saying wait 5 - 10 years and then "maybe" - does it reduce the honour if some scrub ends up wearing it in the meantime? Isn't the whole point to be the last to don the #? So do you save the number, just in case?
    That's how numbers have always been retired ... it's almost always once the player retires. Golden State offering to retire Durants number now is an exception to the rule. Waiting until Kawhi retires is normal practice as far as I'm concerned. So no, I don't think it reduces anything.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, I'm just saying that that is just how it works ... has Cleveland/Miami retired James number? Of course not. Will they once he retires. Of course they will.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 22nd, 2019, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    For the people saying wait 5 - 10 years and then "maybe" - does it reduce the honour if some scrub ends up wearing it in the meantime? Isn't the whole point to be the last to don the #? So do you save the number, just in case?

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Just rewatched Finals games 1 & 2. Watched on the American feed which is pretty sweet to get to go back and do, (I watched all Canadian feed when the games were live, as I wanted the excitement and awareness of our history from Matt & Jack, &, yes, Leo. But pretty sweet to also get to go back and watch the American broadcast with the gravity that it inherently brings... AS WELL AS TO SEE US DOMINATE IN THE FINALS ONCE AGAIN. Through a whole new lense. Glorious.

Siakam was so amazing in that first game. If he can play like that in all 82 games this year we'll be sitting pretty. (lol)

Rewatching gave me further thoughts on the Kawhi number retirement conversation. Each playoff series had its own flavour and specific matchup challenges/advantages. We wouldn't haven't gotten past Philly or MLK without Kawhi obviously. He was truly a superstar. ... That said, He doesn't win another chip without everybody else stepping up as they did throughout the Finals. (Obviously nobody does it alone, ever, but he had a fuck of a lot of great help.) Serge, Marc, Fred, Pascal, Kyle, Danny all stepped up in big, big ways. Health obviously played a big role in the series. But I think ultimately our amazing depth and fantastic team play really sealed the deal on us winning THE FINALS. It wasn't just a solitary Klaw.

Watching that series, Kawhi had it all here. At least as far as basketball goes. I think if he stayed, we're favourites to repeat. So while, yes, long term, I'll absolutely have the utmost gratitude to him, yes, for the rest of time... In the here and now, however, he's prevented us from our chance at becoming back to back champs. He's prevented us from our chance at becoming a dynasty. He's likely prevented all of the players on his squad from those opportunities, and all of us fans.

Thanks for the chip. Forever.

But for now at least, eff you for the being the first lead guy EVER to walk away from your championship teammates. F U for not allowing the narrative to once and for all change around our city that players ultimately don't wanna play here. F U for making it weird that we had it all and you walked away.

And yes, I'm sooooo happy for you that you get to be with your family. ; )

For the time being, you're the flat-out enemy. For me, that doesn't change just cause people don't expect us to beat you.

Talk to me about retiring your jersey when you, ya know, fuckin retire.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    He deserves to have his jersey retired by someone eventually. Does he make the cut on Spurs retiring his jersey? Maybe, maybe not, given how he left. Maybe he does enough for the Clippers to earn a jersey retirement from them. If, at the end of everything, his year with Toronto ends up being the pinnacle of his career, then I don't think anyone would fault Toronto for retiring his jersey. If Spurs or Clippers retired his jersey, I'd prefer the Raptors not to. Way too early to say that, though.

But Lowry needs to be the first jersey this franchise retires. Absolutely no question of that in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

What Orlando did is a joke.. I don't think retiring Kawhi's would be. He left after a year.. but that year was so magical. You actually think people would laugh at us for retiring Kawhi's number?
    Yes I actually do. It seems a bit....desparate

I think every team that has won multiple championships for example would shake their heads and say "you don't retire a jersey after only one season just because you won a championship" Act like you plan on being there again ....

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

What Orlando did is a joke.. I don't think retiring Kawhi's would be. He left after a year.. but that year was so magical. You actually think people would laugh at us for retiring Kawhi's number?

I mean did you see what he did on one leg against the Bucks? Or how he put everyone on his back against Philly? The guy was incredible. And he left it all on the court for us.

It's too soon.. he's going to be playing for another 5-6+ years and maybe my stance will change. But right now in this moment I think he deserves it for all that he gave us.
    Yeah, I could support either side of the Kawhi jersey retirement debate. It's actually pretty similar (but inverse) to what OKC did retiring Nick Collison's jersey. OKC rewarded loyalty & longevity over performance & results. Kawhi is the exact inverse - the highest possible performance & results over loyalty & longevity.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Exactly..do you really wanna be in the category as Orlando?

I mean did you see what he did on one leg against the Bucks? Or how he put everyone on his back against Philly? The guy was incredible. And he left it all on the court for us.

It's too soon.. he's going to be playing for another 5-6+ years and maybe my stance will change. But right now in this moment I think he deserves it for all that he gave us.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

But it's unprecedented. There has never been a player in the NBA that played for only one team, was by far the best player on that team, and helped win a chip.

You have a team like the Orlando Magic retiring the number "6" for their "Sixth Man" ie, their Fans. That's how low the bar is.
    Exactly..do you really wanna be in the category as Orlando?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

Durant was with Golden State for only 3 seasons and he's getting his retired. I say let's wait until guys actually retire though, and then we can think about it.

The sting of Kawhi going home may have worn off by then as well, and we could be back to rebuilding and people will just want to celebrate our Champ Run anyway possible.
    I think it will be just the opposite. We're talking like 7 to 10 years from now. Kawhi will have long since moved on and etched out another story in different colours. At that point it almost feels awkward.

let us not forget Durant signed his name on papers with warriors logo, multiple times. Kawhi was professional and successful, but he stayed here only as long as his job required him to by contract. He honored it which is I guess commendable in today's age

fly him back for the 10th anniversary. Give him a standing O then, and when you see him next year. That's good.

btw @t rex completely disrespectful to wipe away and dismiss DeRozan and lowrys 16 seasons combined. Without their groundwork, Kawhi does not become a raptor, let alone a raptor joining a perennial 55 win team

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Has any player in the history of the league ever had his jersey retired after only one season on the team, chip or not?
    It shouldn't start here....
    But it's unprecedented. There has never been a player in the NBA that played for only one team, was by far the best player on that team, and helped win a chip.

You have a team like the Orlando Magic retiring the number "6" for their "Sixth Man" ie, their Fans. That's how low the bar is.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post

Not really comparable, but the fewest seasons of a retired player that I can think of is Drazen Petrovic, who played 2.5 seasons for the Nets and has his #3 retired by them. Very different circumstances though.
    Durant was with Golden State for only 3 seasons and he's getting his retired. I say let's wait until guys actually retire though, and then we can think about it.

The sting of Kawhi going home may have worn off by then as well, and we could be back to rebuilding and people will just want to celebrate our Champ Run anyway possible.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Aug 21st, 2019, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Has any player in the history of the league ever had his jersey retired after only one season on the team, chip or not?
    Not really comparable, but the fewest seasons of a retired player that I can think of is Drazen Petrovic, who played 2.5 seasons for the Nets and has his #3 retired by them. Very different circumstances though.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Yeah, i'm a hard no on the jersey retirement. 1 season, no thanks, despite the championship, thats not enough. The idea of retiring the jersey of a player that hadn't even signed a contract with the team and only played one year is kinda off to me. Raps fans will always remember whether his jersey hangs or not, no need to honour him like that though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X