Everything CHAMPIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yeah it was a narrative that got out of hand, but when you look at it year by year easy to see why.

2014: game 7, many eyes on the TV, Raptors lose to the "underdog" nets, Lowry throwing up a prayer that didnt come close at the end. He had a great playoff but people put a label that gained steam in the coming years.
    2015: Wizards. This was an ass thrashing. We were all embarrassed and soul searched all summer. Lowry played bad. Really bad, and the narrative is now in motion after 2 first round exits from "good" raptor teams.
    2016: Went to the conference finals but struggled at times in each series especially game 1s and against Indy early. He was really good against Miami, and great in some Cleveland games, bad in others.

2017, 2018 playoffs were much better for Lowry, but the team got swept by Lebron twice so the damage was already done, we were Lebronto and Lowry was a choker. But yeah, really the only playoffs he struggled was 2015 and a good bit of 2016, which I definitely think was a nerves as a younger man leading us after the Nets loss in year 1. He's now a grizzled vet and is a good playoff player. But there were definitely major speed bumps along the way, but I also agree he caught way more flak than other guys who struggle in the playoffs
    i give him a pass in the 2016 playoffs when his elbow was the size of a baseball

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i give him a pass in the 2016 playoffs when his elbow was the size of a baseball
      Yep, injuries were always the biggest factor. October/November Lowry is one of the leagues best guards and a top 10 player, he always struggling around the all star break. If anything Derozan was the bigger choker imo. He has the raw numbers in points per game but he "emptied the clip" all the time, he's a career .408 playoff shooter with the Raptors. That's especially terrible when you remember he only really shoots 2's.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Yep, injuries were always the biggest factor. October/November Lowry is one of the leagues best guards and a top 10 player, he always struggling around the all star break. If anything Derozan was the bigger choker imo. He has the raw numbers in points per game but he "emptied the clip" all the time, he's a career .408 playoff shooter with the Raptors. That's especially terrible when you remember he only really shoots 2's.
        agreed. the discrepancy in demar's advanced stats between regular season and playoffs, especially in his last three years here, is massive.

Comment

• Yeah, being a higher seed and losing a couple times played into the narrative for sure. But I think those Raps teams were some paper tigers, nice regular seasons but Casey and DeRozan were a couple of serious playoff handicaps. Lowry didn't save them in spite of themselves and had some notable poor shooting, but he was still basically a productive/winning player at all times, even when his shot was off. That just doesn't make highlight reels or hot take talk shows.

I honestly don't know why the Lowry/DeRozan Raptors getting Lebronto'd blew up as a narrative vs. the Lillard/McCollum Blazers getting swept in the 1st round, for example. Those Blazers/Raptors teams were fairly comparable imho, just played in different conferences. The Harden Rockets have also had some infamous collapses, they've taken a bit more heat for those but are still basically considered contenders every year instead of the 'chokers' tag Lowry & co. had to shake.

Anyway, really glad last season happened. The narrative is changed forever. Champs baby.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            Meh, I still think Kyle's playoff disappointments are overstated. It's a narrative that took on it's own life. There were certainly disappointments, but it blew out of proportion.

Compare his playoff career to Damian Lillard's, who manages to get written up as Mr. Clutch. Dame has an EXTREMELY spotty playoff record, personal and team. 6 appearances, bounced in 5 games or less in half of those. Two first round sweeps. Half his post seasons he shot 30% or WORSE from deep on a lot of attempts. He's been held as low as 7-8 ppg below his regular season averages.

But

Dame makes a couple highlight reel halfcourt shots and the narrative is set. Big shooter. Onions. Big Game Dame.

Lowry has a fluid sack on his elbow and air balls the wrong shot at the wrong moment and gets the opposite rep. Playoff Choker.

I don't think Dame's as good as he's made out to be, Lowry's a better all around player though not on the same level as a scorer, and I think Lowry's a much better playoff performer than he's made out to be. Would have argued that before last spring, too.
            Dame didn't get whooped by Bron's team year in, year out. I mean at one point Bron was pretty much laughing at Kyle & DD in post/pre game interview.

At age 28, Dame has accomplished a lot more than Kyle did at age 28. As in its not even remotely close. So I get why Dame might not get as much negative press.

Comment

• Lowry also got 0 points in the game 1 loss to Orlando last year. He's had his blips.. but he's had some amazing games for us.

His best overall game IMO was the game 7 against Miami in 2016:

Finished with 35, 9, 7 with 4 steals and 5 3's:

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Dame didn't get whooped by Bron's team year in, year out. I mean at one point Bron was pretty much laughing at Kyle & DD in post/pre game interview.

At age 28, Dame has accomplished a lot more than Kyle did at age 28. As in its not even remotely close. So I get why Dame might not get as much negative press.
                Once lebron pretended to drink the beer it felt like a dad toying with his 10 year olds. Once he spun the ball like he was practicing before draining the 3 over Ibaka it was officially a meme.

"hes spinning the ball on his finger! Just take it!!"

Comment

Well tho

Lebron didn't get a chance to run over Dame's teams at full speed yr after yr mainly bcz he's in a different conference no? What about the Golden state run overs? And whoever else portland loses 2. The AD sweep and run?

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Lowry also got 0 points in the game 1 loss to Orlando last year. He's had his blips.. but he's had some amazing games for us.

His best overall game IMO was the game 7 against Miami in 2016:

Finished with 35, 9, 7 with 4 steals and 5 3's:
                  Shockingly amazing. I think I might've missed that game 4 some reason that yr. Wow. Just wow.

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Once lebron pretended to drink the beer it felt like a dad toying with his 10 year olds. Once he spun the ball like he was practicing before draining the 3 over Ibaka it was officially a meme.

"hes spinning the ball on his finger! Just take it!!"
                  Ya that was tough. And we were built up 2 think that u kno, 6 games last yr may b 7 or a win now but UHHHHHH wow. wowowowooww.

How would that series have gone under Nurse I wonder? Would've at least defended Lebron well I bet. Wonder if we make the finals that 1 yr we took Cleveland 2 6. Huh.
                  Last edited by NeedTristanThompson; Mon Jun 15, 2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Well tho

Lebron didn't get a chance to run over Dame's teams at full speed yr after yr mainly bcz he's in a different conference no? What about the Golden state run overs? And whoever else portland loses 2. The AD sweep and run?

Shockingly amazing. I think I might've missed that game 4 some reason that yr. Wow. Just wow.

Ya that was tough. And we were built up 2 think that u kno, 6 games last yr may b 7 or a win now but UHHHHHH wow. wowowowooww.

How would that series have gone under Nurse I wonder? Would've at least defended Lebron well I bet. Wonder if we make the finals that 1 yr we took Cleveland 2 6. Huh.
                    Hey man, you don't have to like what I'm putting down but that doesn't make what I'm saying less true. We're talking why the league thinks Kyle is(was) a choker. It is what it is.

Comment

Hey man, you don't have to like what I'm putting down but that doesn't make what I'm saying less true. We're talking why the league thinks Kyle is(was) a choker. It is what it is.
                      Right, ok! That makes sense I guess. I mean, u could argue that Lebron would've been easier than GS - well actually that's defs tru. So ya, I c whatchu mean.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

Right, ok! That makes sense I guess. I mean, u could argue that Lebron would've been easier than GS - well actually that's defs tru. So ya, I c whatchu mean.
                        The Raptors are always an afterthought because they're not American. What hits the radar down there when it comes to Toronto? Losing and embarrassment. Even in winning they didn't get the same level of credit as other teams have received. I shouldn't have even bitten on Dame because its irrelevant and they're not thinking about a guy, eight years younger, in another country on an American team when they think Kyle Lowry. Also, they don't have that Kyle passion you do.

As for me personally, I essentially said I think it doesn't matter... Because he won.

Comment

• They're showing a re-run of the Raptors Championship parade on TSN now. Terrible parade but good times....

Comment

• Thus ends our championship defense...

This Raptors organization, the team, the staff and the fanbase should all be exceedingly proud.

What an unbelievable run these last two years have been.

Some people never get these kind of moments...

Grateful for this ride.

Never Forget.

Champs Forever.

Onwards and upwards.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Thus ends our championship defense...

This Raptors organization, the team, the staff and the fanbase should all be exceedingly proud.

What an unbelievable run these last two years have been.

Some people never get these kind of moments...

Grateful for this ride.

Never Forget.

Champs Forever.

Onwards and upwards.
                              This might be the greatest gif in the history of the planet or the solar system.

Comment

This might be the greatest gif in the history of the planet or the solar system.
                                Can we make an animatronic moving statue for Kyle like the ones at Disneyland?

Comment

Working...
                                X