Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel
    replied
    I don't understand why anyone even listens to Stephen A Smith. Can't we all just agree to ignore this guy and hopefully he goes away?

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    The grass isn't always greener.....

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    By the time Kawhi retires, Raptors will have won so many championships nobody outside of Canada is gonna remember he was ever on the team. Plus wouldn't he have to be at that ceremony? He won't even be at the ring ceremony do we really need to look that needy?

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...aying-raptors/

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Lol

Kawhi and the Raptors made a beautiful, little “What It Do” baby.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Kawhi wasn't just a girlfriend you admired once.. he was a chick you impregnated and produced the Larry OB. Keeping with the analogy he ended up as a dead beat parent though. Still couldn't have gotten the kid without him though.

Okay this just got weird.. moving on....

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Kawhi is like the girl you had an amazing relationship with, and everything looked great, but she dumped you because she wanted to go back home to California, and now she's got a new man.

Do you respect her, and cherish the times? Yes. Would you keep her picture hanging up on the wall as tribute? No.

Thankfully my avatar is now back to the Greatest Rap of All Time. Yall like T Rex and Joey should move on too. This is the Toronto Raptors, who got a ring, helped Kawhi Leonard get a ring and bounce.

WE were the 55 win team. WE were the Eastern Conference contender. WE were one player away. WE sacrificed our franchise kid to bring him in. WE gave him load management and free reign to do as he pleased. WE hired his friend to coach.

HE was the injured player, with low stock, and not a lot of teams willing to give him the keys quite yet. He needed us as much as we needed him.

Kawhi played amazing. But he wouldn't have done it, or been where he is now, without the Toronto Raptors. Full stop.
    And no, he's nothing like any that. He's like a basketball player that played for a team and helped win them their first championship. Full stop. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Thankfully my avatar is now back to the Greatest Rap of All Time. Yall like T Rex and Joey should move on too. This is the Toronto Raptors, who got a ring, helped Kawhi Leonard get a ring and bounce.
    LOL How have I not moved on?! I been rockin the Lowry avatar this whole time, by the way, and not just changing it because it helps prove a point. :P Lol

I literally just said I'm not advocating one way or the other or retiring Kawhis number, just simply stating that retiring a players number in the midst of their career is weird and shouldn't be done.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Kawhi is like the girl you had an amazing relationship with, and everything looked great, but she dumped you because she wanted to go back home to California, and now she's got a new man.

Do you respect her, and cherish the times? Yes. Would you keep her picture hanging up on the wall as tribute? No.

WE were the 55 win team. WE were the Eastern Conference contender. WE were one player away. WE sacrificed our franchise kid to bring him in. WE gave him load management and free reign to do as he pleased. WE hired his friend to coach.

HE was the injured player, with low stock, and not a lot of teams willing to give him the keys quite yet. He needed us as much as we needed him.

Kawhi played amazing. But he wouldn't have done it, or been where he is now, without the Toronto Raptors. Full stop.
    Wait, so under this analogy - any retired jersey is a gf who are:
    a) dead
    b) from a past life
    c) "retired" from dating
    d) no longer dates men

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

That's how numbers have always been retired ... it's almost always once the player retires. Golden State offering to retire Durants number now is an exception to the rule. Waiting until Kawhi retires is normal practice as far as I'm concerned. So no, I don't think it reduces anything.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, I'm just saying that that is just how it works ... has Cleveland/Miami retired James number? Of course not. Will they once he retires. Of course they will.
    Right, but Miami is letting no one wear Number 6 either, so it is essentially being held for retirement, and for the purpose of discussing Jalen Rose's point - is there a difference? Should the Raps lock up number 2? Even if any ceremony is years away...

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

That's how numbers have always been retired ... it's almost always once the player retires. Golden State offering to retire Durants number now is an exception to the rule. Waiting until Kawhi retires is normal practice as far as I'm concerned. So no, I don't think it reduces anything.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, I'm just saying that that is just how it works ... has Cleveland/Miami retired James number? Of course not. Will they once he retires. Of course they will.
    Great point. If ever a team was to retire a jersey for a saviour returning just to spurn them again, leaving them with zero chance to ever win again, it's Cleveland. And they're waiting ....

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    For the people saying wait 5 - 10 years and then "maybe" - does it reduce the honour if some scrub ends up wearing it in the meantime? Isn't the whole point to be the last to don the #? So do you save the number, just in case?

Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 22, 2019, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    For the people saying wait 5 - 10 years and then "maybe" - does it reduce the honour if some scrub ends up wearing it in the meantime? Isn't the whole point to be the last to don the #? So do you save the number, just in case?

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Just rewatched Finals games 1 & 2. Watched on the American feed which is pretty sweet to get to go back and do, (I watched all Canadian feed when the games were live, as I wanted the excitement and awareness of our history from Matt & Jack, &, yes, Leo. But pretty sweet to also get to go back and watch the American broadcast with the gravity that it inherently brings... AS WELL AS TO SEE US DOMINATE IN THE FINALS ONCE AGAIN. Through a whole new lense. Glorious.

Siakam was so amazing in that first game. If he can play like that in all 82 games this year we'll be sitting pretty. (lol)

Rewatching gave me further thoughts on the Kawhi number retirement conversation. Each playoff series had its own flavour and specific matchup challenges/advantages. We wouldn't haven't gotten past Philly or MLK without Kawhi obviously. He was truly a superstar. ... That said, He doesn't win another chip without everybody else stepping up as they did throughout the Finals. (Obviously nobody does it alone, ever, but he had a fuck of a lot of great help.) Serge, Marc, Fred, Pascal, Kyle, Danny all stepped up in big, big ways. Health obviously played a big role in the series. But I think ultimately our amazing depth and fantastic team play really sealed the deal on us winning THE FINALS. It wasn't just a solitary Klaw.

Watching that series, Kawhi had it all here. At least as far as basketball goes. I think if he stayed, we're favourites to repeat. So while, yes, long term, I'll absolutely have the utmost gratitude to him, yes, for the rest of time... In the here and now, however, he's prevented us from our chance at becoming back to back champs. He's prevented us from our chance at becoming a dynasty. He's likely prevented all of the players on his squad from those opportunities, and all of us fans.

Thanks for the chip. Forever.

But for now at least, eff you for the being the first lead guy EVER to walk away from your championship teammates. F U for not allowing the narrative to once and for all change around our city that players ultimately don't wanna play here. F U for making it weird that we had it all and you walked away.

And yes, I'm sooooo happy for you that you get to be with your family. ; )

For the time being, you're the flat-out enemy. For me, that doesn't change just cause people don't expect us to beat you.

Talk to me about retiring your jersey when you, ya know, fuckin retire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X