Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tDotted wrote: View Post
    I just realized that every other star that switched teams this offseason was involved in a sign and trade.. except us.

That sucks. Would've liked to have something back
    That\s what comes of a) our star being the last one to switch teams and b) not having nearly the leverage that OKC did when it came down to it.

Comment

• Tearing it up would be a HUGE mistake. Draft and develop. Players wants to play for a winning organization. You want to be a destination, show them you're serious about winning. 2021 FA class is loaded.

Look at Brooklyn, why did Durant and Kyrie chose to play there instead of NY?
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
        Tearing it up would be a HUGE mistake. Draft and develop. Players wants to play for a winning organization. You want to be a destination, show them you're serious about winning. 2021 FA class is loaded.

Look at Brooklyn, why did Durant and Kyrie chose to play there instead of NY?
        Preach. The only guarantee with tanking is losing.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Preach. The only guarantee with tanking is losing.
          Why did Kyrie and KD even look at NYC/Brooklyn in the first place? Because it's New York City.

It's time to face the facts. We bent over backwards for Kawhi, let him take a quarter of the season off, offered him $50 million more in guaranteed money, won a championship....

AND HE STILL DIDN'T STAY.

If you guys honestly think that free agency is one of the paths forward for this franchise I have no idea what kind of delusional bubble you live in.

Comment

• One more thing: if you think every NBA player didn't see exactly what I just wrote you're out of your mind. They all saw Kawhi have a whole country behind him, win a chip, rest as much as he wanted, be due more guaranteed money... and bail.

In terms of free agency invalidation this is about as damning as you can get. Drake? Meaningless. And it doesn't help that we dumped the only homegrown player who was loyal to us.

Banking on a free agent is a lot worse odds than rebuilding through the draft.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Why did Kyrie and KD even look at NYC/Brooklyn in the first place? Because it's New York City.

It's time to face the facts. We bent over backwards for Kawhi, let him take a quarter of the season off, offered him $50 million more in guaranteed money, won a championship....

AND HE STILL DIDN'T STAY.

If you guys honestly think that free agency is one of the paths forward for this franchise I have no idea what kind of delusional bubble you live in.
              Plenty of guys have said if they were Kawhi they would have stayed. I think Toronto has earned a lot of cache as a big time market and that the league noticed the opportunities to not only win but to have a serious stranglehold on an entire country as a market; one that has international reach. Kawhi is a special case I believe and It’s not fun being negative so I’m going to be optimistic about our chances. After all, we still have Masai who delivered us one chip. I think he can get us some more.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Plenty of guys have said if they were Kawhi they would have stayed. I think Toronto has earned a lot of cache as a big time market and that the league noticed the opportunities to not only win but to have a serious stranglehold on an entire country as a market; one that has international reach. Kawhi is a special case I believe and It’s not fun being negative so I’m going to be optimistic about our chances. After all, we still have Masai who delivered us one chip. I think he can get us some more.
                Yep. Kawhi is a special case. He left because he wanted to play in LA, his hometown team. It's really that simple. EVERYONE knows this before he even got traded here.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Yep. Kawhi is a special case. He left because he wanted to play in LA, his hometown team. It's really that simple. EVERYONE knows this before he even got traded here.
                  I think it’s even more than that. He would have stayed if not for an unprecedented trade that landed Paul George for the clippers. Everything surrounding Kawhi is straight out of a movie, it’s incredible. From the youngest finals MVP, to the fall from grace, the shot, the return to greatness in a new country, the PG trade, coming home. It’s a truly amazing story.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't think you understand the concept.

No you don't have "the right" to breach a contract. That's why you're in breach of contract.
                    You can make the choice to be in breach (or find yourself unknowingly in breach) but that doesn't make it your right. In fact you have no right to be in breach which is why you are sued for breach of contract and you'd have to argue that you weren't, not that you had the right to be lol ....

No employee has the right to breach a contract without risk of being sued (because there's no right to breach in the first place. That sounds like a weird union stance that has no place in law,
                    Uh, this is what I’m saying. Anyone can walk away from a contract if they are willing to face the penalties. You gonna sue a guy the next time he decides to retire for not completing his contract? No, you just stop paying him, and sue if he decides to unretire with a competitor. Which is exactly the restriction an NBA player would face trying to walk away from a contract, except you don’t need to sue because you’ve got the internal mechanisms of the CBA to do that enforcement through.

People were asking why players can force their way out in trades. I’m answering the question - they don’t, but they don’t have to, because neither side wants to go down that path of fines, docked pay, suspensions, cancelled contracts, barring from the league, etc. Both sides lose. While if the team trades the player, generally speaking both sides win, or at least lose a lot less.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Had Presti been able to strike a deal for George with the Raptors — and Leonard was willing to stay — George was believed to be willing to join the Raptors too, sources said. Presti pursued a package of Russell Westbrook with George to the Raptors — with the NBA’s Most Improved Player, forward Pascal Siakam as the centerpiece of a deal — and Ujiri balked, league sources said.
                      Not sure I want Westbrook. But damn Ujiri must really really love Siakam. I think we should've looked into this.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post

Not sure I want Westbrook. But damn Ujiri must really really love Siakam. I think we should've looked into this.
                        I'm sure the ask would have also included 3-4 draft picks, and a few other core pieces to make salaries work .. tough choice ... but ya, that woulda been fun for the next few years.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

We've seen the value of fielding a competitive team and acquiring and developing players. I think a tear down would be a mistake. Raps don't want to be the Florida Marlins. It's a terrible look. No one would blame them but I don't see it. Front office is too good and too proud to take the easy way out and hope for the best. Raps aren't the Knicks.
                          Keep in mind the age of Kyle, Serge and Marc. Those would be the three primary guys I'd be looking at moving. Again, I'd be evaluating their value on the market, I'm not saying I'd do it. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it either.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Uh, this is what I’m saying. Anyone can walk away from a contract if they are willing to face the penalties. You gonna sue a guy the next time he decides to retire for not completing his contract? No, you just stop paying him, and sue if he decides to unretire with a competitor. Which is exactly the restriction an NBA player would face trying to walk away from a contract, except you don’t need to sue because you’ve got the internal mechanisms of the CBA to do that enforcement through.

People were asking why players can force their way out in trades. I’m answering the question - they don’t, but they don’t have to, because neither side wants to go down that path of fines, docked pay, suspensions, cancelled contracts, barring from the league, etc. Both sides lose. While if the team trades the player, generally speaking both sides win, or at least lose a lot less.
                            OK, the probem was your use of the word "right"

THey have the choice, the option perhaps but no right to be inb breach of a contract. And as you suggested, if you're not a great player (leverage), they can let you sit home and rot.

Comment

• The one minor down thing going through my mind when it looked like Kawhi was signing with us was 'I wonder if this will mean we lose out on Giannis'.

If you had to pick the best possible star in the NBA to build the global 'outsider' franchise around, you couldn't do better than Giannis. Leonard, for all his strengths, is American through and through, not global, in the way that say a Serge is.

So it's over to Masai now. Get us Giannis! And in the meantime, let's win some basketball games!!

Comment

• Man I’m so conditioned to checking my phone every 5 minutes for Kawhi updates. Now it’s just crickets but I’m still checking all the time lol

Comment

Working...
                                X