Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    ...Curious that the raps are interested.
    The Raps are always interested when an upper tier player is rumoured to be available. Masia has already shown us several times, you never know if you don't ask. And if you ask, maybe you can make it work.

Comment

• Baynes would be the center i would be targeting if i was masai, pretty similar play style to marc. Good passer can hit the 3. He may not stand out but he is always having a positive impact.
      However it looks like the suns are going to try out a twin tower starting lineup playing him and Ayton side by side. If they can keep themselves within distance of that 8 seed come deadline, i expect them to be buyers not sellers
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Drummond would be a fine player to pick up if we are looking for a bench C. I doubt he'd be too happy with that but you'd have to reach out and sell him on it first.

But in no scenario should the Raptors even consider giving up a 1st for Drummond.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• What about that guy who scored 30 in a Memphis win last night? What’s his name again? Thanks...once again, I’ll see myself out.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
            What about that guy who scored 30 in a Memphis win last night? What’s his name again? Thanks...once again, I’ll see myself out.
            God, do not tempt me.

Imagine a scenario where Memphis is willing to trade JV for Powell, Hernandez and a 1st. Then we trade Serge for a draft asset. JV has a declining deal, so he doesn't make much more than Powell by the time 2021 rolls around, and the giant hole in the 2021 plan is at C.

Cap sheet (assuming that 123M projected cap sticks) in 2021 would be Pascal, JV, Matt Thomas, OG's cap hold, Terry II's cap hold, a max slot, and 19.25M in cap room that can be used to re-sign Fred. That's a starting lineup of FVV-superstar-OG-Pascal-JV, with two backup guards under control, and then round out the roster with cheap depth for a year.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I’d take JV back in a heartbeat

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                I’d take JV back in a heartbeat
                Defense....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Defense....
                  Well, no one has proposed removing Gasol in the process. Though the defensive concerns are wildly overblown with JV.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah. There was always a double standard when judging JV’s defence. I often saw him able to defend his man 1 on 1 something I couldn’t say for everyone. Where he was definitely lacking was his ability to help defend when other players weren’t able to defend their man 1 on 1. On balance Id take him back for what he offers. And he was often able to find another gear in the playoffs, at times being a dominant centre offensively.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                      Yeah. There was always a double standard when judging JV’s defence. I often saw him able to defend his man 1 on 1 something I couldn’t say for everyone. Where he was definitely lacking was his ability to help defend when other players weren’t able to defend their man 1 on 1. On balance Id take him back for what he offers. And he was often able to find another gear in the playoffs, at times being a dominant centre offensively.
                      Raps already have a scoring center off the bench who comes up big in the playoffs and they don't have to worry about other teams isolating him in screen and roll 100% of the time.

Comment

Raps already have a scoring center off the bench who comes up big in the playoffs and they don't have to worry about other teams isolating him in screen and roll 100% of the time.
                        You mean Serge Ibaka? Have you watched him play PnR defence lately? He and JV are more and more comparable defensively (except for rebounding, although Serge has indeed been trending up there).

As for Serge "stepping up" in the playoffs, in a few individual games maybe, but on the whole his points/36, rebounds/36, 3 point %, FG%, midrange FG% were down from the regular season, his defensive numbers were about the same and his foul rate was way up last post-season.

Overall JV is a pretty dramatic upgrade on Serge at this point (and really always has been, but even more so now that Serge's footspeed is dropping off fast). The question is whether a) they can afford to fit his 2021 salary and b) whether they can convince MEM to let him go, considering he is pretty close to getting them into the playoffs.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think the issue was more when the team seemed incredibly uninterested in rebounding. Marc won't go in their and Serge takes nights off....JV even off the bench was good for 15 and 8 if given some minutes. His PER was incredibly high

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

You mean Serge Ibaka? Have you watched him play PnR defence lately? He and JV are more and more comparable defensively (except for rebounding, although Serge has indeed been trending up there).

As for Serge "stepping up" in the playoffs, in a few individual games maybe, but on the whole his points/36, rebounds/36, 3 point %, FG%, midrange FG% were down from the regular season, his defensive numbers were about the same and his foul rate was way up last post-season.

Overall JV is a pretty dramatic upgrade on Serge at this point (and really always has been, but even more so now that Serge's footspeed is dropping off fast). The question is whether a) they can afford to fit his 2021 salary and b) whether they can convince MEM to let him go, considering he is pretty close to getting them into the playoffs.
                            I'm pretty confident you could convince Memphis to let him go..... considering that there was zero free agent market for him in the offseason, I imagine you could likely get him without giving up much either. EDIT: Oh sorry, I saw you write he was pretty close to getting them to playoffs. Um, sure he is Chris Wallace, sure....

As for the rest, the whole point of stepping up in the playoffs is not your aggregated averages over the course of a series or playoffs, it's whether you helped your team win key games and Ibaka was huge in the deciding games against Philly, games 5 and 6 against MIL and every road game in the Finals.

JV puts up great stats, he works hard, and he's solid teammate but he is not going to help the Raptors win more in the playoffs than they would with Ibaka.

Comment

I'm pretty confident you could convince Memphis to let him go..... considering that there was zero free agent market for him in the offseason, I imagine you could likely get him without giving up much either.

As for the rest, the whole point of stepping up in the playoffs is not your aggregated averages over the course of a series or playoffs, it's whether you helped your team win key games and Ibaka was huge in the deciding games against Philly, games 5 and 6 against MIL and every road game in the Finals.

JV puts up great stats, he works hard, and he's solid teammate but he is not going to help the Raptors win more in the playoffs than they would with Ibaka.
                              Yeah, so Serge was good in a select few games. That's what I said. It's not like JV doesn't have a history of stepping up in the playoffs.

The subtext, of course, is that we're planning for 2021 here. You think you can get Serge under contract for 2021 for 14M? You gonna want Serge on the team at all in two-three years with his current rate of defensive decline?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X