Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Rudy B.... Its not Norm Powell thats driving that 190M$ number with his 11M$ AAV. Its Kawhi and Kyle and Serge and Marc.
    You get what you pay for.

For all the same reasons you don't bitch about buying or sellling a house at 800K vs 790K if its the place or price you want....the same holds true with the peripheral pieces on the raps roster. If your prepared to pay 180M$ to stay relevant .. why not 190M$ ?

Ownership views the issue much differently than the accountants do.
    If I'm understanding then that's not accurate. If the Raptors truly are that deep into luxury tax territory then Norm's contract costs them closer to $60M next season if they do not cap dump him. This due to crazy luxury tax rates for going over by that much. And all this from the perspective of having Norm vs giving Norm away.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 25, 2019, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• I usually check on him every year since every offseason the "what about De Colo?" question pops up. One thing I noticed this year is that his shot release looks noticeably quicker. Looks like he's getting a lot more comfortable with his shot (which happens sometimes as players mature):

I know NBA defences are much tougher than the ones on this clip, but you can tell that besides shooting ( both range and release speed), his court vision and slashing to the rim are on point and are reaching a notch above the euroleague level. I can see why he feels ready to get back to the NBA.

Having him in the back of the pocket when you need length combined with quick shooting and p'n'r attack would fit this team really well imo

Comment

• The Raptors could have used his play making and 43% from downtown.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

maybe there won't be a need to go into tax
          He's not meeting with them at midnight July 1st. He's probably meeting with the Raptors that day.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            The Raptors could have used his play making and 43% from downtown.
            No doubt. He's a different style PG too compared to Lowry & Fred, (both physically and on the account of playing in Europe for so long), so it's a look you put on the floor that might throw off the opponent sometimes. For example, in the Philly series, our backcourt was getting really stymied (the bigs had to carry us in that series). You throw a 6'5" De Colo out there at the point with quick release and some unorthodox euro passing and all of sudden the floor has a lot more space.

Comment

He's not meeting with them at midnight July 1st. He's probably meeting with the Raptors that day.
              FWIW, it's now 6 pm on June 30th but your point holds

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                I usually check on him every year since every offseason the "what about De Colo?" question pops up. One thing I noticed this year is that his shot release looks noticeably quicker. Looks like he's getting a lot more comfortable with his shot (which happens sometimes as players mature):

I know NBA defences are much tougher than the ones on this clip, but you can tell that besides shooting ( both range and release speed), his court vision and slashing to the rim are on point and are reaching a notch above the euroleague level. I can see why he feels ready to get back to the NBA.

Having him in the back of the pocket when you need length combined with quick shooting and p'n'r attack would fit this team really well imo
                With Kawhi and Pascal emerging, as long as Nando can consistently hit open shots, he's got tremendous value. However, NBA length and closeout speed is definitely another level. And even moreso in the playoffs. I don't like his release point on his jump shot, it seems a bit low.
                Last edited by golden; Tue Jun 25, 2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

FWIW, it's now 6 pm on June 30th but your point holds
                  Even more so.

Comment

Yeah this almost seems polite by Kawhi and Dennis. "Tentatively" means like, sure, lets pencil that in, but I can't promise I'll be there
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I like the look and I like the quick decision making with the ball. Seems to have GREAT court vision. And a nice shot. Both his passing and shooting could open things up. Be great with the second unit. The clips shows more offensive action than defensive but highlight some nice anticipation steals.

Comment

If I'm understanding then that's not accurate. If the Raptors truly are that deep into luxury tax territory then Norm's contract costs them closer to $60M next season if they do not cap dump him. This due to crazy luxury tax rates for going over by that much. And all this from the perspective of having Norm vs giving Norm away.
                        As does Freds contract ...or Danny Greens potential new contract... all in the range of 10M$ per year.
                        This is the price of being a winner and being competitive in the NBA. Its not house league. You play and pay to win. ..
                        The other 29 teams might give up a kidney and a lung to be named later not lottery protected to be in this position...

I guess the team could relent and surrender its hard won advantage and become a responsible budget conscious team.
                        Hell they won once... let the Celtics and the Hinkies and the Celtics have a chance and you can save some money.
                        To which I say... fuck off pussies.

Some of the fan base have brought the art or sucking and blowing at the same time to a new high.

You play to win.. at every level.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A former top Sacramento Kings executive was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison for siphoning $13.4 million from the team.

Jeffrey David, 44, the team’s former chief revenue officer, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.

David diverted the sponsorship payments of five companies to a bank account he controlled from October 2012 through July 2016, using the money to buy and remodel Southern California beachfront properties, pay for a private jet membership and pay off credit card bills.

“The brazen scheme involved forgeries, stolen corporate executive identities, money laundering and even instructing a former colleague to destroy evidence,” U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott said in a statement. “Today’s sentence should deter others from committing substantial frauds such as this one.”
                          https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/25...phoning-13-4m/

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yeah this almost seems polite by Kawhi and Dennis. "Tentatively" means like, sure, lets pencil that in, but I can't promise I'll be there
                            That's kind of how I'd look at it. You can't just blow off Jerry West, Doc Rivers and the richest owner in professional sports by not even granting them a meeting. They would lose all face.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

As does Freds contract ...or Danny Greens potential new contract... all in the range of 10M$ per year.
                              This is the price of being a winner and being competitive in the NBA. Its not house league. You play and pay to win. ..
                              The other 29 teams might give up a kidney and a lung to be named later not lottery protected to be in this position...

I guess the team could relent and surrender its hard won advantage and become a responsible budget conscious team.
                              Hell they won once... let the Celtics and the Hinkies and the Celtics have a chance and you can save some money.
                              To which I say... fuck off pussies.

Some of the fan base have brought the art or sucking and blowing at the same time to a new highstockowners happy .

You play to win.. at every level.
                              Demo, it IS a business. There will be a careful examination of the numbers. It might be that the financial analysts decide that going into tax to the tune of spending $40 - $50 million to retain Norman's services next year (or Danny's or Fred's) makes sense based on estimated revenues for the coming season of based on further cementing the fanbase for coming years if they don't win a championship. Or if Rogers and Bell see a large enough return on the broadcast side to offset the expense of the Basketball side. I don't have the numbers. But if the owners aren't taking steps to maximise profit, the stockholders could oust the board and upper management and install a different board and management team. Watching the value of their stock, or their dividends go down will not make stockowners happy. I don't know if saying "But everybody loves the team" will be a significant replacement for lost dollars.

The alternative is to get some single billionaire owner to buy out Rogers and Bell and then just do stuff to make himself feel good and allow him to hang out with NBA players. That doesn't always turnout well.

I haven't seen Dan saying "The team should do this or the team should do that." He has been couching in terms of "If the team wants to achieve this particular financial target it needs to take these actions, and here is the actual impact of moving this player or that player."

So not sure what your beef is. Everybody, Dan included, seems to be fine with MLSE spending whatever they want, and is supportive of anything that they do that continues providing us with excellent basketball. He simply seems to be cautioning about what to expect.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That's kind of how I'd look at it. You can't just blow off Jerry West, Doc Rivers and the richest owner in professional sports by not even granting them a meeting. They would lose all face.
                                So is he giving Cuban a meeting too in that case? I think this is more than a courtesy call. I think it would be much more disrespectful to put an act like they have a shot when they do not. Time is valuable, especially in early July in the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X