No announcement yet.

Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tell you one thing the NFL does that I wish we had in the NBA: Franchise Tags. It would greatly protect a bunch of teams from losing their stars so easily. Sure they can holdout (NFL players do it too) but at least the small markets have a little more leverage for trade purposes. The Pelicans got a pretty good haul but if AD could be franchise tagged other teams might have gotten more involved.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
      woj tweet (definitely not a bomb)

Woj is late to the dance.

Comment

• Anyone else have this feeling that Serge is going to be moved in the summer? We drafted a kid that plays a lot like him (which means little since that kid is going to be in the G-League), but more importantly.. Serge makes $20M as an expiring off our bench.

He was a huge factor in the playoffs (wouldn't have won game 7 against Philly without him). But he's a role player. Aron Baynes for example can be had for real cheap I bet (Suns are already talking about waiving him).

We are going to be taxed again and quite heavily if Kawhi comes back. Serge might be the easiest to move since he's an expiring. A team like NY who strikes out in free agency could take him for a future protected pick.

Only issue is that Serge is our Kawhi whisperer. Would be sad to see Serge go but if anyone does, I think he's probably the guy. Maybe Norm, but Norm's contract still has 3 years on it (last year is a PO).

Comment

• I think Serge is safe if Kawhi comes back.

Comment

• what happened to this franchise

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              I think Serge is safe if Kawhi comes back.
              Maybe.. I just think a significant cut has to come from somewhere. Maybe they don't bring Danny back then. Or work out some deal for Norm with a team. But they are limited with cap saving moves if they hold on to Serge. Or they could eat the tax.. but as Dan said earlier on that could cost the team $75M in just tax payments.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Dan—is one’s cap hold ever lower than their previous year’s salary? IE if it was clear their market value was less than their cap hold? So in the case of the Raptors in 2020 if they run it back would Lowry’s cap hold be over $30 mill and Ibaka/Gasol’s over $20 mill?
                Nope, cap holds are always higher than the previous year's salary. Lowry's cap hold in 2020 will be his max salary (41M). Ibaka's will be 35M. Gasol's 38M. If we want to re-sign those guys and still use cap space, we'll need to sign them first, or renounce their rights and sign them with an exception instead (but exceptions are very limited for teams that use cap space, would be only if one of them are borderline minimum salary players).
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Anyone else have this feeling that Serge is going to be moved in the summer? We drafted a kid that plays a lot like him (which means little since that kid is going to be in the G-League), but more importantly.. Serge makes $20M as an expiring off our bench.

He was a huge factor in the playoffs (wouldn't have won game 7 against Philly without him). But he's a role player. Aron Baynes for example can be had for real cheap I bet (Suns are already talking about waiving him).

We are going to be taxed again and quite heavily if Kawhi comes back. Serge might be the easiest to move since he's an expiring. A team like NY who strikes out in free agency could take him for a future protected pick.

Only issue is that Serge is our Kawhi whisperer. Would be sad to see Serge go but if anyone does, I think he's probably the guy. Maybe Norm, but Norm's contract still has 3 years on it (last year is a PO).
                  OG will be back and needs (and should get) minutes. I could see them having Siakam use some of his minutes in Serge's bench 5 role, and OG filling in the minutes that leaves from Siakam's role this year. More small ball basically, but the same starting unit.

Siakam at the 5 is a look with potential that hasn't really even been used yet. Keep Gasol and then a depth guy for big bodies as needed.
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Maybe.. I just think a significant cut has to come from somewhere. Maybe they don't bring Danny back then. Or work out some deal for Norm with a team. But they are limited with cap saving moves if they hold on to Serge. Or they could eat the tax.. but as Dan said earlier on that could cost the team $75M in just tax payments.

Norm. Everyone was lamenting this time last year about his contract and lack of productivity. We all thought it would be difficult to move him. Not so difficult right now. So move him. That's my view. Make was for OG and maybe Nando.

Comment

Norm. Everyone was lamenting this time last year about his contract and lack of productivity. We all thought it would be difficult to move him. Not so difficult right now. So move him. That's my view. Make was for OG and maybe Nando.
                      Agree. Sell high
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I tell you one thing the NFL does that I wish we had in the NBA: Franchise Tags. It would greatly protect a bunch of teams from losing their stars so easily. Sure they can holdout (NFL players do it too) but at least the small markets have a little more leverage for trade purposes. The Pelicans got a pretty good haul but if AD could be franchise tagged other teams might have gotten more involved.
                        A good suggestion however the NBA is more prone to honoring wishes of location to be traded to. AD for eg could just negate a trade to Boston by saying he would not sign long term there. Such a process (franchise tag) would also have to be part of a cba and I dont see the PA agreeing to this. Some other variation perhaps.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

A good suggestion however the NBA is more prone to honoring wishes of location to be traded to. AD for eg could just negate a trade to Boston by saying he would not sign long term there. Such a process (franchise tag) would also have to be part of a cba and I dont see the PA agreeing to this. Some other variation perhaps.
                          How did Toronto get Kawhi Leonard again? Worked out alright, I think.

Comment

Anyone else have this feeling that Serge is going to be moved in the summer? We drafted a kid that plays a lot like him (which means little since that kid is going to be in the G-League), but more importantly.. Serge makes $20M as an expiring off our bench.

I definitely think that Serge moving is a possibility. But it could be Norm, and it could be Green just walking.

de Colo coming back to the NBA is interesting too, as if he comes in cheaper than Norm or Green (say, $5M or so?) he could supplement our guard depth when we lose one or both of them.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Oh, if Norm has a market, you absolutely move him first. I'm not convinced his value is actually that high right now though.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Oh, if Norm has a market, you absolutely move him first. I'm not convinced his value is actually that high right now though.
                                I dunno he had a pretty big bounce back year shooting wise, and was a rotation player for the world champs.

teams like Brooklyn and Phoenix who dont wamna tank next year and have cap space...

the market should be more clear for a Powell after the first few days of free agency when the max guys are gone
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X