Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post

I'm sure the ask would have also included 3-4 draft picks, and a few other core pieces to make salaries work .. tough choice ... but ya, that woulda been fun for the next few years.
    Sam Presti in OKC prolly had two open Phone lines in the Thunder war room connected to the Raps and Clips. He leveraged the hell out of this deal.

I am not not so sure this was an open bid rather than a way to get a little more out of the Clips.

Tip of the hat hat to Sam who did very well by his team in a tight spot.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Well, I'm guessing Ujiri goes into next season with who we have on the roster right now. Gauge the value of the expiring contracts and ultimately let the money come off the books. Create another group of championship caliber role players and wait for his opportunity to trade for a superstar.

But its Ujiri so who knows.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Well, I'm guessing Ujiri goes into next season with who we have on the roster right now. Gauge the value of the expiring contracts and ultimately let the money come off the books. Create another group of championship caliber role players and wait for his opportunity to trade for a superstar.

But its Ujiri so who knows.
        I would guess you're right since MSLE is still going to want to fill seats for as long as possible by showing we're still competitive for awhile. But right now, we took the 2017 team and traded DeRozan, Poeltl, Wright, CJ's PJs and JV for old man Gasol....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I would guess you're right since MSLE is still going to want to fill seats for as long as possible by showing we're still competitive for awhile. But right now, we took the 2017 team and traded DeRozan, Poeltl, Wright, CJ's PJs and JV for old man Gasol....
          Correction/addendum.... and a NBA Championship.

I'll take that.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Sam Presti in OKC prolly had two open Phone lines in the Thunder war room connected to the Raps and Clips. He leveraged the hell out of this deal.

I am not not so sure this was an open bid rather than a way to get a little more out of the Clips.

Tip of the hat hat to Sam who did very well by his team in a tight spot.
            Off the top... if Masai were not here i'd take Presti as the Raps gm. He continues with OKC a small market team and probably even less of a favoured destination than Toronto with ownership who seem to put the brakes on spending (Harden deal) and losing KD for nothing. Some of his picks may seem wanting but I don't know much about the details there.

Comment

...and a championship.

We were pretty likely to be in this position at this time regardless of the trades. Our rebuild was going to happen regardless as Lowry aged out.

Personally my only sadness at this point is that we don't get to watch a JV/Siakam frontcourt hit its prime together, but we got what we needed from Gasol this year so it is what it is.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

Correction/addendum.... and a NBA Championship.

I'll take that.
                I knew that was coming. Correct, and I obviously wouldn't trad eit for anything.
                But the "basically the same team as last year" is also incorrect. As lomng as fans are OK with going back to competing for seating and "anything can happen" fine.

But the danger in tasting true success is tha tmore fans don't want to settle and the limitations are more obvious to more people.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  One more thing: if you think every NBA player didn't see exactly what I just wrote you're out of your mind. They all saw Kawhi have a whole country behind him, win a chip, rest as much as he wanted, be due more guaranteed money... and bail.

In terms of free agency invalidation this is about as damning as you can get. Drake? Meaningless. And it doesn't help that we dumped the only homegrown player who was loyal to us.

Banking on a free agent is a lot worse odds than rebuilding through the draft.
                  Not sure you can build through the draft, though it's part of it.

You need all three methods of player acquisition to be successful. In Raps case, while I agree you need to draft well, they also need to trade effectively as you can't rely on the draft alone. They also need to start being more effective in free agency. It's also important that they continue to develop guys - Boucher, Loyd, Miller, whoever.

I do agree though that relying on signing Gianni's is a massive mistake. I don't believe the Raps will do that. I think they will continue to acquire players through draft and unsigned players and look for distressed assets (e.g. Lowry or Leonard at the high end, etc.) if they come up and Raps like them. Fill out the roster with low risk free agents and work from there.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Not sure you can build through the draft, though it's part of it.

You need all three methods of player acquisition to be successful. In Raps case, while I agree you need to draft well, they also need to trade effectively as you can't rely on the draft alone. They also need to start being more effective in free agency. It's also important that they continue to develop guys - Boucher, Loyd, Miller, whoever.

I do agree though that relying on signing Gianni's is a massive mistake. I don't believe the Raps will do that. I think they will continue to acquire players through draft and unsigned players and look for distressed assets (e.g. Lowry or Leonard at the high end, etc.) if they come up and Raps like them. Fill out the roster with low risk free agents and work from there.
                    Solely relying on signing Giannis would be a mistake but I think Masai is going to make damn sure the option exists in 2021.

Comment

I knew that was coming. Correct, and I obviously wouldn't trad eit for anything.
                      But the "basically the same team as last year" is also incorrect. As lomng as fans are OK with going back to competing for seating and "anything can happen" fine.

But the danger in tasting true success is tha tmore fans don't want to settle and the limitations are more obvious to more people.
                      I think that in a "perverse" way the next journey while likely bumpy shall be thrilling too (I hope). With Masai at the helm .... probably more motivated and having picked up some pointers... we should be fine. The fair weather/newbie fans I am not thinking about... this is playing with the big boys. I am glad Masai did not bite on the Presti "offer".

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

Solely relying on signing Giannis would be a mistake but I think Masai is going to make damn sure the option exists in 2021.
                        Agreed. He'd be stupid not to if there is any chance. Plus, guys like that have a ripple effect, other options might open up if other teams miss out.

Comment

• So in other news I'm trading Kawhi in 2K19. We just completed the back to back chips in 2019 and 2020 but he's out this off season. We don't need anyone on the team who isn't tough enough to take an occasional cold day...

Comment

No we didn't. We traded all those guys for credibility. They were sacrificed for the Championship. Mission accomplish, no regrets. Not even a shred. I'm sure Masai would do it all again even now know Kawhi is long gone.

No one can diss the Raptors now and hide their prejudice behind Raptors history. We just saw a good example of it the other day when SAS was forced to admit he didn't think Kawhi would come back because he of his own biases: he couldn't stand the idea of the Championship residing in the place basketball was ****ing invented.
                            Last edited by Apollo; Sun Jul 7, 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Omg, just came back from a bucket list vacay across the pond where you see girls behind a glass then I see this punch in the gut awful news.

The GROAT going home and stole his 2.0 from OKC with him. Wow and wow. Oh well, we tried our very best all year long.

The Championship, Masai and love by the whole country were not enough to convince him to stay. Thanking him for everything. Danny was the collateral damage as well. Gratitude to both for giving us that experience we havent had before. Masai took the biggest gamble of his executive career by trading for them and to me it was well worth it.

Many thanks Kawhi and Danny Green !

Comment

• I would like the raptors to take a look at Jabari Parker or Trey Lyles.

Trey Lyles seems more like Masai's flavour. Parkers scoring ability would help with the lost of Kawhi. Hoping his defense can be pasable surrounded around plus defenders.
                                Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun Jul 7, 2019, 02:03 PM.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X