Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Really don’t know what to say if you guys really believe that JV moves better defensively than Gasol.
    I didn't say JV moves better defensively than Gasol. The 538 metric is questioning Gasol's defense. Offensively and rebounding wise, there really is no comparison.

Comment

In all situations! I think Gasol moves a lot better than JV laterally, not a bit. If it was just a bit JV would still be on this team. There’s reason they always wanted JV to fall back on the screen whereas every other big on the team would either hedge/switch.
      I guess rebounding is not a basketball "situation".

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I didn't say JV moves better defensively than Gasol. The 538 metric is questioning Gasol's defense. Offensively and rebounding wise, there really is no comparison.
        Okay, I never brought up offence or rebounding. Just that Gasol is more agile and moved better defensively. Raptors never needed JV offence and rebounding. Those were nice luxuries but, not necessary. We needed a defensive anchor.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I guess rebounding is not a basketball "situation".
          You can be a good rebounder and not be agile or good lateral.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Anyways I’d like to bring in Bender. Love the way he moves and he’s actually a decent rim protector too. I think he’s like a year younger than Hernandez too. Definitely worth a look. Bender had a 11 points, 6 assist and 7 blocks game this year. Only a handful of players have ever done that.

More money overseas though.
            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed Jul 17, 2019, 10:36 AM.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Okay, I never brought up offence or rebounding. Just that Gasol is more agile and moved better defensively. Raptors never needed JV offence and rebounding. Those were nice luxuries but, not necessary. We needed a defensive anchor.
              Come on now, don't be revisionist. The Raptors often needed JV's offence and rebounding. They barely squeaked by the 76ers because they couldn't score or rebound.

But they did indeed need Gasol's defence and defensive versatility, especially in the later rounds. There were very specific matchups where they needed that more than JV's offence and rebounding, and they made the trade for those specific matchups. But let's not also pretend there is some massive difference in footspeed between the two - Gasol is just way further along the curve of a big man learning when and how to defend given his speed limitations. Even at his peak Gasol was one of the slower C's in the league, regardless of the comparison you might want to make directly to JV and our disagreements about the relative differences between the two - which was the point, it's not about just getting quick players, get players who are good at defence, offence, whatever you are concerned about, and worry less about exactly how they are good at that, just that they are. Any idiot GM can sign players who are quick - but that won't build a great defence, like the Raptors built for the playoffs last year.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You can be a good rebounder and not be agile or good lateral.
                So why isn't Gasol a better rebounder than JV @ 7 ft 1, with a great wingspan, quicker feet and higher IQ? Rebounding is luxury? lmao. Never heard that one before... is that a Larry Brown quote or did you just make that up?

If Kawhi, Danny and Lowry aren't elite rebounders for their position then we probably don't even get out of the 1st round. 5 games max vs. the Sixers.

Comment

So why isn't Gasol a better rebounder than JV @ 7 ft 1, with a great wingspan, quicker feet and higher IQ? Rebounding is luxury? lmao. Never heard that one before... is that a Larry Brown quote or did you just make that up?

If Kawhi, Danny and Lowry aren't elite rebounders for their position then we probably don't even get out of the 1st round. 5 games max vs. the Sixers.
                  Your proving my point. The fact that we had great rebounders and scorers at other positions is why it was a luxury.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Come on now, don't be revisionist. The Raptors often needed JV's offence and rebounding. They barely squeaked by the 76ers because they couldn't score or rebound.

But they did indeed need Gasol's defence and defensive versatility, especially in the later rounds. There were very specific matchups where they needed that more than JV's offence and rebounding, and they made the trade for those specific matchups. But let's not also pretend there is some massive difference in footspeed between the two - Gasol is just way further along the curve of a big man learning when and how to defend given his speed limitations. Even at his peak Gasol was one of the slower C's in the league, regardless of the comparison you might want to make directly to JV and our disagreements about the relative differences between the two - which was the point, it's not about just getting quick players, get players who are good at defence, offence, whatever you are concerned about, and worry less about exactly how they are good at that, just that they are. Any idiot GM can sign players who are quick - but that won't build a great defence, like the Raptors built for the playoffs last year.
                    Exactly. Gasol knows when to gamble, hedge, hang back, pressure...he doesn't question his decision and commits to it. A split second of indecision on a defenders part in this league and they will tear you up.

But I don't think its just a case of Gasol being further along the curve, I think hes just smarter that way and always will be. You can't teach instincts. Well, you can, but there's a ceiling on how good they can be.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

All the bigs that Masai has acquired have all been agile and quick on their feet. That’s not by mistake. JV is in his 8th year he is not going to get any better at pnr coverages or guarding the perimeter. If JV is on this team instead of Gasol raptors don’t win the ship. Which is my point. I really don’t want to argue about a guy that’s not even on the team.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Your proving my point. The fact that we had great rebounders and scorers at other positions is why it was a luxury.
                        But you're also proving the same point that Gasol was redundant - when what we do know is that we badly needed scoring in the playoffs - especially in the Sixers series, when Gasol (and Lowry's) becoming afraid to shoot crippled the offense.

Comment

All the bigs that Masai has acquired have all been agile and quick on their feet. That’s not by mistake. JV is in his 8th year he is not going to get any better at pnr coverages or guarding the perimeter. If JV is on this team instead of Gasol raptors don’t win the ship. Which is my point. I really don’t want to argue about a guy that’s not even on the team.
                          Yeah, whoever brought up JV should probably not have done that, they went and made you have to discuss JV. Whoever that was should give their head a shake.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I hate the offseason

Comment

In regards to Bender. I would love to take a flier on him. I’m all in for taking in young 6’9”+ players that are agile and can move laterally well.

After JV raptors should really never have another slow footed big on this team.
                              He's 7'1". I know that's 6'9"+ but I'd call that ++++.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                I hate the offseason
                                I've never felt this way about an offseason...we just completed the goal, and the team is clearly taking at least a half step back and retooling

This is maybe the least antsy I've been to get back to basketball. The FIBA cup intrigues me in 6 weeks more than the next Raps season does right now.

There's only 2 guys I'm truly interested in right now on the team: Masai Ujiri and Pascal Siakam. I wanna see Masai in the boardroom prove he's bigger than Kawhi on the court, and I wanna see the "Pascal Siakam unleashed" tour and figure out what we have here.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X