No announcement yet.

Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The days of old where Chr1s1anL would battle anyone and everyone about DD and JV. We’ve come a long way, let’s not regress back to those days.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I've never felt this way about an offseason...we just completed the goal, and the team is clearly taking at least a half step back and retooling

This is maybe the least antsy I've been to get back to basketball. The FIBA cup intrigues me in 6 weeks more than the next Raps season does right now.

There's only 2 guys I'm truly interested in right now on the team: Masai Ujiri and Pascal Siakam. I wanna see Masai in the boardroom prove he's bigger than Kawhi on the court, and I wanna see the "Pascal Siakam unleashed" tour and figure out what we have here.
      I mostly agree but I wanna see Kyle have one more big time year, and I want to see these guys fight as underdogs and make the conference finals or finals.

Comment

I've never felt this way about an offseason...we just completed the goal, and the team is clearly taking at least a half step back and retooling

This is maybe the least antsy I've been to get back to basketball. The FIBA cup intrigues me in 6 weeks more than the next Raps season does right now.

There's only 2 guys I'm truly interested in right now on the team: Masai Ujiri and Pascal Siakam. I wanna see Masai in the boardroom prove he's bigger than Kawhi on the court, and I wanna see the "Pascal Siakam unleashed" tour and figure out what we have here.
        Assuming no major injuries or changes to the roster, I could see Pascal as a 20/8/4 guy, but his efficiency could drop significantly. It's hard to picture him as a 26+ % USG first option type of guy with his current handles, 3-pt shot and lack of a consistent quick pullup/step-back jumper. It will require yet another unprecedented leap in growth.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Assuming no major injuries or changes to the roster, I could see Pascal as a 20/8/4 guy, but his efficiency could drop significantly. It's hard to picture him as a 26+ % USG first option type of guy with his current handles, 3-pt shot and lack of a consistent quick pullup/step-back jumper. It will require yet another unprecedented leap in growth.
          Consider his per 36 minute stat line in the playoffs with Kawhi taking pressure off him: 19/7/3.

Its going to get tougher for him now because teams can send the double team.

Comment

Very true... the calm after winning it all and then see that the org. did pretty much everything to keep Kawhi provides a sense of adventure going forward with a retool re how MU sets up the team here on out. I would just add that I am looking to see how OG shall progress after an unfortunate 18-19 season. Imagine he and Pascal at the max

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Consider his per 36 minute stat line in the playoffs with Kawhi taking pressure off him: 19/7/3.

Its going to get tougher for him now because teams can send the double team.
              How about 19.4 / 7.6 / 3.9 ?

Comment

But consider this
                https://www.basketball-reference.com....fcgi?id=iLVwz

The next season was Kawhis breakout year.

And then consider this:
                Weaknesses: Does not have one aspect offensively that stands out or which allows him to consistently score the ball … With his size and frame, will almost certainly be a perimeter player at the next level, but he lacks the polish and skill necessary to consistently operate on the wing … He does not have break down ability off the dribble and he is especially shaky handling the ball with his left hand … His jumpshot (while definitely improved) is still very inconsistent … The release comes high off his head and it is somewhat of a sling motion, which results in a fairly flat shot that goes all over the place … At this level, he has a size advantage on almost a nightly basis, but he still chooses to take the majority of his shots from the outside … Takes a high number of off balance shots, but does not show the ability to convert them at a good percentage … He does not have a great touch around the basket, and unless he can get inside position on the defense, he struggles finishing when contested … Not very disciplined defensively, he gambles far too often and leaves his team susceptible to giving up easy baskets …
                That was Kawhi Leonards scouting report.

Unleash the Spice!
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• We've climbed the top of the mountain. That feeling will never go away. This season coming up is essentially a write off. We can try to make some magic without a super star around but it's not likely. We are going to be playoff fodder. The regular season really has no bearing on what happens. We could try to get home court in the first round.. maybe we don't. We should make the playoffs since the bottom teams in the East are still garbage. But really the regular season is pointless.

Ultimately I will watch because I'm a fan of the team but I'm really not expecting much.

Next season however should be really interesting as we'll have a boat load of cap space and options that can change our core going forward as we head into the next phase of Raptor basketball.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    We've climbed the top of the mountain. That feeling will never go away. This season coming up is essentially a write off. We can try to make some magic without a super star around but it's not likely. We are going to be playoff fodder. The regular season really has no bearing on what happens. We could try to get home court in the first round.. maybe we don't. We should make the playoffs since the bottom teams in the East are still garbage. But really the regular season is pointless.

Ultimately I will watch because I'm a fan of the team but I'm really not expecting much.

Next season however should be really interesting as we'll have a boat load of cap space and options that can change our core going forward as we head into the next phase of Raptor basketball.
                    And you can't tell me the West isn't interesting as hell. The "Super Star Tag Team Battle Royale"

Westbrook-Harden
                    Lebron-AD
                    Kawhi-George

and don't sleep on the deep and scrappy Nuggets and Jazz, or an unleashed Steph Curry and Draymond

Not gonna lie, I'm cheering against Kawhi. I don't want the narrative to be "Kawhi just carries teams to titles" I want the narrative to be "The Toronto Raptors and Kawhi won the title"

Comment

But consider this
                      https://www.basketball-reference.com....fcgi?id=iLVwz

The next season was Kawhis breakout year.

And then consider this:

That was Kawhi Leonards scouting report.

Unleash the Spice!
                      Spurs had 3 other 20% USG guys on the roster when Kawhi broke out (Parker, Duncan, Ginobili) - so he didn't have to shoot when opposing teams zeroed in on him. The problem isn't Siakam reaching another level this year, it's that this iteration of the Raps roster doesn't have anybody else with high enough USG to take the defensive pressure off him. Ibaka can be a 20%+ guy, but he's not really a shot creator. If Lowry and Gasol can turn back into their former selves (which I could definitely see happening), then that's a better situation for Pascal. The players should be a lot more relaxed with a championship under their belt and not having to play on pins and needles all year because of the Kawhi stay/go situation hanging over the team.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                        The days of old where Chr1s1anL would battle anyone and everyone about DD and JV. We’ve come a long way, let’s not regress back to those days.
                        Chr1s1anL would have preferred us to have been steamrolled in the playoffs so he could some on here and say that DD and Casey weren't part of the problem in the past.

Comment

Chr1s1anL would have preferred us to have been steamrolled in the playoffs so he could some on here and say that DD and Casey weren't part of the problem in the past.
                          But luckily we won, so instead he can come on and say JV was the problem of the past

Comment

How about 19.4 / 7.6 / 3.9 ?
                            Is he playing 36 minutes per game? And who's pitching in to get him some of those easy looks from Kawhi being out there? I no doubt think he improves but things are going to be much more difficult because defenses will be keying in on him.

Comment

And you can't tell me the West isn't interesting as hell. The "Super Star Tag Team Battle Royale"

Westbrook-Harden
                              Lebron-AD
                              Kawhi-George

and don't sleep on the deep and scrappy Nuggets and Jazz, or an unleashed Steph Curry and Draymond

Not gonna lie, I'm cheering against Kawhi. I don't want the narrative to be "Kawhi just carries teams to titles" I want the narrative to be "The Toronto Raptors and Kawhi won the title"
                              Sure, the NBA will be interesting.. but the Raptors themselves probably won't be. It's nice to see the West have a bit more parity with the Warriors now dismantled.. and seeing teams with 2 stars instead of 3. But that's all in the West. I'm not staying up until midnight to watch some random Clipper or Laker game.

And I agree.. if the Clippers win it will suck.. but that team is stacked. They have two 6MOY guys with PG & Kawhi. Bev is a nasty defender.. Shamet can shoot. I always liked JaMychal Green. And they have one of the better coaches in the league. I'm hoping they fail but I have them as the favourite right now.

Comment

• Pascal will go way over 20...I say 23-24 ppg, top 15 scorer.

I understand he'll be the top focus of other teams. But, he'll also be the top focus...of our team... it's both a positive and a negative depending on how you wanna spin it.

He's damn near unstoppable in the paint with the ball and moving, his shot is improving, and he plays beside Kyle Lowry and Marc Gasol. Kid will score often, Kyle Lowry teams will always have an all star scorer on their roster

Comment

Working...
                                X