Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Yeah, you know, like key parts of the current NBA Champions.
    They will be key parts of the former champions next year and the year after and the year after too....doesn't mean they're not slowing down and aging

Too many fans counting on aging vets to do the same thing they did last year or prior years and never falling off a cliff imo
    We'll be in 4th or 5th place sometime this year and everyone will be calling for them to be traded lol; just like it would have been if we hadn't win the chip

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

They will be key parts of the former champions next year and the year after and the year after too....doesn't mean they're not slowing down and aging

Too many fans counting on aging vets to do the same thing they did last year or prior years and never falling off a cliff imo
      We'll be in 4th or 5th place sometime this year and everyone will be calling for them to be traded lol; just like it would have been if we hadn't win the chip
      I mean, I get your point. But the same thing was said about Lowry going into last season. And Gasol when we acquired him (with much more evidence than there was with Lowry). It’s certainly a bit much to assume there will be no drop off at all. But assuming there will be a dramatic drop off this specific season is no safer an assumption.

Anyone calling for them to be traded, if we are in 4th or 5th place, should be calling for it now. Trading the vets means rebuilding, and you don’t need to see results from a half season this year to decide whether that is the path to take.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Yeah, you know, like key parts of the current NBA Champions.
        Well said Puff. I hear this underrating of our vets every year. Last September (2018) we all heard the dismissing of Lowry and Ibaka (and later on Gasol) as aging injury-prone vets that won't contribute much. Then they go on to be key parts of a freakin' championship (a champioship in which, yes, Kawhi was the main player, but in no way would have won anything if it wasn't for these 3 "old" guys), and yet people still take it for granted and dismiss them. None will be likely be the best player on the team next year, but they will be high IQ experienced defending champions on contract years. Barring injury, which can happen to anyone, they'll should be beyond solid.

Comment

• Gasol has the gas to play for his country. Far from washed up at this point. He’s basically rookie Trailblazers’ Sabonis.

Comment

• This site suddenly died....everyone going back to school or something?
            Surely there must be something to argue about lol

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Spending your money on role players is not the only option in free agency.
              I think the plan is to wait for Giannis to hit free agency. His relationship with Masai and wanting to grow the game in Africa makes Toronto a perfect destination for him. Masai always plans many moves ahead and prepping for Giannis is the right move. If we keep our young core and add Giannis we move eight back into being championship favorites.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think the plan is to wait for Giannis to hit free agency. His relationship with Masai and wanting to grow the game in Africa makes Toronto a perfect destination for him. Masai always plans many moves ahead and prepping for Giannis is the right move. If we keep our young core and add Giannis we move eight back into being championship favorites.
                Let's hope this is a really high priority for Giannis....

The Greek Freak’ wants to go back to his Nigerian roots
                Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo opens up about his African upbringing

https://theundefeated.com/features/b...igerian-roots/

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                  This site suddenly died....everyone going back to school or something?
                  Surely there must be something to argue about lol
                  I tried to get everone riled up about the overrated Clippers. Worked for a couple hours...

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

I tried to get everone riled up about the overrated Clippers. Worked for a couple hours...
                    Yeah, the topic de jour is Team Canada apathy, but everybody seems apathetic about that. lol.

Comment

• DeRozan, future hall of famer?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Crazy that LA can score so many points predicated off that turnaround J of his. DeMar, meanwhile, shows no signs of slowing down.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                          DeRozan, future hall of famer?

No chance unless he gets some rings
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

No chance unless he gets some rings
                            He just turned 30. He's going to surpass 20K points pretty easily. He's a 4 time all star, Olympic Gold medalist.

Hall of fame resume if you ask me.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

He just turned 30. He's going to surpass 20K points pretty easily. He's a 4 time all star, Olympic Gold medalist.

Hall of fame resume if you ask me.
                              I dunno, look at other modern era 20k point guys. Is DeRozan's career more Antawn Jamison or more Paul Pierce/Ray Allen? Jamison's not going to the Hall but the other two will be for sure.

I'm not looking to slag the guy but he's a career poor defender whose teams were often better with him on the bench. That's pretty unique and doesn't sound very HoF, but maybe it won't matter.
                              ​
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I dunno, look at other modern era 20k point guys. Is DeRozan's career more Antawn Jamison or more Paul Pierce/Ray Allen? Jamison's not going to the Hall but the other two will be for sure.

I'm not looking to slag the guy but he's a career poor defender whose teams were often better with him on the bench. That's pretty unique and doesn't sound very HoF, but maybe it won't matter.
                                ​
                                Somewhere in between perhaps? Ray Allen without a championship? Jamison had a very good career, but never had much cache as a "star" for one reason or another. Case in point, only 2 allstar appearances vs DeMar's 4+. Then, at one point it could have been argued that Jamison had had the better career than Vince, but now (ironically) Vince's durability has won out.

I guess a fair bit hinges on just how successful DeMar can be in San Antonio - back to the allstar game + some kind of playoff success - coupled with superior longevity, could have him in the hall.
                                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Sep 3, 2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X