Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    Hilarious
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Saw this on reddit...

That's really good

Comment

Saw this on reddit...

Ah damnit, dust in my eye again
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• This whole NBA China thing sucks. I've been a fan of the league because I love basketball, but I've also been a fan of the NBA because I've respected the social awareness and willingness to speak out politically from almost all levels of the league in a way that no other major NA league has the cojones to do. That's all going out the window now, we've got players, execs, and owners literally delivering Trump-like lines (the guy a lot of them can't stand and won't go to the WH to see) about "good people on both sides" in a very transparent damage control attempt that's about nothing more than protecting business interests.

It's not a complicated or nuanced thing for a guy to say "I support freedom and democracy." If that statement causes an authoritarian government to cancel cable broadcasts and pull merchandise from online and brick and mortar shops and make NBA employees travelling in-country feel somewhat at risk - the issue might be with the authoritarian government and not the tweet? Just a thought. I realize it's supposed to be complicated.

I shouldn't be surprised but am disappointed anyway.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            This whole NBA China thing sucks. I've been a fan of the league because I love basketball, but I've also been a fan of the NBA because I've respected the social awareness and willingness to speak out politically from almost all levels of the league in a way that no other major NA league has the cojones to do. That's all going out the window now, we've got players, execs, and owners literally delivering Trump-like lines (the guy a lot of them can't stand and won't go to the WH to see) about "good people on both sides" in a very transparent damage control attempt that's about nothing more than protecting business interests.

It's not a complicated or nuanced thing for a guy to say "I support freedom and democracy." If that statement causes an authoritarian government to cancel cable broadcasts and pull merchandise from online and brick and mortar shops and make NBA employees travelling in-country feel somewhat at risk - the issue might be with the authoritarian government and not the tweet? Just a thought. I realize it's supposed to be complicated.

I'm right out of it and haven't followed any of the kerfuffle. But here's a thing. I read someplace that China generates a billion dollars a year for the NBA. If that true? If it is one quarter true, call it $250 million. Some of that is profit, some of that is overhead or manufacturing costs or whatever, but a big chunk of that is wages for technicians, retail staff in stores, people working for media outlets, restaurant employees etc. You see what I'm saying. The NBA or NBA staff, reps and/or employees can say what they want. But the team owners and bureaucrats are not the ones going to lose money or jobs. Or at least won't be hurt by it. It's the little guys who will pay the biggest price. Celebrities and sports figures don't have a place in foreign affairs. At least that is my belief. They have no clue of the implications of their words, who will be helped or who will be hurt. Anyone who thinks the Chinese government is going to change IT'S policy because of what anyone associated with the NBA says is living in something so far beyond a dreamworld you can't even get there from here.

IMHO

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              This whole NBA China thing sucks. I've been a fan of the league because I love basketball, but I've also been a fan of the NBA because I've respected the social awareness and willingness to speak out politically from almost all levels of the league in a way that no other major NA league has the cojones to do. That's all going out the window now, we've got players, execs, and owners literally delivering Trump-like lines (the guy a lot of them can't stand and won't go to the WH to see) about "good people on both sides" in a very transparent damage control attempt that's about nothing more than protecting business interests.

I think its hilarious frankly that the curtain has been pulled down on these humanitarians. It's like finding out the Tooth Fairy isn't actually dropping change under your pillow. Everything was a goddamn lie.

These people are motivated by money!?!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I'm right out of it and haven't followed any of the kerfuffle. But here's a thing. I read someplace that China generates a billion dollars a year for the NBA. If that true? If it is one quarter true, call it $250 million. Some of that is profit, some of that is overhead or manufacturing costs or whatever, but a big chunk of that is wages for technicians, retail staff in stores, people working for media outlets, restaurant employees etc. You see what I'm saying. The NBA or NBA staff, reps and/or employees can say what they want. But the team owners and bureaucrats are not the ones going to lose money or jobs. Or at least won't be hurt by it. It's the little guys who will pay the biggest price. Celebrities and sports figures don't have a place in foreign affairs. At least that is my belief. They have no clue of the implications of their words, who will be helped or who will be hurt. Anyone who thinks the Chinese government is going to change IT'S policy because of what anyone associated with the NBA says is living in something so far beyond a dreamworld you can't even get there from here.

IMHO
                The response from China to a deleted Morey tweet about Hong Kong protests has been nuts. They cancelled broadcasts of preseason games, they pulled Houston Rockets gear from their online stores and brick and mortar stores, they pulled down banners, murals, and bus stand ads, they even got Nike to pull Houston Rockets merch from Nike's online China store. Adam Silver had to go meet with gov. reps and also do damage control meetings with players in China. The Chinese government is forcing political compliance by threatening revenue streams. And Nike, the NBA, etc. etc. are all falling in line. Even the leader of the player empowerment era, King James himself, fell in line with a series of tweets last night that hung Morey out to dry, even blamed him for making the players uncomfortable while on tour. Virtually nobody's got Morey's back for tweeting support of "freedom and democracy". Enes Kanter maybe the only exception right now, there's a guy willing to speak up regardless of the personal cost.

There's a long history of foreign companies falling in line to these tactics from China, but most of them hadn't positioned themselves to speak out on social issues the way the NBA and its players have. Bit of an "emperor has no clothes" moment like Keon said.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

IMHO
                  You had me until "Celebrities and owners don't have a place in foreign affairs" just because there can be a very real opportunity to do aggregate good - I mean, look at Rodman (har har). This does not seem to be one of these opportunities, for the reason you outlined. There should be space allowed for players to have a voice, but even then this situation is going to be cutting off the nose to spite the face for all the good it will do.

Other people, who don't have such a monumental business relationship, can and should lend their voice, support, and protest.
                  Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Oct 15, 2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• I think some of the things Lebron has said are true.

Talking about how if a player said the same thing, what would happen to them? Or that Morey should have waited a bit to send the tweet out (that is just common sense in general).

But I agree with the rest of you about how little these guys are talking about social issues regarding China.

If their silence is because their lack of knowledge on the subject; it's one thing. But I assume it's, what we are all assuming, that it will take a bite out of their pay cheques.

This is a country that has in it's policy that if you are not part of the country's governing party, that you are not a citizen. Do you think a country like that would like a tweet going against the party's line? Of course not.

This is a global super power, that we have essentially let a sleeping dog lie to do business with (business in general) But when things upset them, (A Morey tweet, a trade war, a Huawei scandal) don't be surprised that they flex their muscles and make us eat our words.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Ah damnit, dust in my eye again
                      Stop being so dramatic.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Stop being so dramatic.
                        Uncle Joey asked me to take it easy on you from now on. Please don't poke the bear

Comment

• I hate politics in sports, but is everyone in the world this naive? We are talking MULTI-BILLION dollars here. People in USA (and canada) murder people for a couple bucks.

Also lets look at this psychologically - Lebron James goes to China and is loved and revered. He grew up in the USA where african americans had to struggle and face much struggle. Why the fuck would Lebron support Hong Kong and not speak up about the problems of USA? Hes not being a hypocrite, but I don't think he can sympathize with the people of Hong Kong and go against a country that loves him.

BTW its so easy to talk about human rights. I see everyone is going nuts over China, but they only found out about this last week.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

You had me until "Celebrities and owners don't have a place in foreign affairs" just because there can be a very real opportunity to do aggregate good...
                            I don't disagree with you, but people will put a microphone in a celebrity's face simply because they are a celebrity, not because they have anything thoughtful or worthwhile to say. Some celebrities may have put in a hundred hours examining and debating a situation with experts. And then they would have the expertise of a second year university student studying the same field, with probably less of a grasp of context. So no, I don't think anyone should pay attention to a celebrity with an opinion. Nothing wrong with them having an opinion and using their renown to exert influence. Everyone can attempt that. I just think it's a shame celebrities get a platform more easily than folks who have a more valid understanding of a situation.

Comment

• Truth Teller wrote: View Post
                              BTW its so easy to talk about human rights. I see everyone is going nuts over China, but they only found out about this last week.
                              First off... (with all due respect) wtf are you talking about??

Secondly...

Comment

• Just being uninformed would be one thing. These guys could easily pass on the questions and answer basketball questions. I'd have no issue with that. But the number of people who have spoken out, not off the cuff but with time to think about it, and essentially sided with the Chinese government (aka the money)...it is a bit surprising. I thought there'd be more Kanters.

Comment

Working...
                                X