Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    The fact someone so ardently supporting Casey is only willing to hire him to a 2 year deal shows how little faith you actually have in him. Must just be fear of change. I'd so much rather take a shot on someone like Brad Stevens and maybe get the next Popovich. If you really believed in Casey you'd want him for 4+ years. Luckily Masai is not interested in treading water around the middle of the Eastern conference, and I expect a long term deal to whichever coach he decides on.
    And what will you do if he re-signs Casey to a 4+ year deal? Lose your shit and pretend you know better than Masai?

*And comparing to Brad Stevens is poor form. Boston is rebuilding and going to suck for another year or two at least. He will only be judged on the last half of his deal.

Most coaches get deals around 3 years. It does not imply anything more than requiring them to consistently meet expectations of some kind.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      The converse is you could fire Casey, hire the wrong guy to a 4-6 year deal, and be in an even worse situation. Ferry got it right...because Budenholzer (who's been a head coaching target for years) finally decided to leave Pop's shadow. I think you overestimate how easy it would be to replace him and get better results. I get it, you hate him...that does not make him the worst coach ever or easily replaceable.
      Hyperbole much? I never said I hated him, or he was the worst coach ever, or anything even close to that. The guys fucking contract is up and I don't want to rehire him due to his real world results as coach of the Raptors. If Atlanta can get a superior coach to come to their franchise, then I have all the faith in the world that Masai and Leiweke can get a superior coach to come to Toronto.

Comment

And what will you do if he re-signs Casey to a 4+ year deal? Lose your shit and pretend you know better than Masai?
        I'll eat a fridge full of crow and assume Masai sees something I don't (or Casey has taken his family hostage). I have so much faith in Masai and think he is so intelligent I see zero chance Casey is back unless we beat Miami.

Comment

The most probable scenario would be to keep Casey through next year (maybe give him 2 year contract).. figure out where the team is at after 20 games then re-access. MU can't rock the boat. If his intention is to bring back Lowry than I think it will be a lot more difficult if he's going to be playing for a new coach. Lowry has a relationship with Casey one that I think is a good one.

Casey is not the perfect coach.. but the Raptors aren't contenders yet either. If they get to that next level than I hope they explore other coaching options... but we're still early in that process. MU has 4 more years left on his contract too.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            The most probable scenario would be to keep Casey through next year (maybe give him 2 year contract).. figure out where the team is at after 20 games then re-access. MU can't rock the boat. If his intention is to bring back Lowry than I think it will be a lot more difficult if he's going to be playing for a new coach. Lowry has a relationship with Casey one that I think is a good one.

Casey is not the perfect coach.. but the Raptors aren't contenders yet either. If they get to that next level than I hope they explore other coaching options... but we're still early in that process. MU has 4 more years left on his contract too.
            What is all this BS about waiting until we're contenders before hiring a new coach? The new coach is supposed to make us contenders, not the other way around.

Lowry had a super poor relationship with Casey prior to the season, and even openly talked about leaving after the Gay trade. Masai talked him down, and I believe it is Masai who Lowry has a good relationship with. Lowry has also talked very positively about Nurse and what he's done for the offense, so if we went that route I think Lowry would be ecstatic.

Comment

What is all this BS about waiting until we're contenders before hiring a new coach? The new coach is supposed to make us contenders, not the other way around.

Lowry had a super poor relationship with Casey prior to the season, and even openly talked about leaving after the Gay trade. Masai talked him down, and I believe it is Masai who Lowry has a good relationship with. Lowry has also talked very positively about Nurse and what he's done for the offense, so if we went that route I think Lowry would be ecstatic.
              I think what gets them to the next level is when they get a super-star. No need to upgrade the coach until we get one.

As for Lowry's relationship with Casey you could be right but you could also be wrong.. and if you are wrong would you risk losing Lowry just to upgrade the coach?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I think what gets them to the next level is when they get a super-star. No need to upgrade the coach until we get one.

As for Lowry's relationship with Casey you could be right but you could also be wrong.. and if you are wrong would you risk losing Lowry just to upgrade the coach?
                Don't you think upgrading the coach is essential to attracting a superstar? Because I do.

Masai will know how Lowry feels, and if Casey gets rehired because Lowry loves him, so be it. I think keeping Lowry trumps losing Casey in importance to the franchise.

Comment

Nope. Talent makes you a contender. The great coach makes a contender a champion. A great coach without the talent doesn't suddenly turn a team into a contender.

Comment

Nope. Talent makes you a contender. The great coach makes a contender a champion. A great coach without the talent doesn't suddenly turn a team into a contender.
                    No, but they make them noticeably better (e.g. Budenholzer). Talent will want to go play for that Atlanta team, talent that didn't want to a year ago under Drew, that's why you replace the coach before you have the talent to win it all. A great coach will be attractive to great players.

Comment

If we hire Jeff Van Gundy or similar coach Kevin Durant would be more likely to sign than with Casey.With a good coach DD,Ross and JV would develop enough so that Durant isnt needed. With Casey I would trust him with Vince Carter if we signed him fearing that VC becomes Gay, Salmons or Anderson. Casey has made some good players look really bad.

Comment

Although I hate the way Casey coaches, Im sure he's gonna be back next year unless a superior coach wants to come to TO!
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          The disrespect is ridiculous. But whatever, pretty sure(99% sure) Masai will bring Casey back next year. And i think bringing him back is the right move.

Reading this forum the last few months, i have an idea why Raptors fans here hate Casey. But the problem w/ some people here is, they always talk about the bad things than the good things. Casey has done more good things to this team than bad.

Comment

Casey's results from coaching seem entirely dependent on the players he has available. You can see this in the differences in the team from year 1 to 2 to 3.

Year 1. We had some more defensively capable players. We had a good defense. No offense even though we had Jose+Bargnani

Year 2. Lost JJ+Bayless. Casey didn't play Lowry. JV was bad defensively. Ross wasn't used. Terrible defensively. Terrible offensively

Year 3. Lost Jose+Gay+Bargnani. Gained assistant coaches. Top ten D and O.

Coincidence I think not. He is a good coach that will be able to win with good players, but will never be a coach that raises players above themselves.

I would rather hire a new coach (I like Nurse, but open to others) that could potentially do more for the team, than stick with the current coach because of 1 season of success that is in spite of him.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Casey's results from coaching seem entirely dependent on the players he has available. You can see this in the differences in the team from year 1 to 2 to 3.

Year 1. We had some more defensively capable players. We had a good defense. No offense even though we had Jose+Bargnani

Year 2. Lost JJ+Bayless. Casey didn't play Lowry. JV was bad defensively. Ross wasn't used. Terrible defensively. Terrible offensively

Year 3. Lost Jose+Gay+Bargnani. Gained assistant coaches. Top ten D and O.

Coincidence I think not. He is a good coach that will be able to win with good players, but will never be a coach that raises players above themselves.

I would rather hire a new coach (I like Nurse, but open to others) that could potentially do more for the team, than stick with the current coach because of 1 season of success that is in spite of him.
                              Let me coach this team

My philosophy would be to feed JV in the post if you don't comply were gonna take you out back !

Also JV hit the gym! Because you're gonna by playing 45MPG!

Any long 2's from DD and he will be shot on site!

If Ross does not dunk on the opposing teams biggest player were not gonna let him on the plane to comeback home!

If John Salmonella ask's me why he's not playing......... Were gonna put him in a box and send him to Siberia!

Also Amir No god damn Summer 3's or you'll go back to Detroit and can play with Smith&Jennings

Lowry? Just keep Lowry'ing

Psycho T? You're job is to get ejected withing 2 mins upon entering the game!

Comment

If the plan is to hire Casey to a short term contract what's the point. Either hire someone long term or give some else a two year deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X