Memories of alt.sports.basketball.nba.tor-raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of alt.sports.basketball.nba.tor-raptors

I wasn't sporty, nor even really a sports fan, but then Toronto got a team with a silly name from a dinosaur movie, so I joined the Usenet group alt.sports.basketball.nba.tor-raptors

It was there that I got into basketball, learned about stats and for a over decade I felt part of a wacky community of fans, trolls and nerds, some of them, like Scott (was AltRaps here, a name inspired by the old group) and ebrian ended up here, I was against it, trying to keep Usenet alive, I resented the move to a private, centralized web, but as Usenet faded away, I reluctantly followed them here, where I've been following now for over another decade.

Now, the Raptors are the NBA champions. Holy shit. Unbelievable, and I'm thinking back to those early days and hope every fan, nerd and troll from back in our newsgroup is enjoying this moment.

Damn you an OG
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I was at basketballboards.net - can't remember when I started, maybe '98 - anyone else?
      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Jun 14, 2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Some the usenet crew set up there own blog and forum, which I was strongly against. It didn't really take off, so they ended up here, where Arsenalist and RapsFan had some momentum.

Scott, a season ticket holder, used to do something called "Scott's Shots" which I guess is the precursor to the "Quick Reaction" feature here, though it didnt use grades as such, just notes that typically mentioned every player. Scott aka AltRaps, also started the Morning Coffee thing here IIRC.

Ed, from the old group got super into stats, and at one point had a website called "Stats Pimp," he ended up working for the Rockets stats department, and so left us behind, and the "Stats Pimp" site quickly vanished.

One of my favourite trolls there was MayorTommy, he was not like a modern moronic troll, and was actually pretty funny and sometimes even genuine, his love of Gabrajosa was real.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
          I wasn't sporty, nor even really a sports fan, but then Toronto got a team with a silly name from a dinosaur movie, so I joined the Usenet group alt.sports.basketball.nba.tor-raptors

It was there that I got into basketball, learned about stats and for a over decade I felt part of a wacky community of fans, trolls and nerds, some of them, like Scott (was AltRaps here, a name inspired by the old group) and ebrian ended up here, I was against it, trying to keep Usenet alive, I resented the move to a private, centralized web, but as Usenet faded away, I reluctantly followed them here, where I've been following now for over another decade.

Now, the Raptors are the NBA champions. Holy shit. Unbelievable, and I'm thinking back to those early days and hope every fan, nerd and troll from back in our newsgroup is enjoying this moment.
          Yeah, I was real happy to find altraps. I was a lonely Raptor fan in Peterborough and craved the chance to talk hoops with other fans. I eventually got a chance to meet a bunch of the guys. A contingent from Peterborough travelled to the ACC when the Raptors had the #1 draft pick and we got to see them pick Bargs. Had a chance to meet Ed, ebrian and Scott as well as a couple of Peterborough members. Fond memories, but hot damn...this is better. All respect to the early online fan efforts, 'cause that is what evolved into sites like this. Good memories Quirk.

Comment

Hey Puffer! Wonder who else is here from the old newsgroup.

I only met Ed in real person, by the time those others started meeting up, I had already left Toronto.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these webBB stye forums, preferred Usenet, but as far a community goes, there is no doubt that RR is the best fan community in the world, in any sport, and that the blog is the best sports journalism that there is, far better than the actual media.

Comment

I only met Ed in real person, by the time those others started meeting up, I had already left Toronto.

Personally, I'm not a fan of these webBB stye forums, preferred Usenet, but as far a community goes, there is no doubt that RR is the best fan community in the world, in any sport, and that the blog is the best sports journalism that there is, far better than the actual media.
              I would tend to agree. The only place consistently as good in my mind is The Athletic.

Comment

I was a solitary Raptor fan in Peterborough who longed for the opportunity to converse with other basketball enthusiasts. I was ultimately able to meet a number of the guys.

Comment

I still miss the usenet group, the recent technical difficulties only reinforce the fragility of depending on a centralized platform

Comment

Anyone here used to post on basketballboards.net?

Comment

I only met Ed in real person, by the time those others started meeting up, I had already left Toronto space bar clicker

I suppose I would agree. The Athletic is, in my opinion, the only place that is constantly excellent.

Comment

Working...
                      X