This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and Answers.

Thought I would start something similar to Yahoo! questions.

Often times as we are arm chair GMing, Coaching etc... we run across questions that are sometimes difficult to locate answers to.

So I thought I'd make this a sticky thread for a few weeks...see if it catches on or not and go from there. This is more of a clarification thread then a discussion thread

I'd appreciate it if we could stick to the following format:

Hey what does it mean when someone is called a designated player?
    A: Designated Player
    "Each team in the NBA can nominate a rookie player to receive a "Designated Player" contract extension. A Designated Player is eligible for a 5 year contract extension, instead of being held to the standard 4 year restriction.[6] A team can only allocate a single Designated Player contract at any one time (if a team has already extended a rookie contract by using the Designated Player extension they cannot create a second Designated Player contract until the current contract expires, or until the player moves to a different team); however the CBA rules do allow teams to sign a second Designated Player from another team in addition to the one they already have. All teams are limited to having a maximum of two Designated Players contracted on their roster at any time (one which they have created from one of their own rookie contracts, and one which they have acquired from another team)."
    SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designa...ignated_Player

I will likely delete answers without a source, or if I can find a source, I will edit the post to include it
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

What is the longest amount of time I can extend a rookie for?
    Rookie scale contract extensions:

Rookie scale contracts may be extended for up to four seasons beyond the last option season in the contract, bringing the total contract length to five seasons. Teams can also select one player (called their "Designated Player") who can receive a five-year extension, bringing the total contract length to six seasons. A team can have at most one player on its roster whom they have designated for a longer extension, plus at most one player designated by another team whom they acquired in trade.

For example, the Oklahoma City Thunder extended Russell Westbrook's rookie scale contract in 2011 (with the extension taking effect in 2012-13). They selected Westbrook as their Designated Player and extended him through 2016-17 (five new years, six total). The Thunder therefore are not allowed to designate another player for a five-year extension (Kevin Durant signed his five-year extension under the 2005 CBA) until 2017, as long as Westbrook is on their roster. However, they can trade for one (and only one) player who was designated by another team.
    SOURCE:http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Pulled from a McHappy Post

DanH wrote:
    It should be noted that a) you are not extending a rookie, you are extending a 4th year player who is still on their rookie scale contract and b) that said extension must occur before the player's 4th season starts, or the player heads to restricted free agency instead.
    Last edited by thead; Wed May 7, 2014, 11:38 AM. Reason: additional information
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote:
      Hey, there has a been quite a bit of talk about the cap, and apparently the NBA has a "soft" cap, so there are exceptions to go over, what are they exactly?
      Salary Cap Exceptions

There are quite a few ways NBA teams can exceed the salary cap, but most of them have to do with signing free agents. Some of the most common exceptions include:
      The "Larry Bird" exception, which allows teams to exceed the cap to re-sign their own players
      The "Mid-Level" exception, allowing teams to exceed the cap in the amount of the NBA's average player salary for that year. The mid-level exception can be given to one player or split between several.
      The rookie exception, which allows teams to sign their draft picks even if doing so would exceed the salary cap.
      The minimum-salary exception, which allows teams to sign players to two-year contracts at the league minimum salary even when over the cap.
      The owners' initial proposals for a new collective bargaining agreement reportedly eliminate all of these exceptions in favor of a "hard" salary cap that cannot be exceeded for any reason. The National Hockey League employs a hard cap, as did the National Football League, until their collective bargaining agreement lapsed.
      http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-c...g/soft-cap.htm

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote:
        Thanks, for clarifying, I've heard of Bird rights, we have them on some of our guys, right?
        Yes

Also, we can sign as many 2 year minimums as we like, as long as MLSE can pay?
        Yes

Also, we can max out and still sign our draft picks?
        Yes

DanH wrote:
        We have Bird Rights for Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson and de Colo. So we can re-sign them without cap space. We can sign any number of two year minimums we like, but the maximum roster size is 15, so probably just one or two. Yes, you can sign your draft picks, even if you are over the cap.
        Source:http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Comment

feel free to keep asking questions. I will only delete them once I have the questions and answers formatted. I will always credit the questioner as well as the person who takes the time to answer

Comment

stooley wrote:
            Can someone wise break down our cap situation for the summer of 2014 please?

I know it's been done, but it would be nice to have it somewhere for easy reference.
            2014-15:

DeMar DeRozan $9,500,000
            John Salmons $7,000,000 (1 M guar until June 30th)
            Amir Johnson $7,000,000 (5 M guar)
            Landry Fields $6,250,000
            Chuck Hayes $5,958,750
            Steve Novak $3,445,947
            Jonas Valanciunas $3,678,360
            Tyler Hansbrough $3,326,235 (1 M guaranteed until June 29th)
            Terrence Ross $2,793,960
            Julyan Stone $948,163 (unguaranteed until 7th July)
            Dwight Buycks $816,482 (unguaranteed until 22nd July)
            Marcus Camby $646,609 (buyout)

Kyle Lowry $9,315,000 (cap hold)
            Patrick Patterson $7,763,253 (cap hold; $4,319,474 QO)
            Greivis Vasquez $5,375,470 (cap hold; $3,203,780 QO)
            Nando de Colo $1,901,900 (cap hold; $1,828,750 QO)

20th pick $1,215,300 (cap hold)

Above roster, with all free agents released and TH, Stone, Salmons and Buycks waived: $44,518,270

With all cap holds, no waived players well over cap (76M range).

Estimated:
            Cap: 63.2 M (as high as 62.9 by recent estimates)
            Tax: 77.0 M
            Apron/Hard Cap: 81.0 M

http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...es/raptors.jsp
            Last edited by thead; Fri May 9, 2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: added link
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

caccia wrote:
              When are teams allowed to resume trading? It has to be by 26 June 2014, the day of the draft.
              Any team not currently playing (ie eliminated from the playoffs) can trade with any other team currently not playing. Any team not eliminated yet cannot trade. Once the playoffs are over, everyone can trade with each other up until end of day June 30th. At which point all player movement is frozen until July 10th (this year, some years it's the 9th, 11th or 12th).

Source: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm (see questions 103, 102 and 99)
              Last edited by thead; Fri May 9, 2014, 12:11 PM. Reason: added link
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

How likely is it that a team that is "tanking" will actually improve their standings in subsequent years?

The answer, and more, right here.

Comment

Jamshid wrote:
                  1) Who are the FAs that MU signed in Denver and what were their contracts?

2) Who did he drafted , 1st and 2nd round ?
                  http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2014/...se-continuity/

see here.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote:
                    Under what circumstances is a team allowed to sign players over the cap?
                    A team can sign their own free agents if they are over the cap. This is done via the players' Bird Rights.

They can also use exceptions to sign players not on their team. Depending on the team's total salary, teams will have different exceptions to use. Such as the mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception.

They can also orchestrate a sign-and-trade, but then they have to meet trade rules (such as accepting only 125% of the outgoing salary in the trade, depending on total team salary).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

stooley wrote:
                    Generally exceptions such as the bi-annual, and mid-level are for smaller salaries as well. The mid-level ranges from 2.5M to 5.15M for teams over the cap and the bi-annual must start at 1.672M.
                    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

DanH wrote:
                    Mid-Level this summer: starts at 5.305M with 4.5% raises for 4 years for non-tax-payers (specifically teams below the apron).
                    Mid-Level this summer: starts at 3.278M with 4.5% raises for 3 years for tax-payers.
                    Mid-Level this summer: starts at 2.732M with 4.5% raises for 2 years for teams that use cap room to sign players.
                    Bi-Annual this summer: starts at 2.077M with 4.5% raises for 2 years for non-tax-payers.
                    Last edited by thead; Fri May 16, 2014, 12:06 PM.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Is the amount we pay our draft picks according to the slot?

And is it non-negotiable how much we pay them?
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                        Is the amount we pay our draft picks according to the slot?

And is it non-negotiable how much we pay them?
                        It is according to slot. But you can pay between 80-120% of the slot amount. Mind you, everyone pays the 120% - players and agents find it insulting to be offered any less. MEM got into a bit of a PR mess a couple years ago when they tried to only pay the 100%.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          It is according to slot. But you can pay between 80-120% of the slot amount. Mind you, everyone pays the 120% - players and agents find it insulting to be offered any less. MEM got into a bit of a PR mess a couple years ago when they tried to only pay the 100%.
                          Lol, who did they try that on?

And what is the amount for the 20 slot?
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Xavier Henry if I remember correctly.

Comment

And what is the amount for the 20 slot?
                              Yes, Xavier Henry and Vasquez actually. Eventually they dropped the conditions, have the full 120%, and both signed in September.

1.2 million is the 20 slot nominal amount.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                              X