X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rocwell
    replied
    Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    "His rim protection, too, is lacking: His defended field goal percentage is 62.7 per cent, significantly worse than Valanciunas’ at 57.1 per cent."

what is the significance to this stat, and why is it better to have a lower number?

appreciate the clarity
    del danh posted

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    "His rim protection, too, is lacking: His defended field goal percentage is 62.7 per cent, significantly worse than Valanciunas’ at 57.1 per cent."

what is the significance to this stat, and why is it better to have a lower number?

appreciate the clarity
    Yeah, it's the FG% on shots defended by that player. It's not really significant though, there's a crazy amount of noise in it.

There was a study done and basically it yielded that there was some very limited predictive value in at-the-rim DFG%, and for any shots outside of 3 feet of the rim, it's predominantly noise. It's a descriptive stat that tells you how well guys have shot over somebody, but really tells you very little about how well they've defended, with the usual very few exceptions at the extremes of the data-set (ie guys who stop everything tend to be very good, guys who stop nothing tend to be very bad, everyone in the middle tends to be largely indistinguishable).

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied

appreciate the clarity

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    rocwell wrote: View Post
    Yup there's something wrong with the website.
    Chaos. Calamity.

Fix it! Oh for the love of all things Raptor-related. Fix it!

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied
    is there something wrong with the website or is it just me? all other websites work fine for me, any idea when the forums will be running smoothly again?
    Yup there's something wrong with the website.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    is there something wrong with the website or is it just me? all other websites work fine for me, any idea when the forums will be running smoothly again?

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Not sure where to ask this question, but could a box score be added to the after game quick reactions on the main page? Seems silly that this information isn't available without having to go to another site.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Very curious whether, if Lowry walks, Nando would want to come be a starting PG for the league average. Anyone know his buyout situation?
    No idea. There was no mention of an NBA buyout when he signed his three year deal a year ago.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Very curious whether, if Lowry walks, Nando would want to come be a starting PG for the league average. Anyone know his buyout situation?

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Defenders are not allowed to be in the paint for more than three seconds if they are not within arms' reach of an opposing player. So JV could sit in the paint all day so long as he is credibly defending an opponent for at least a split-second in each 3 second block (ie if he never goes three straight seconds both in the paint and not defending an opponent).

Offensive three in the key is independent of opponents - can only be in there 2.9 seconds without clearing the paint.
    thank you.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    is the 3 second rule completely arbitrary? this is my first year with league pass and i have a buddy who is trying to learn the game, so why whistles happen is a question that comes up. in the raps/lakers game at the 6:22 mark of the first quarter jv goes into the paint and stays there for 22 seconds. if someone could explain why he doesn't get called, i would appreciate it. it is a hassle question, so sorry about that.
    Defenders are not allowed to be in the paint for more than three seconds if they are not within arms' reach of an opposing player. So JV could sit in the paint all day so long as he is credibly defending an opponent for at least a split-second in each 3 second block (ie if he never goes three straight seconds both in the paint and not defending an opponent).

Offensive three in the key is independent of opponents - can only be in there 2.9 seconds without clearing the paint.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied
    is the 3 second rule completely arbitrary? this is my first year with league pass and i have a buddy who is trying to learn the game, so why whistles happen is a question that comes up. in the raps/lakers game at the 6:22 mark of the first quarter jv goes into the paint and stays there for 22 seconds. if someone could explain why he doesn't get called, i would appreciate it. it is a hassle question, so sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    It's happening to everyone. There is a whole thread in the site suggestions forum. RR Twitter tweeted out that they are working on it.
    Thanks for the update

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Why am I suddenly getting all sorts of pop up pages from this site? It happens when I click on a thread, when I try to post. It's happening on an iPad. Is this happening to anyone else or just me?
    It's happening to everyone. There is a whole thread in the site suggestions forum. RR Twitter tweeted out that they are working on it.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Why am I suddenly getting all sorts of pop up pages from this site? It happens when I click on a thread, when I try to post. It's happening on an iPad. Is this happening to anyone else or just me?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X