Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does a first rounder account for in a trade?

And does it change if it's set what number the pick will be?

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      How much does a first rounder account for in a trade?

And does it change if it's set what number the pick will be?
      Nevermind just looked it up

Comment

If a guy like Thaddeus Young or Arron Afflalo opt out of their final year does a team still have bird rights or is that person completely unrestricted. Just day dreaming about the off-season and wondered

i.e could a guy opt out but still be signed and traded
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Are we alone in the universe?
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            Are we alone in the universe?
            no

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              If a guy like Thaddeus Young or Arron Afflalo opt out of their final year does a team still have bird rights or is that person completely unrestricted. Just day dreaming about the off-season and wondered

Once Bird rights are established, they don't go away unless the player is renounced or signs with another NBA team. This means teams retain Bird rights to many players who have long since retired, and could still use those Bird rights to re-sign such a player if that player attempts a comeback (but not for a sign-and-trade transaction).
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

First, Bird Rights have nothing to do with being restricted or unrestricted. A player can be restricted and have Bird Rights or not have Bird Rights. And a player can be unrestricted and have Bird Rights or not have Bird Rights.

As for whether a player can opt out and still have Bird Rights - it depends. If they have not changed teams via free agency for 3 years, they would have their Bird Rights (it's a little more complicated than that but that's the idea). So, for example, if a player signed with a new team for a 4 year deal with the final year being a player option, if they opt out they still have Bird Rights. If the player signs with a new team for a three year deal with the third year a player option, then if they opt out they would not have Bird Rights (since they changed teams in free agency only two years ago), while if they opted in, they would have Bird Rights the following summer.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Once Bird rights are established, they don't go away unless the player is renounced or signs with another NBA team. This means teams retain Bird rights to many players who have long since retired, and could still use those Bird rights to re-sign such a player if that player attempts a comeback (but not for a sign-and-trade transaction).
                  This is true but I don't think that's what he was asking.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    This is true but I don't think that's what he was asking.
                    Disagree. Question was about bird rights and if they are affected by "opting out". My post makes it pretty clear the only ways for bird rights to be lost is by renouncing them or player signs with new team.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Disagree. Question was about bird rights and if they are affected by "opting out". My post makes it pretty clear the only ways for bird rights to be lost is by renouncing them or player signs with new team.
                      Yeah but you don't always have Bird Rights, you have to earn them.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        Yeah but you don't always have Bird Rights, you have to earn them.
                        And in the case of Thad and Afflalo, both teams have the bird rights by acquiring the players via trade on contracts that exceed 2 years, so the "how to acquire" point is fairly irrelevant to the question at hand.

Unless the Nets or Blazers renounce their rights, the bird rights stay in place until either player signs with a new team. S&T, UFA, etc are all unaffected by this.

Comment

And in the case of Thad and Afflalo, both teams have the bird rights by acquiring the players via trade on contracts that exceed 2 years, so the "how to acquire" point is fairly irrelevant to the question at hand.

Unless the Nets or Blazers renounce their rights, the bird rights stay in place until either player signs with a new team. S&T, UFA, etc are all unaffected by this.
                          Sure, for those specific examples. I thought his question was more general due to the wording "a guy like" but sure.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Maybe wrong thread, but everyone who cares about the NBA got to read this article..

It's really good.

http://deadspin.com/the-nbas-next-la...ere-1703832294

Comment

So I 80% get it.

Can Arron Afflalo opt out - sign a new deal with Portland and then be traded immeadiately?
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

So I 80% get it.

Can Arron Afflalo opt out - sign a new deal with Portland and then be traded immeadiately?
                                He can either be sign and traded, or he can be signed and then traded the following December (unless he gets a huge raise, in which case he has to wait until January, but that seems unlikely).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X