Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Just heard butch carter on tim&sid. He mentioned (and he's not the first) that the raps need a "shot blocker". This seems to be a common idea. But then what is our 7ft (ish) Lithuanian for? I understand he didn't excel at it this year but isn't that part of his development? Are people imaging more of a 4 that can block shots? Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
    JV has physical attributes to be a shot blocker (7'4" wingspan) but he lacks timing and anticipation. Part of that comes with experience.

Actual shots blocked doesn't concern me though. Opponent field goal percentage at the rim (0-3') is a much bigger concern. I believe Amir is one of the best in the league. JV became much better at jumping straight up as year went along. A forced missed shot is just as good as a blocked shot in my books - probably better actually because the odds favour gaining possession of the ball.

I do understand the point of the shot blocker though - lane intimidation is certainly not a Raptor strong suit right now... not with Chuck Hayes manning the C spot in the 4th Q at least.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Realistic Expectations:

1. See these guys brought back....

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
      SG: DeRozan
      SF: Ross
      PF: Amir, Patterson
      C: JV

..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).

2. Live with reality likely stuck with Novak, Hayes, and Fields - with Novak having highest trade value. Hayes and Fields, no biggie as they expire in 2015, but trading Novak would be a plus.

3. See MLSE pony up to acquire long term assets. There are no free agent prizes on Raptors horizon this summer. Use team option salaries of Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks, and Stone to stock the cupboards with players on rookie deals, 2014 draft picks, or future draft picks in exchange for some nasty contracts that expire in 2014-15 (Lin, Asik, Boozer, most of the Sacramento Kings, etc.).

Predictions:

1. Raptors add another first round draft pick in 2014.

2. None of 'the core' are traded. We are officially on the Indiana Pacers road to glory - minus the headcases and drama.

3. Al-Farouq Aminu is signed via free agency.

4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.

Dream Acquisition:

1. Building towards Kevin Durant in 2016.

2. If Durant fails, enough flexibility to be able to offer a maximum contract (only to a deserving player, of course) and enough assets to trade for one (here is to awful 2016 seasons for the Nuggets and Knicks!).

Nothing drastic above because, unless Masai has truly pulled the wool over my eyes, I don't expect anything drastic. Everyone is happy to hold hands and sing, "Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this franchise grow." That might not be a bad plan considering the last 20 years.

What you posted is the minimal thing that he needs to do VERY EASILY ... That is what an average GM in this league should be able to do and if does not even achieve this, then the summer was a failure for him.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
        What you posted is the minimal thing that he needs to do VERY EASILY ... That is what an average GM in this league should be able to do and if does not even achieve this, then the summer was a failure for him.
        I'm not sure why you believe this is easy.

- Signing Lowry, GV and Patterson under $18M collectively is difficult especially since KL played like an all-star and will be one of the most desirable free agents
        - Potentially going into luxury to swing trades for Salmons/Novak/Hansborogh to get richer contracts but additional prospects/picks (especially when picks/prospects are valued highly and many teams have cap space already) and ensuring those contracts run out in 2015
        - Signing Aminu who is liked in NO and could use his skill-set just as easily as Toronto could
        - Getting an extra first round pick.

I'd be very happy if that happened.. and that's not easy in my opinion.

Signing mediocre players to big contracts - now that's easy.

Comment

..... with Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez all brought back on fair contracts and preferably front loaded (no more than $18M on average for all 3).
          That's going to be really tough. I see Lowry @ 11-12M, 2Pat @ 4-5M, GV @ 3-4M. 18M is the low estimate. 23M is the overpay

4. Nobody over 25 is brought in by Masai for next season.
          Is Casey on board with this?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Is Casey on board with this?
            Casey: nobody under 35 is brought in for next season.

He is actually the mastermind behind bringing back VC.

Comment

Al Farouq Aminu will be a good signings, he is a real size SF (6'9), He is still young (turns 24), he is a good defender and he is also a Nigerian like Masai so hopefully it will be a slam dunk.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Casey: nobody under 35 is brought in for next season.

He is actually the mastermind behind bringing back VC.
                Casey' ultimate lineup

Derek Fisher
                Andre Miller
                Rasual Butler
                Jermaine O'Neal
                Jamaal Magloire
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  Casey' ultimate lineup

Derek Fisher
                  Andre Miller
                  Rasual Butler
                  Jermaine O'Neal
                  Jamaal Magloire
                  Honestly, that's a pretty dirty lineup I would love to have that as my starting lineup...10 years ago.

But seriously, ima call it right now. Greivas Vasquez is coming back next year. He is always saying how he loves Toronto and he is still here, I think he brought his fam here so more of his greasy big balls next year!
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                    Casey' ultimate lineup

Derek Fisher
                    Andre Miller
                    Rasual Butler
                    Jermaine O'Neal
                    Jamaal Magloire
                    With Steve Nash as the sixth man and Kenyon Martin first big man off the bench.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Al Farouq Aminu will be a good signings, he is a real size SF (6'9), He is still young (turns 24), he is a good defender and he is also a Nigerian like Masai so hopefully it will be a slam dunk.
                      Is he a RFA or just a FA this summer ?

Comment

jamshid wrote: View Post
                        is he a rfa or just a fa this summer ?
                        ufa.

Comment

Aminu appears to be an unrestricted free agent...I don't know how that happened though.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Aminu appears to be an unrestricted free agent...I don't know how that happened though.
                            http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...-aminus-value/

At the start of the 2012-13 NBA season, the Hornets declined Al-Farouq Aminu’s 2013-14 player option worth about $3.7 million, making him an unrestricted free agent this summer. At the time, opinions were split on whether or not doing so was a good idea, but neither side appeared to be terribly distraught or excited then the team reached its decision. Since then, his play has improved enough that if the Hornets could go back in time, they very well might have picked up that option.
                            After reading that blog about Aminu, I have sort of cooled about the idea of acquiring him because there is a chance you can grab someone cheaper and just as effective from the draft.
                            Last edited by Hotshot; Thu May 8, 2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

the draft will be crucial, we need a to find a diamond in the rough at #20.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                                the draft will be crucial, we need a to find a diamond in the rough at #20.
                                I would trade #20+#37 to move up to top 15

Comment

Working...
                                X