Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Realistic Expectations / Predictions / probably devolve dream acquisitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd sort of rather have a solid Livingston/Vince SF at this point than resigning Vazquez. Ross is solid when he plays solid, but he has stretches of games where he simply disappears. That was probably the major thing that killed the Raptors this year, is that they were forced to rely on Salmons at small forward when Ross was not playing well enough to get starters type minutes.

I hope Ross is better next year, but I'd be much more comfortable if we had another proven small forward that could pick up those minutes if required.

On the other hand, I think Nando could do what Vazquez did for us, though less effectively. But the dropoff wouldn't be nearly as much as Livingston to Salmons if it has to be one or the other.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

I think the ceiling for Vasquez is quite obvious. He'll never be fast enough to guard his position well. And as long as he is taking those weird floaters and transition 3s, he'll be a back-up PG. He's a 'Let's shake things up' bench player.

If we sign him at a reasonable price, great. But if the opportunity comes up to draft and groom a long-term PG prospect, we should take it. Lowry probably has only 3 more years of high-level play.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
        I think the ceiling for Vasquez is quite obvious. He'll never be fast enough to guard his position well. And as long as he is taking those weird floaters and transition 3s, he'll be a back-up PG. He's a 'Let's shake things up' bench player.

If we sign him at a reasonable price, great. But if the opportunity comes up to draft and groom a long-term PG prospect, we should take it. Lowry probably has only 3 more years of high-level play.
        Well I think he filled that 'lets shake things up' role this year because that's what we needed him to do. He showed he was also plenty capable of playing pass first in NO.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

It's not that I don't like Vazquez. I think he did a great job for what he was asked. It's just that Lowry and Derozan are each going to play 35 minutes a game, so the backup guard position is not as important as the backup forward position, where there aren't going to be the same minutes from the starters.

Vazquez a little overqualified for what the Raptors were asking him to do. If he takes money that suits his role more than his skill level, fine. But I think he's going to want 5M, and I don't think we want to pay that to a backup guard on this team when we can pay that to a backup small forward.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
            It's not that I don't like Vazquez. I think he did a great job for what he was asked. It's just that Lowry and Derozan are each going to play 35 minutes a game, so the backup guard position is not as important as the backup forward position, where there aren't going to be the same minutes from the starters.

Vazquez a little overqualified for what the Raptors were asking him to do. If he takes money that suits his role more than his skill level, fine. But I think he's going to want 5M, and I don't think we want to pay that to a backup guard on this team when we can pay that to a backup small forward.
            hmm interesting. very good points. he just may not be the best bang for our buck in this situation. unfortunate, because i like him. maybe mu signs and trades him the way he did Nene?
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

if you could get Marvin Williams for the same price as GV, are you interested?
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                Absolutely. That would be pretty much perfect.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  I don't know. Maybe. Depends on what happens at the draft, and obviously what that number would be.

Also, my big concern with this offseason is length of deals. GV and 2Pat are role players. I don't like the idea of giving either one a 4 year deal, for example. I like the idea of 2 year deals at most....maybe if you get them cheaper than hoped give them a player option on the 3rd so if they feel like they're being shortchanged they can opt out.

Comment

Lowry probably has only 3 more years of high-level play.
                    This one is subjective, I say we dodged several bullets this season with Lowry not getting injured long terms like he did the previous 2 seasons (playing 68 and 47 games respectively). Lowry plays alot like how Dwayne Wade did before he himself got injured which was all out and its great but it will shorten his window of high level play as a result.

Toronto will need other players to step up when Lowry goes down.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      This one is subjective, I say we dodged several bullets this season with Lowry not getting injured long terms like he did the previous 2 seasons (playing 68 and 47 games respectively). Lowry plays alot like how Dwayne Wade did before he himself got injured which was all out and its great but it will shorten his window of high level play as a result.

Toronto will need other players to step up when Lowry goes down.
                      Yes, I worry about how his play style will age, and he kind of caught a break this year not getting any major injuries. I expect his defense to fade as he loses his athleticism, and point guards just keep getting bigger and stronger.

Comment

Yes, I worry about how his play style will age, and he kind of caught a break this year not getting any major injuries. I expect his defense to fade as he loses his athleticism, and point guards just keep getting bigger and stronger.
                        The Raptors have an ace in the hole as long as McKechnie is on staff. He can't do anything about Lowry's style of play but he can ensure that Lowry follows the best type of off-season work outs and in-season maintenance plan.

Comment

Does no one else think it's possible that 2Pat could develop into a very good starting PF in this league?

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                            Does no one else think it's possible that 2Pat could develop into a very good starting PF in this league?
                            Possible, sure. Not very likely, and not in the next few years. He really needs to develop some post moves, not be afraid to go inside and back his man down, and use his strength a little more effectively.
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                              Possible, sure. Not very likely, and not in the next few years. He really needs to develop some post moves, not be afraid to go inside and back his man down, and use his strength a little more effectively.
                              And continue stretching the floor effectively.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                                And continue stretching the floor effectively.
                                Basically needs to become Kevin Love.
                                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                                X