Everything Sagaba Konate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post

Bruno actually becoming a starter, right on schedule as Masai predicted, was eerie.
    I remember Kendrick Perkins was talking about Raptors and their drafting and he said something like "If a guy is drafted by Raps be on a lookout". Obviously you can't nail every draft pick. But I wonder if it gives those guys extra confidence. Like "damn they see something in me"
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

man he was getting some hate for leaving WV. are college fans this nuts? They realize he's not getting paid?
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

So, we're into the "Let's talk about Sagaba Konate" part of the off-season. lol. Dog days for real. An interesting discussion about him by a couple random guys who don't sound too impressed.

But the greatest thing about this video is the editing.... the background cuts make for a great Raptors hype video for the upcoming season. Just turn off the sound. lol.

Last edited by golden; Wed Aug 14, 2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

science.

Comment

I like that I see very little celebration after a block or dunk in this video. Two-handed blocks and then run back on D.

https://youtu.be/o7zWg-XYHqM

https://youtu.be/BfSwihzbMcU

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                I like that I see very little celebration after a block or dunk in this video. Two-handed blocks and then run back on D.

https://youtu.be/o7zWg-XYHqM

https://youtu.be/BfSwihzbMcU

I hope he makes the roster, at least on the 2-way. In summary, this is what is known about this guy:

--Built like tank (basically Boucher's polar opposite in that regard). He's 6'8" 250lb (used to be 260). For reference OG (who's also an ox), is 6'8" 230lb, and Pascal is 6'9" 230
                --Extra weight hasn't undermined his explosiveness around the rim, goes for dunks and lobs with ease
                --Extremely well developed timing around the rim already. One of the best shot-blockers in college last year (if not the best), but also excellent timing on the offensive end as well
                --Only started playing in 2014, but he's only 22
                --Not afraid to put the ball on the floor and attack a close-out
                --Not afraid to shoot at all, will launch from 3 and midrange with confidence. Shot 81% from the free throw line, and 39% from the college 3pt line, which are healthy indicators of good shooting potential in the NBA.

I hope he has a path similar to Fred and Norm. They went from undrafted/2nd rounder to rotation players after simmering in the 905 for a bit. I think Konate has the tools to that as well.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

I hope he makes the roster, at least on the 2-way. In summary, this is what is known about this guy:

--Built like tank (basically Boucher's polar opposite in that regard). He's 6'8" 250lb (used to be 260). For reference OG (who's also an ox), is 6'8" 230lb, and Pascal is 6'9" 230
                  --Extra weight hasn't undermined his explosiveness around the rim, goes for dunks and lobs with ease
                  --Extremely well developed timing around the rim already. One of the best shot-blockers in college last year (if not the best), but also excellent timing on the offensive end as well
                  --Only started playing in 2014, but he's only 22
                  --Not afraid to put the ball on the floor and attack a close-out
                  --Not afraid to shoot at all, will launch from 3 and midrange with confidence. Shot 81% from the free throw line, and 39% from the college 3pt line, which are healthy indicators of good shooting potential in the NBA.

I hope he has a path similar to Fred and Norm. They went from undrafted/2nd rounder to rotation players after simmering in the 905 for a bit. I think Konate has the tools to that as well.
                  Agree he seems to have the tools. Also looks like a willing and capable passer in the small sample size from the video. Having the timing and speed to block shots is a lot about genetics. Having the good sense to grab the ball instead of simply deflecting it is about Bball IQ. Getting back on D instead of flexing is about understanding priorities (Bball IQ). Taking open shots when they present themselves, and working on your shot when you see teams are going to be giving you the opportunity is about Bball IQ.

There's a lot to like about this guy. And only 22. He could blow up in a good way with the Raptors development staff. Looks like he will be an easy Raptors to cheer for. Here's hoping.

Comment

I was thinking 'dramatically undersized center, shades of Chuck Hayes' and then looked Chuck up and discovered he was only 6'6" tall. Sagaba has 2" on Chuck, so maybe he has a hope!

Sagaba needs to have some good heart-to-heart talks with Kyle Lowry about post defence.

Comment

Great motor, toughness, decent wingspan, good PER, developing shooter,.... Classic Masai 'potential hidden gem' type of player. Feels like another Pascal, tbh, except that he played in one of the toughest conferences in the NCAA. The FT shooting % is encouraging.

Comment

One thing I didn't see in the video was any indication of lateral quickness. He's pretty good in straight lines. At 6-8 he's going to have to defend on the perimeter against some of the most athletic guys in the league, if he wants to nail down a spot on the rotation.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                          I was thinking 'dramatically undersized center, shades of Chuck Hayes' and then looked Chuck up and discovered he was only 6'6" tall. Sagaba has 2" on Chuck, so maybe he has a hope!

Sagaba needs to have some good heart-to-heart talks with Kyle Lowry about post defence.
                          Yeah, Chuck was the shortest center I could ever remember. Other than maybe the other Chuck, Charles Barkley, who would play a lot of center and is 6'5 if he's wearing double soled shoes
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Ben Wallace 2.0

Comment

He's got a pretty decent wing span and standing reach. 7'0 and 8'10.5 feet respectively. So he should easily be able to play center in the NBA.

Combine stats can be found here for last years rookies:
                              https://www.nbadraft.net/2018-nba-dr...e-measurements

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                He's got a pretty decent wing span and standing reach. 7'0 and 8'10.5 feet respectively. So he should easily be able to play center in the NBA.

Combine stats can be found here for last years rookies:
                                https://www.nbadraft.net/2018-nba-dr...e-measurements
                                Yeah he's a PF-C combo, should be able to play both positions with no problem. His body type reminds me of Z-Bo, same weight (~250lbs) , Z-Bo 6'9", Konate 6'8". Z-Bo played most of his career as a PF, but filled in for C often.

Defending NBA centres takes length, but also weight and lower body control, so you can hold your ground without fouling, boxout effectively, and fight for rebounding position better. These are the things keeping Boucher from really being a Centre in the NBA, and where Konate might succeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X