Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demar for draft pick poll - don't freak out, read first

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demar for draft pick poll - don't freak out, read first

    For too long has this forum warred over the value of Demar Derozan. Battle lines have been drawn. Demar haters and Demar fanboys. We shout and shout and never agree and argue against points that noones made and straw man the shit out of each other.

    So here's a simple game - it's just numbers (of draft picks).

    Which is the absolute lowest draft pick in this year's draft that you'd take in exchange for a straight up trade for DD?

    Answer here. Let's see if we're actually that split on this topic or if we're arguing over the tiniest of differences in opinion. Provide any kind of justification in a post.

    Keep in mind - this would entail a rebuild. We'd be shifting our contending window back a couple years, so answer with that in mind (ignoring that it would kinda suck to take a step back for a season or two).

    Also keep in mind - we're talking about the historic 2014 draft, not the average of the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

    EDIT: no salary back - straight up trade - this is a hypothetical scenario.
    83
    #1 draft pick
    21.69%
    18
    #2 draft pick
    8.43%
    7
    #3 draft pick
    19.28%
    16
    #4 draft pick
    10.84%
    9
    #5 draft pick
    21.69%
    18
    #6 draft pick
    3.61%
    3
    #7 draft pick
    7.23%
    6
    #8 draft pick
    2.41%
    2
    #9 draft pick
    1.20%
    1
    #10 draft pick
    3.61%
    3
    Last edited by stooley; Tue May 13, 2014, 02:22 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

  • #2
    Top 10. Top 6 if we have to take salary back.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • #3
      DanH wrote: View Post
      Top 10. Top 6 if we have to take salary back.
      answer in the poll goddamit!
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

      -Superjudge, 7/23

      Hope you're wrong.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not haters and non-haters.

        Haters and fanboys.

        Your bias is showing

        Comment


        • #5
          mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Not haters and non-haters.

          Haters and fanboys.

          Your bias is showing
          Solved!
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

          -Superjudge, 7/23

          Hope you're wrong.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd prefer Detractors and Supporters ...

            Comment


            • #7
              5th Pick

              http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

              It uses a pretty simplistic statistic, but the stat is good for looking at production. Amongst the top 5 picks, they have a 70%, 60%, 85%, 60% and 60% chance (for picks 1-5) of becoming a star player. After that the odds drop off tremendously. I posted another chart that supports this claim as well but I can't seem to find it :/

              That being said this is not a good question. I wouldn't trade DeMar for a draft pick if I was going to until that pick was actually on the board in the draft. In that event I may actually be willing to go lower than #5 if somebody with perceived elite talent falls (like say Wiggins fell to 8 or something crazy). If you're talking about just blindly trading him for a pick, then yeah #5 would be my lowest.

              Comment


              • #8
                #1. And even then I wouldn't be super stoked about it. Trading an existing All-Star who's 24 to take an 19 year-old project is a pretty terrible decision in general.

                If you trade DeMar you're letting Lowry go, and nuking the relationship you've built with your fans. So good luck with not being the Seattle RaptorSonics in 3-5 seasons.
                You can find me on Twitter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Joey wrote: View Post
                  I'd prefer Detractors and Supporters ...
                  hasn't the Demar thread been clear though. There are ONLY haters and fanboys. There is NO middle ground.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

                  -Superjudge, 7/23

                  Hope you're wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    stooley wrote: View Post
                    hasn't the Demar thread been clear though. There are ONLY haters and fanboys. There is NO middle ground.
                    The only middle ground is there is no middle ground.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tortacular wrote: View Post
                      #1. And even then I wouldn't be super stoked about it. Trading an existing All-Star who's 24 to take an 19 year-old project is a pretty terrible decision in general.

                      If you trade DeMar you're letting Lowry go, and nuking the relationship you've built with your fans. So good luck with not being the Seattle RaptorSonics in 3-5 seasons.
                      DD for Wiggins would definitely not nuke the relationship with fans. Quite the opposite most likely.

                      And DD is an all-star, the number 1 in this draft could be a 2 way star and possible NBA 1st team guy....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tortacular wrote: View Post
                        #1. And even then I wouldn't be super stoked about it. Trading an existing All-Star who's 24 to take an 19 year-old project is a pretty terrible decision in general.

                        If you trade DeMar you're letting Lowry go, and nuking the relationship you've built with your fans. So good luck with not being the Seattle RaptorSonics in 3-5 seasons.
                        Yep it's a huge gamble. I mean I don't agree on #1 (I said #5), but I wouldn't just make a blind trade.

                        Basically for me I would not trade DeMar for any pick in this draft unless we're sure of getting Jabari, Embid or Wiggins. That means I wouldn't trade him until draft night. But just looking purely at statistics, #5 is the lowest I'd go.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          DD for Wiggins would definitely not nuke the relationship with fans. Quite the opposite most likely.

                          And DD is an all-star, the number 1 in this draft could be a 2 way star and possible NBA 1st team guy....
                          I think the BULK of this board would probably either support a trade of DD for Wiggins or at least get over it after a while.

                          But that's not really what's being discussed here, because Wiggins is probably going #1 and likely not going lower than #3. I don't think any team is trading a top 3 pick in this draft for DeRozan.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            5th Pick

                            http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

                            It uses a pretty simplistic statistic, but the stat is good for looking at production. Amongst the top 5 picks, they have a 70%, 60%, 85%, 60% and 60% chance (for picks 1-5) of becoming a star player. After that the odds drop off tremendously. I posted another chart that supports this claim as well but I can't seem to find it :/

                            That being said this is not a good question. I wouldn't trade DeMar for a draft pick if I was going to until that pick was actually on the board in the draft. In that event I may actually be willing to go lower than #5 if somebody with perceived elite talent falls (like say Wiggins fell to 8 or something crazy). If you're talking about just blindly trading him for a pick, then yeah #5 would be my lowest.
                            Does the bold mean that the 3rd pick has the highest chances of becoming a star player?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              Does the bold mean that the 3rd pick has the highest chances of becoming a star player?
                              Statistically based on that study, yep

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X