Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Monroe available, good fit for Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We already have AIRMIR as our 4. And he plays D.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Or just get us faried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        Or just get us faried

I'd rather have Josh Smith then Faried (That's how much I like him lol)
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
          I'd rather have Josh Smith then Faried (That's how much I like him lol)
          /shrug serious Greg puts his back to the basket why is our bigs on the 3 point line? We need a POWER forward. The day we get a big that commands double teams is the day I will be happy.

Comment

/shrug serious Greg puts his back to the basket why is our bigs on the 3 point line? We need a POWER forward. The day we get a big that commands double teams is the day I will be happy.

In 2 or 3 years let's hope Jonas can do just that
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
              In 2 or 3 years let's hope Jonas can do just that
              He will but I want the size in the front court

Comment

He will but I want the size in the front court

But but, we have AIRMIR!!!!

Comment

Anyone's lurking Pistons forums? I wonder what's the mood over there.

SVG is a great coach, but first we get a rumor that he'll hire Otis Smith as a GM (yuck), now that he'll let Greg Monroe just walk. I would be stressed if I was a Pistons fan.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    Anyone's lurking Pistons forums? I wonder what's the mood over there.

SVG is a great coach, but first we get a rumor that he'll hire Otis Smith as a GM (yuck), now that he'll let Greg Monroe just walk. I would be stressed if I was a Pistons fan.
                    I don't think we'll need to worry about them any time soon.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I don't think he's a good fit. I think naturally he's more of a C.
                      No, he's definitely a PF, both on offense and defense. He just can't defend C's. Against small-ball fours he'd have some trouble though.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/1...power-forwards

thead wrote: View Post
                      I'd be interested...

How bad is he defensively? Are these correctable things?
                      Really bad.

http://grantland.com/features/josh-s...troit-pistons/

------

On the plus side, Monroe is an EXCELLENT passer for a big man and has some very solid low post moves. If you want to diversify the offense and are unwilling to wait on Val's offense, then Monroe is a good option. That said, Amir has been our true anchor on D a lot of nights and you'd be gambling that Val can provide more rim protection going forward, because Monroe isn't going to do it.

If we are going to try and upgrade the PF spot going into next season, I think we aim for Kevin Love first (assuming we re-sign Lowry). Love offers post scoring, passing, but also outside shooting that will help spacing. It's a risk given his contract situation but Love is a true star.

If Love isn't an option, Monroe is probably the second-best choice among young and possibly available PFs. The problem is that I'm guessing someone (the Lakers, if they don't snag Melo) is going to throw the max or near-max at Monroe, and that is way too much for a one-sided player. At that kind of contract he's going to end up like a Hibbert-max, good on one side of the ball but not the other.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        No, he's definitely a PF, both on offense and defense. He just can't defend C's. Against small-ball fours he'd have some trouble though.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/1...power-forwards

Really bad.

http://grantland.com/features/josh-s...troit-pistons/

------

On the plus side, Monroe is an EXCELLENT passer for a big man and has some very solid low post moves. If you want to diversify the offense and are unwilling to wait on Val's offense, then Monroe is a good option. That said, Amir has been our true anchor on D a lot of nights and you'd be gambling that Val can provide more rim protection going forward, because Monroe isn't going to do it.

If we are going to try and upgrade the PF spot going into next season, I think we aim for Kevin Love first (assuming we re-sign Lowry). Love offers post scoring, passing, but also outside shooting that will help spacing. It's a risk given his contract situation but Love is a true star.

If Love isn't an option, Monroe is probably the second-best choice among young and possibly available PFs. The problem is that I'm guessing someone (the Lakers, if they don't snag Melo) is going to throw the max or near-max at Monroe, and that is way too much for a one-sided player. At that kind of contract he's going to end up like a Hibbert-max, good on one side of the ball but not the other.
                        He can't defend PFs either.

His situation reminds me a lot of Al Jefferson in ways. He's just not capable of playing PF in the league. His offence fits better at C since he prefers to operate in the low-mid post areas. He's not quick enough, or a good enough shooter, and his face up tools aren't nearly as good as his back-to-the-basket tools.

He can't really defend many PFs one on one, and he can't chase the stretch 4s you've got in the league nowadays. Can he defend the C position? Not really, but physically he has better tools to find a niche there. He's tall and long, and shouldn't struggle too badly with strength as he'll probably still fill out some more. He's not much of a rim protector, but you put him at PF full time, and he struggles in more ways than at C.

Think just like Al, he'll have to find a way to thrive as a full-time C (or most of the time) as he's just not cut out for PF over the long haul. And from the perspective of building with him, think it's easier to fill out a roster with a PF to complement him than it would be to find a C who helps him fit at PF full time.

Comment

^^ Agree, I don't see him as a four at ALL. Far too slow and unathletic to defend them. Your comparison to Big Al seems on the money to me.

Comment

His situation reminds me a lot of Al Jefferson in ways. He's just not capable of playing PF in the league. His offence fits better at C since he prefers to operate in the low-mid post areas. He's not quick enough, or a good enough shooter, and his face up tools aren't nearly as good as his back-to-the-basket tools.

He can't really defend many PFs one on one, and he can't chase the stretch 4s you've got in the league nowadays. Can he defend the C position? Not really, but physically he has better tools to find a niche there. He's tall and long, and shouldn't struggle too badly with strength as he'll probably still fill out some more. He's not much of a rim protector, but you put him at PF full time, and he struggles in more ways than at C.

Think just like Al, he'll have to find a way to thrive as a full-time C (or most of the time) as he's just not cut out for PF over the long haul. And from the perspective of building with him, think it's easier to fill out a roster with a PF to complement him than it would be to find a C who helps him fit at PF full time.
                            The comparisons to Jefferson are interesting.

Important to note the impact of teammates and a coach running a solid defensive system.

Charlotte was 4th in points allowed per game and 5th in DefRtg with a respectable 21st pace ranking with Jefferson manning the middle.

To put that in perspective to the Raptors, Raps were 7th in points allowed, 10th in DefRtg, and 23rd in pace.

Comment

I'd pass on Monroe. I thought at the beginning of the season he might be a good choice but I've since changed my mind. Like others, I think he is better suited as a C.

Comment

You may be right. I watched a fair bit of Monroe and he always seemed fairly mobile on offense. Although his game is below the rim he has decent agility. And his face-up game is getting more respectable. He always struck me as a 90s PF... but I guess the league has changed too much to keep him there.

His progress stalled out the last two years but I wonder how much of that was positional mismanagement in 2012-13 and roster mismanagement in 2013-14. I suspect someone is going to find a way to maximize his skill, but I wouldn't bet on Casey being the one to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X