Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Monroe available, good fit for Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this guy helps us a lot if we can land him with money and no sign and trade where we lose bodies. MLSE has more money than the Bank of Canada and can thumb its nose at the cap tax for a couple of years. They owe us after serving up "dreck" for 17 of our 20 years of support.

Monroe is a 23 year old legit low post presence who has been in the gong show in Detroit for three years. He projects to a 18pt - 10rebound per game guy for the next 5 to 7 years. Casey can teach him defense for gods sake. Think back to those last shot to win the game situations where we could actually draw up a post play for a bucket or the chance at FT's with Monroe rather than a wing iso jump shot in the hopes of winning it late.

Shrewd move for him is to sign a one year offer sheet at 12M. That way if Detroit matches he just does one more year before parole as UFA and gets paid. If Detroit doesn't match then the Raps haven't tied up all their dough for more than a year. I believe Monroe likes DD and would be a great chemistry fit on this team of like aged players. If he hasn't whined about having to play with that ass muppet Brandon Jennings then he is solid citizen keeps his mouth shut, his head down , bum up and moves the pile.

I am of the opinion to offer him 1 year at 12M. His agent is no dummy. If he signs an offer sheet for both money and term (4 years) AND Detroit matches then he is screwed if he really wants out of Motown.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      I think this guy helps us a lot if we can land him with money and no sign and trade where we lose bodies. MLSE has more money than the Bank of Canada and can thumb its nose at the cap tax for a couple of years. They owe us after serving up "dreck" for 17 of our 20 years of support.

Monroe is a 23 year old legit low post presence who has been in the gong show in Detroit for three years. He projects to a 18pt - 10rebound per game guy for the next 5 to 7 years. Casey can teach him defense for gods sake. Think back to those last shot to win the game situations where we could actually draw up a post play for a bucket or the chance at FT's with Monroe rather than a wing iso jump shot in the hopes of winning it late.

Shrewd move for him is to sign a one year offer sheet at 12M. That way if Detroit matches he just does one more year before parole as UFA and gets paid. If Detroit doesn't match then the Raps haven't tied up all their dough for more than a year. I believe Monroe likes DD and would be a great chemistry fit on this team of like aged players. If he hasn't whined about having to play with that ass muppet Brandon Jennings then he is solid citizen keeps his mouth shut, his head down , bum up and moves the pile.

I am of the opinion to offer him 1 year at 12M. His agent is no dummy. If he signs an offer sheet for both money and term (4 years) AND Detroit matches then he is screwed if he really wants out of Motown.
      Who says he wants out of Detroit and would take less money?
      Anyway, an offer sheet has to be at least for 2 years. But it doesn't seem realistic to expect him to take anything less than 4 years.

In general, I don't think the Raptors are in position to make Monroe an offer. Yes, they could clear necessary cap space to make that offer. But they would have to waive a bunch of cap holds, cut and stretch players. Once you do all that, you can't take it back. And since Detroit could just match Monroe, there's too much to lose.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
        You cannot trade a free agent's rights.
        But he's not technically a free agent until July 1st.
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
          But he's not technically a free agent until July 1st.
          You can't trade a guy who is not under contract after July 1st once the season ends.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            You can't trade a guy who is not under contract after July 1st once the season ends.
            must...find...loophole...
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              Who says he wants out of Detroit and would take less money?
              Anyway, an offer sheet has to be at least for 2 years. But it doesn't seem realistic to expect him to take anything less than 4 years.

In general, I don't think the Raptors are in position to make Monroe an offer. Yes, they could clear necessary cap space to make that offer. But they would have to waive a bunch of cap holds, cut and stretch players. Once you do all that, you can't take it back. And since Detroit could just match Monroe, there's too much to lose.

There are always two sides to any story and possibly a third but Monroe was not offered a deal he thought matched his value and rejected it. To each his own. But those hurt feelings is what is making him look around. I think 12M / yr is more than what Detroit offered but the term is the key here. And per the NBA teams can offer a contract for a period of one year. This gives both Monroe and the Raps flexibility. He can choose to sign an offer sheet from anyone and then Detroit has 3 days to match or walk or figure out a sign and trade.
              If Detroit matches that one year deal then he does one more year in Motown before he gets to UFA where his value is still likely quite high. If they don't match then the Raps have a one year try and buy to see if he fits long term. So in effect Monroe gets to keep his cake and eat it too. He will have got close to or at max contract value for one year and can renegotiate with the Raps or anyone else at the cessation of that one year deal.
              Its only money and MLSE has truckloads of it.
              - TGO

Comment

Listening SVG, it sounds like they are in fact interested in keeping Greg.

NBA.com wrote:
                Greg Monroe is a restricted free agent, and both Rodney Stuckey and Charlie Villanueva are unrestricted.

"I want to start the process by sitting down with Greg face to face, talking about how he sees himself, how he sees our organization, and giving me a chance to talk to him about my vision for what goes on and how I think we can create a system that will fully maximize his abilities," Van Gundy said.
                Source

Comment

There are always two sides to any story and possibly a third but Monroe was not offered a deal he thought matched his value and rejected it. To each his own. But those hurt feelings is what is making him look around. I think 12M / yr is more than what Detroit offered but the term is the key here. And per the NBA teams can offer a contract for a period of one year. This gives both Monroe and the Raps flexibility. He can choose to sign an offer sheet from anyone and then Detroit has 3 days to match or walk or figure out a sign and trade.
                  If Detroit matches that one year deal then he does one more year in Motown before he gets to UFA where his value is still likely quite high. If they don't match then the Raps have a one year try and buy to see if he fits long term. So in effect Monroe gets to keep his cake and eat it too. He will have got close to or at max contract value for one year and can renegotiate with the Raps or anyone else at the cessation of that one year deal.
                  They cannot offer 1 year to a restricted free agent. Offer sheets must be 2 years. Only the player's original team can offer a 1-year contract.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lol
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I actually would like monroe on this team but im hearing that van gundy is gonna keep him.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        They cannot offer 1 year to a restricted free agent. Offer sheets must be 2 years. Only the player's original team can offer a 1-year contract.
                        Just read that in the CBA summary notes. TF'ingBad for us. A one year offer sheet provided a lot of leverage. Regardless I still like Monroe and do hope he signs our offer sheet. Bird rights should apply to Kyle as he has been here for two years and we can land both players.
                        - TGO

Comment

I wouldn't mind Monroe, but, as everybody says, for the right price.

Is he a piece that'll help us get into the 2nd Round? For sure. I mean, I think with Monroe, we stand a very good chance in finally beating Miami and what-not. The way to beat them is going at them with big-men, since they're not great inside.

That being said, MLSE has said they're willing to spend money to build a winner. I guess here's there chance? We can go over the cap to re-sign our own players I believe right? New players just have to be under the cap?

Monroe @ 4Yr/48? I feel like he'll command more than that, but, never hurts to try.

Can we sign an offer sheet, and then if another team is higher, re-issue one?

Comment

See I'm not a big fan of Monroe on this team. He has a specific skill set. Floor spacing tends to die with him at PF, and he gets eaten alive by smarter and quicker PF's in the pick and roll. He's a center without the ability to play defense like one. The team I see as the best fit for him? NOH. He can function as the C in the offense, and he has a quick and terrifying shot blocker to prove help on the defensive end, who doesn't need help often in defending the P&R. If they can do an S&T with Evans and/or Gordon...
                            @Boymusic66

Comment

Working...
                            X