Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Monroe available, good fit for Raps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would I trade DD for the rights to Monroe and Detroit's first? In a heartbeat.

You can hide one man on D, not two.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

I don't see Detroit agreeing to that as they could draft a better shooter *cough*Stauskas*cough* than DeMar whould would fit well in SVG in/out system.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
        I don't see Detroit agreeing to that as they could draft a better shooter *cough*Stauskas*cough* than DeMar whould would fit well in SVG in/out system.
        Yeah, they aren't gonna do that, just sayin.
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

You can't trade a player's rights unless they are an unsigned draft pick. It would have to be a S+T this summer, and then you have no control over the pick they make, unless you agree ahead of time, which is a risk for them in case Monroe doesn't agree to come here.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            You can't trade a player's rights unless they are an unsigned draft pick. It would have to be a S+T this summer, and then you have no control over the pick they make, unless you agree ahead of time, which is a risk for them in case Monroe doesn't agree to come here.
            trades are allowed right now aren't they?

If we did that before the end of the playoffs, we'd have Monroe's rights wouldn't we?

btw, those are legitimate questions, not being snarky
            Last edited by stooley; Thu May 15, 2014, 10:42 AM.
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

trades are allowed right now aren't they?

If we did that before the end of the playoffs, we'd have Monroe's rights wouldn't we?

btw, those are legitimate questions, not being snarky
              Only players with at least one more year can be traded after the season (before July 1). Expirings like Monroe can't be traded at all, and players with only an option year would need that option year picked up.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I'm surprised that Detroit doesn't want to just sign him and then trade him away in December. I guess they don't like the idea of going with Smith/Monroe/Drummond for 2 months. But giving away their second best asset is dumb. If MU pulled that stunt on Ross or JV I'd be pissed.
                Monroe can't or at least chooses not to play D.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  You may be right. I watched a fair bit of Monroe and he always seemed fairly mobile on offense. Although his game is below the rim he has decent agility. And his face-up game is getting more respectable. He always struck me as a 90s PF... but I guess the league has changed too much to keep him there.

His progress stalled out the last two years but I wonder how much of that was positional mismanagement in 2012-13 and roster mismanagement in 2013-14. I suspect someone is going to find a way to maximize his skill, but I wouldn't bet on Casey being the one to do it.
                  I think this is the big reason. I mean, I can see him working at PF...but I think in this day and age it's a lot harder to fit the right personnel around him to make it work. Not impossible, but much harder than trying to fit guys around him as a C.

Comment

I wonder how much of Monroe's defensive issues are due to his situation though. Detroit has been a joke since he was drafted, he's had 4 coaches in 4 years and has never had great defensive teammates.

As McHappy said, the situation could be similar to Jefferson in that a good defensive coach and system could help mask his deficiencies big time.

Comment

Let's put it this way, Monroe is to Duncan what Bargs is to Nowitzki.

Edit: I can see Monroe working well on a team like SA (who doesn't look bad on that team really?). Since, he might thrive in a winning environment, but unless we somehow don't re-sign Patterson and Monroe can be had for 4 million a year, Masai shouldn't even bother.
                      Last edited by Raptorsss; Thu May 15, 2014, 03:13 PM.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        Let's put it this way, Monroe is to Duncan what Bargs is to Nowitzki.
                        Ya you're right, a 23 year old guy who just put up his 3rd straight 15+PPG, 9+RPG and 48%+ shoot percentage is the same as Andrea Bargnani. Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense.

There's pointing out a guy's shortcomings and there's this shit.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          Ya you're right, a 23 year old guy who just put up his 3rd straight 15+PPG, 9+RPG and 48%+ shoot percentage is the same as Andrea Bargnani. Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense.

bargnani had some pretty nice stat lines too. people in NY thought he'd work out great there.

I think the initial post was referring to lack of effort and work ethic - which his defensive abilities support

not that I think he's that bad, but he's probably the type of player that would perpetually frustrate fans.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

Careful, with overreacting. I didn't say Bargs=Monroe, so don't pretend that I did. The point was that unfairly, when Bargs was drafted he was compared to Nowitzki and Monroe's game was compared to Duncan's. Just like the enormous gulf between Bargs and Nowitzki, there is an enormous gulf between Monroe and Duncan. Monroe does have some character flaws that I think will prevent him from realizing his full potential. Basically, his aversion to contact on both the offensive and defensive end makes him a liability. And he will never be a dominant offensive force like Jefferson in my opinion. And I repeat, he seems like someone who needs to be in a winning environment. I trust him when he says that 'Sheed has been a big help, in helping him improve his game.
                            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Careful, with overreacting. I didn't say Bargs=Monroe, so don't pretend that I did. The point was that unfairly, when Bargs was drafted he was compared to Nowitzki and Monroe's game was compared to Duncan's. Just like the enormous gulf between Bargs and Nowitzki, there is an enormous gulf between Monroe and Duncan. Monroe does have some character flaws that I think will prevent him from realizing his full potential. Basically, his aversion to contact on both the offensive and defensive end makes him a liability. And he will never be a dominant offensive force like Jefferson in my opinion. And I repeat, he seems like someone who needs to be in a winning environment. I trust him when he says that 'Sheed has been a big help, in helping him improve his game.
                              Duncan is much more physically gifted. Quickness, athleticism. I never heard Duncan comparisons, but that's a pretty weak comparison unless people compared only certain aspects of their games like IQ and post skills. His athletic and defensive limitations were well known before he entered the NBA so I don't know why someone would compare him to Duncan at any point.

Comment

And I trust him when he says that 'Sheed has been a big help, in helping him improve his game.
                                If this is true then I change my mind and we have to bring him in. With Billups mentoring Lowry, all we need is Ben Wallace to mentor Val. Demar is already similar to Rip Hamilton the way he can curl off screens. Stretch Ross into Tayshaun Prince and boom! championship(s)!!

Comment

Working...
                                X