Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing young players

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Scraptor wrote: View Post
    D-league minutes are good to keep in game shape and stay fresh, but the NBA is another beast entirely. You don't learn from easy situations, you learn from adversity. In fact you learn better from mistakes than anything else.

    The game isn't going to slow down for Bruno, Bebe, Powell, or Wright until they get used to NBA situations. It's fine to stash them for a while, but with Jonas down, there's really no excuse for Bebe not to be getting minutes.

    And as OldSkool mentioned, it needs to be meaningful minutes. It's why we've been pounding the table (rock?) on getting Jonas fourth quarter minutes. Byron Scott has been taken to task about not playing D'Angelo Russell in the fourth quarter--even in blowouts. Russell has been pretty good about it, but he did mention this:



    The problem with our young guys is we keep pushing their curve back by not playing them. You have to take your medicine at some point. We had the luxury to try this the last couple years when the east was terrible. Now the east is good, it's trickier to do, but you still have to find creative ways to do it. If Pop can get Kyle freaking Anderson 140 minutes this season already, we can do more for our young guys.
    Spurs have veteran players with basically the same system they've used for years. Kyle Anderson played a ton of dleague minutes last year in the same system and is now slowly being brought along with the big club.

    Kyle Anderson didn't play at all last year.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

    Comment


    • #32
      Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
      Spurs have veteran players with basically the same system they've used for years. Kyle Anderson played a ton of dleague minutes last year in the same system and is now slowly being brought along with the big club.

      Kyle Anderson didn't play at all last year.
      For the big club**
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

      Comment


      • #33
        Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        Spurs have veteran players with basically the same system they've used for years. Kyle Anderson played a ton of dleague minutes last year in the same system and is now slowly being brought along with the big club.

        Kyle Anderson didn't play at all last year.
        He played 358 minutes in 33 games, hardly what I would call "didn't play at all"

        Oh and he looks fantastic this year so far because he has been able to apply his mistakes to his training regime in the offseason

        Seriously if we Ujiri wants to be a team that builds through the draft (to be sustainable), we need to work at getting our young guys meaningful PT

        Comment


        • #34
          OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          He played 358 minutes in 33 games, hardly what I would call "didn't play at all"

          Oh and he looks fantastic this year so far because he has been able to apply his mistakes to his training regime in the offseason

          Seriously if we Ujiri wants to be a team that builds through the draft (to be sustainable), we need to work at getting our young guys meaningful PT
          Powell has got some minutes, as will the others at some point, and d-league pro experience doesn't hurt either. Winning programs don't force-feed prospects.

          Comment


          • #35
            SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            Powell has got some minutes, as will the others at some point, and d-league pro experience doesn't hurt either. Winning programs don't force-feed prospects.
            Bingo.

            Also, the funny thing about this whole convo about the "young guys" not getting any PT or Casey hates young players is. JV is 23 years old. Biyombo 23 years old. Ross is 24 years old. They're still pretty young.

            Those guys got regular playing time since their first year in the NBA because THEY CAN PLAY.

            Bruno and Noguiera aren't ready for this. Noguiera probably would get some playing time if he was on a tanking team like the Sixers. Not sure about Bruno though.
            Mamba Mentality

            Comment


            • #36
              I'd like to know what you guys consider "winning programs". Warriors? Grizzlies maybe? Their rookies last year (James Michael McAdoo and Jordan Adams) each played more minutes than both Caboclo and Bebe combined. OKC's third string rookie PG Cameron Payne (through just 16 team games) has already surpassed Caboclo and Bebe in career minutes played.

              No one's asking them to play 25+ minutes a night (right?? lol) but two young guys with only 52 combined minutes in 2 seasons? That's terrible.

              Comment


              • #37
                SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Powell has got some minutes, as will the others at some point, and d-league pro experience doesn't hurt either. Winning programs don't force-feed prospects.
                The Spurs would never start an 19-yr old international rookie at PG (Parker) with Duncan & Robinson, the Lakers would never start a 19-yr old at C (Bynum) on a team with Kobe in his prime, the Celtics would never start a 21-yr old PG with no jump-shot (or FT) with KG, Pierce & Ray-Ray looking for rings. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

                Oh wait....

                Comment


                • #38
                  TRex wrote: View Post
                  Bingo.

                  Also, the funny thing about this whole convo about the "young guys" not getting any PT or Casey hates young players is. JV is 23 years old. Biyombo 23 years old. Ross is 24 years old. They're still pretty young.

                  Those guys got regular playing time since their first year in the NBA because THEY CAN PLAY.

                  Bruno and Noguiera aren't ready for this. Noguiera probably would get some playing time if he was on a tanking team like the Sixers. Not sure about Bruno though.
                  We currently have one center available who is a negative offensive player. Its not like 8 minutes from bebe is going to hurt much. Casey seems to not play the long game at all. We need our differnce makers to play in the playoffs when it matters, im not sure if scola gets there playing this much.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    golden wrote: View Post
                    The Spurs would never start an 19-yr old international rookie at PG (Parker) with Duncan & Robinson, the Lakers would never start a 19-yr old at C (Bynum) on a team with Kobe in his prime, the Celtics would never start a 21-yr old PG with no jump-shot (or FT) with KG, Pierce & Ray-Ray looking for rings. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

                    Oh wait....
                    Bad example. Wow. I'm speechless right now.

                    Tony Parker, Andrew Bynum, Rajon Rondo.....those guys CAN ALL PLAY.

                    Is it really that hard to understand? JV got regular playing time during his rookie season, same w/ Ross. Why? because they can play. They can help the team.

                    Bruno is NOWHERE near ready to play in the NBA man. Nowhere near ready. His buddy Bebe MIGHT be, but where would you play him? he's not a better player than Biyombo. No way.

                    A lot of posters here are obsessed w/ these 2 Brazilian kids. I don't get it lol.
                    Mamba Mentality

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      The other reason it's important to get a good look at the young players is so you can make the most informed decision possible when it comes to picking up their deal after a few years. If this isn't the year that Bruno gets minutes, next year is essentially his rookie season, and it won't be a heavy playing time one like lotto picks get. So his 4th year might be the first year we see him as an essential part of the rotation. That makes him a wildcard in terms of valuation. Not to mention that his value as a trade chip is similarly reduced.
                      It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Yes we knew bruno would be in the d league this year. Im more upset about wright and bebe right now. We didnt see much of wright in the preseason or even in blowout wins. Heres the thing, he can play. both he and powell could easily get playing time, especially with our already weak bench play.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          tDotted wrote: View Post
                          I'd like to know what you guys consider "winning programs". Warriors? Grizzlies maybe? Their rookies last year (James Michael McAdoo and Jordan Adams) each played more minutes than both Caboclo and Bebe combined. OKC's third string rookie PG Cameron Payne (through just 16 team games) has already surpassed Caboclo and Bebe in career minutes played.

                          No one's asking them to play 25+ minutes a night (right?? lol) but two young guys with only 52 combined minutes in 2 seasons? That's terrible.
                          With Bruno I think you have to remove him from the discussion. He was always going to be a long term project, so to compare him to an average NBA rookie is not really fair to Bruno or the organization. As for Bebe, I think he should play some minutes in the circumstances but many of the same posters wanting this are the same posters who complain that JV doesn't get enough minutes as it is. So, unless you want to take away Biyombo's minutes (and some on here want to replace JV in the starting lineup with Biyombo) there really aren't many minutes for the guy. Right now, yeah, throw him out there. But let's not kid ourselves about where he is on the depth chart when the team is healthy.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                            Yes we knew bruno would be in the d league this year. Im more upset about wright and bebe right now. We didnt see much of wright in the preseason or even in blowout wins. Heres the thing, he can play. both he and powell could easily get playing time, especially with our already weak bench play.
                            I agree Wright can play. But where is he goign to get the mins? we have Kyle Lowry and Cory Joseph on our team.
                            Mamba Mentality

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              golden wrote: View Post
                              The Spurs would never start an 19-yr old international rookie at PG (Parker) with Duncan & Robinson, the Lakers would never start a 19-yr old at C (Bynum) on a team with Kobe in his prime, the Celtics would never start a 21-yr old PG with no jump-shot (or FT) with KG, Pierce & Ray-Ray looking for rings. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

                              Oh wait....
                              And Casey would never start a rookie centre...oh, wait.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                tDotted wrote: View Post
                                I'd like to know what you guys consider "winning programs". Warriors? Grizzlies maybe? Their rookies last year (James Michael McAdoo and Jordan Adams) each played more minutes than both Caboclo and Bebe combined. OKC's third string rookie PG Cameron Payne (through just 16 team games) has already surpassed Caboclo and Bebe in career minutes played.

                                No one's asking them to play 25+ minutes a night (right?? lol) but two young guys with only 52 combined minutes in 2 seasons? That's terrible.
                                Did they force-feed these guys minutes though? Or did those minutes come naturally in the flow of the season based on need and readiness?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X