Developing young players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing young players

This is a fantastic read about what Coach Brett Brown is doing with Nerlens Noel in Philly, before Noel has even played a single game in the NBA.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...lost-to-injury

Considering Brown was stolen away from the Spurs, there's pretty solid evidence that this approach will be successful, and I really wish this was something that we could really build a culture around. Developing young players is an investment. I read a LOT about the Raptors, and although I may have missed it, I've never seen anything remotely this comprehensive created for developing one of our young players. The plan always seems to be... add 10-15 lbs in the summer and work on your 3-pointer. (I'm only half-kidding. Last summer we had Demar/Rudy/Quincy Acy/Amir Johnson shooting threes.)

Gotta say I'm a little jealous. [Nov 2015 edit: Jealous of how Brett Brown was tutoring Noel. During 2014-15 I realized that Hinkie became a zealot and had reached the exact opposite extreme of a "win now" philosophy. You have to have some balance.]

(As an aside, Hiring that type of coach from San Antonio was a pretty genius move by Sam Hinkie, not to mention stockpiling amazing young talent. It speaks to a sort of unified vision that I have yet to see unfold from MU, given that all our starters are Colangelo guys and we just re-signed Colangelo's coaching hire for three years. Hopefully MU can put his stamp on the team this summer.)
    Last edited by Scraptor; Thu Nov 26, 2015, 04:55 AM.

just imagining the defensive potential of that team with Wiggins... 3 years out 8th seed...5 years out who knows...
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

are they planning to play him at centre?
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Great article. One-on-one instruction has the capability to have huge impact on a young players game, assuming that one of the people involved really knows their basketball.

Comment

i hope philly's plan crashes and burns. it would make me feel a lot better about the raptors
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I thought Bayno did a good job with JV?
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Bayno has done a really good job with both JV and Ross.

For the first time in franchise history I am confident in our ability to draft someone and help them succeed. Not like in the past where we just hope that they 'get it'

Comment

Noel is going go to almost 2 years without playing a game. He was cleared to play back in January. I think what they are doing with him will stunt his development. There is no balance at all. You need to be apply what you've learned before soaking in more.

Comment

Big_Chris667 wrote: View Post
                  Noel is going go to almost 2 years without playing a game. He was cleared to play back in January. I think what they are doing with him will stunt his development. There is no balance at all. You need to be apply what you've learned before soaking in more.
                  Interesting point. It could go either way, though, like when Kelly Olynyk took a year of red-shirting for Gonzaga and came back a vastly improved player after a year of intense skills development.

I mean, Noel couldn't play in games anyway, so what's the alternative? And we don't have access to what's actually going on. I think you'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to the former Spurs director of player development for knowing what he's doing.

Comment

If I had to guess, I would say the regimen the sixers set up for Noel is nothing special for a high pick. We just never hear about the rookie/young player development plans in such detail.

I'd also bet that releasing this info was a calculated move on the sixers' part. Designed to make explicit the behind-the-scenes effort that was happening during a season when many high profile nba figures were openly disgusted by the team that was on the floor.

Cool article though.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I don't think Noel is going to be a strong player offensively and as such will be limited. They will have to have some high usage guards/wings to over come his deficiency. Even Wiggins is more proven as a defender than a scorer at this point (assuming they get him in the draft).

Obviously it could go either way (Noel/MCW/two 2014 picks/value they get from Thad) could turn into an OKC type contender.. or they could fall apart and become the Utah Jazz minus Al Jefferson/Millsap.

They are a really interesting team. Too bad they are in our division because if it works out for them, the Raptors are screwed.

Comment

Big_Chris667 wrote: View Post
                        No, he wasn't. He was cleared for limited basketball activities. He still hadn't participated in 5 on 5 practice in mid-March, and although he wanted to come back for April, he wasn't ready.
                        “No funny business. It was a goal of mine to be able to come back and be cleared to play by the Sixers by then (4-4-14) but I was not and that’s that.”
                        -Nerlens Noel, April 8, 2014
                        Keep him out the last couple of weeks is not a big deal at all given that he hadn't gone through training camp or preseason games.

I don't think it's going to backfire. I think the kid is going to be an elite rim protector. And as Brown said, Noel is a 3-5 year project.

Comment

Interesting update to how things are going in Philly: how do you keep endless losing from demoralizing young players?

"The game is long, and when the game starts getting down, can I keep their spirits up? It's not fatigue, because they are in great shape, but, emotionally, we get beaten down," Brown said. "It's hard. I think that once we can forget the clock and the time and the score and just play . . . I told them, 'Look around and enjoy each other's company. And you find a level of love for the game. And forget everything else, then we can move forward. Come out and bang out a great day. They will all add up. Trust that. They will all add up. I've seen it. That much I can promise. It will all start adding up.' Those things matter.

"I bleed for them, I bleed with them. I am responsible for keeping this group together, to helping these young guys get through this.
                          http://articles.philly.com/2015-11-1...-losing-streak

#SaveJahlil
                          https://streamable.com/9fix

----

And on the exact opposite side of the coin: how do you develop young players in a team built for contention? This interview with the Spurs shooting and development coaches is regarding Kawhi Leonard's growth:

Did you have any sense Kawhi had this type of potential when you drafted him? He’s been a Finals MVP, a Defensive Player of the Year and now seems a good bet to vie for an All-Star team.

Forcier: “It’s a combination of his commitment to doing the work, which he really has displayed a consistent ability and desire to do. He does that before and after practice, throughout the whole season. He’s been committed to trying to do his work during the summers. The credit goes to him on that end. But it also goes to, from the very beginning, Pop threw him into the fire and gave him all the opportunity in the world to get experience and learn, and all the room to grow through the mistakes. That’s what Pop’s done for him.
                          http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...ad-forcier-qa/

Comment

I heard an interesting take earlier in the summer (i believe from Amin El Hassan, who worked in the Phoenix front office), that the 6ers strategy won't work because there are no veteran players to teach the young guys. I think Orlando is experiencing this now, where they have more talent than most teams, but they cant put it all together, especially in the fourth quarter, and cant win games because of that. The example for developing young guys to win was Utah. Hayward, Burkes and Favors all we able to learn some from Milsap and Jefferson before they left, which helped teach professionalism and how to win. This is one thing that everyone said about both Cojo and Carroll when they came here, they were total professionals, which leads to success. This is what I have always thought Masai has been shooting for recently.

Still, a player can only get so far when they don't get any pt.

Comment

It must also be very demoralizing for the young first round draftee coming in from what is probably a championship quality program in college (and their career before) and go thru the constant losing and put downs.....game after game....season after season.

Comment

Working...
                              X