Everything Matt Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    To whoever is going nuts with cabin fever, here's something to cheer you up this Sunday morning:

Oooo! Gave me chills watching that. Guys were starting to set more screens for him later in the year. such a quick release. He is a guy who I expect would improve next season. Settled into his role. Accepted as a sharpshooter by everyone on the team. Works hard on defense. Not going to have to defer to anyone cause he's the "new guy." In fact he has every right to demand the ball when he is in the game. The coach puts him in to get buckets. He should be shooting at least 6 threes a game.

Comment

• A dagger 3 shooter stretches the floor too. I'd like to see him get more burn as well.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Oooo! Gave me chills watching that. Guys were starting to set more screens for him later in the year. such a quick release. He is a guy who I expect would improve next season. Settled into his role. Accepted as a sharpshooter by everyone on the team. Works hard on defense. Not going to have to defer to anyone cause he's the "new guy." In fact he has every right to demand the ball when he is in the game. The coach puts him in to get buckets. He should be shooting at least 6 threes a game.
        It's crazy how this is his first year in NBA essentially and he only has 35 threes and look how they guard him loool
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• a little prediction but Matt Thomas will have one of these moments in the future
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
            To whoever is going nuts with cabin fever, here's something to cheer you up this Sunday morning:

If you want to show a kid who is learning to shoot to hold their follow through, have them watch this guy.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

a little prediction but Matt Thomas will have one of these moments in the future

Comment

• Thomas looked great last night. OG probably is our only legit MIP candidate but I think this guy could and should get a little bit of buzz going into the year. Really impressed with his suprisingly solid handle, his not horrid defense, and his cutting ability. Also, goes without saying, but the fact that he is one of the few guys on this roster with a truly elite tool in his shooting bodes well. Think he could be in the 11-13 ppg range if he gets some burn.

Comment

• LivedThroughBargnani wrote: View Post
                  Thomas looked great last night. OG probably is our only legit MIP candidate but I think this guy could and should get a little bit of buzz going into the year. Really impressed with his suprisingly solid handle, his not horrid defense, and his cutting ability. Also, goes without saying, but the fact that he is one of the few guys on this roster with a truly elite tool in his shooting bodes well. Think he could be in the 11-13 ppg range if he gets some burn.
                  He should also generate a ton of easy looks for everyone else with that off ball movement. Actions with Siakam and Thomas should be potent. I know a couple people want to see Thomas play more on ball, but he will always be useful as an off ball threat. I think Thomas and OG could unlock the offense a bit if all goes well.

Comment

• Looking like the fave for that 8th man role. Nice because he kicks our 3-point shooting to elite status while capable of playing next to any of the other rotation guards (Fred like usual, Kyle, Norm, and even Malachi or Davis when Nurse to find him them some minutes). Like that Malachi-Thomas backcourt looked very confident for a rookie-soph tandem.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      Looking like the fave for that 8th man role. Nice because he kicks our 3-point shooting to elite status while capable of playing next to any of the other rotation guards (Fred like usual, Kyle, Norm, and even Malachi or Davis when Nurse to find him them some minutes). Like that Malachi-Thomas backcourt looked very confident for a rookie-soph tandem.
                      When you know the ball is going to go in the basket 4 or 5 times out of ten every time two guys get 6 inches of room, you are going to look confident.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1341778720399511552

Comment

• I think Matt (or the Raptors coaches) have to watch some of Duncan Robinson's game. I could not believe the open looks he was getting yesterday. Not rocket science but it would be nice to see more of that

Comment

• Matt doesn’t get the same separation as Reddick or Robinson. I don’t know if it’s a speed thing or his ability to use picks, or the picks themselves. I noticed it last year. I’m hoping the Raptors can make an adjustment to free him up more.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                              Matt doesn’t get the same separation as Reddick or Robinson. I don’t know if it’s a speed thing or his ability to use picks, or the picks themselves. I noticed it last year. I’m hoping the Raptors can make an adjustment to free him up more.
                              Part of it is the Raptors and part of it is Matt not being good enough yet. The Pelicans game was the perfect Redick/Matt comparison since they played some minutes head-to-head. Redick knows how to get open and how to shoot on the move. The one move that caught my eye last game was Redick was on the move, caught the ball, took a one dribble stepback and hit the 3.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                Matt doesn’t get the same separation as Reddick or Robinson. I don’t know if it’s a speed thing or his ability to use picks, or the picks themselves. I noticed it last year. I’m hoping the Raptors can make an adjustment to free him up more.
                                Well, Redick is a full 10 years older than Thomas. Redick is on his 15th season, Thomas is a sophomore, so It's not an apples-to-apples comparison. What Thomas needs is more minutes so he can get in rhythm. That's what Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn got in Miami, an opportunity to play through mistakes, gain confidence and flourish.

Heat last year had more experienced guys with higher salaries in Dion Waiters and Justise Winslow, but the rolled a lot with the younger guys in Robinson & Nunn. They rewarded the hot hand, rather than a pre-established pecking order, and it took them to the NBA finals.

We don't have that here unfortunately. There's favouritism. What guys have done in years past is what establishes them in the rotation, rather than who's blossoming or struggling in the current season or playoff series. The other difference is that this team has a defensive obsession. As long as you can guard, you're not really required to know where the basket is on the offensive end. 1-dimensional players with no defence are not accepted, but 1-dimensional players with no offence are welcome. That's why I bet we'll see a lot of Bembry and McCaw this season. I personally don't think that's gonna get us far, but that's Nurse's approach.

The good news is Thomas is a much, much better defender than he's given credit for, and also helps a lot with team rebounding, because he boxes out very well. Hopefully he'll be able to carve out some regular minutes because we desperately need players that can actually put the ball in the hoop consistently, and he's one of the few on this team that can.

Comment

Working...
                                X