No announcement yet.

Tear It Down or Rebuild On The Fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this team as currently constructed is not a contender. Time to move on.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I honlestly don't think it's that good.
      Each of Gasol, Serge and Lowry are on the downside, inconsistent and could fall off a cliff. Their play without Kawhi was encouraging this season but no guarantee they could keep that up for a full seaosn.

Fans always make the mistake of believing their young guys will get better and their old guys will stay plateaued and not regress. Seldom works that way.
      It was a 60 win team with DeRozan, who was arguably empty stats guy. With Kawhi sitting and Lowry leading, they looked just like we thought a Lowry team would and went 17-4. I don't think that was a mirage at all. The team was always very good with Lowry + anyone but DeMar.

That team is still here, essentially.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

It was a 60 win team with DeRozan, who was arguably empty stats guy. With Kawhi sitting and Lowry leading, they looked just like we thought a Lowry team would and went 17-4. I don't think that was a mirage at all. The team was always very good with Lowry + anyone but DeMar.

Do you really want to watch that team?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post

Do you really want to watch that team?
          Don't see the relevance of whether or not I want to watch that team. I'll be watching whoever Masai puts in a red jersey next year...

Comment

But what do you want him to do....thats the point of the thread

Comment

But what do you want him to do....thats the point of the thread
              I've got that a couple pages back somewhere

Comment

Back to these days of being a raptors fan.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y33zvkb3

These are the types of deals I'm interested in... maybe not this one in particular

Comment

In my view this upcoming season of the raptors will be like last year's Clippers team. Start the year off, be a scrappy, lunch bucket team that plays together. If you can trade Tobias Harris or in our case Gasol/Ibaka/Lowry, then you do it and stockpile some assets. As others have said, the problem is I don't think many will pay up for Gasol/Ibaka/Lowry.

In the east I think the top 2 teams are Milwaukee and Philly. Then in no particular order it's Brooklyn (no KD), Pacers, Raptors, Celtics. I think this team could win 1 playoff round.

Comment

Like I said:
                    "Fans always make the mistake of believing their young guys will get better and their old guys will stay plateaued and not regress. Seldom works that way." What they did last year without Kawhi was encouraging but I wouldn't count on that again, nor would I for the full year nor would I without Danny. Far too many variables.

Comment

Like I said:
                      "Fans always make the mistake of believing their young guys will get better and their old guys will stay plateaued and not regress. Seldom works that way." What they did last year without Kawhi was encouraging but I wouldn't count on that again, nor would I for the full year nor would I without Danny. Far too many variables.
                      keep in mind siakam will get better and so will og ... i agree with you but we have a year left with this core..

Comment

Like I said:
                        That's why I didn't mention projected improvement from anybody. Guys here have already, in past seasons, demonstrated they can win at a high rate. In the past 1-2 years. It's a well built roster that's not about to fall off a cliff.

All that means is there have already been a few tanking comments that I think aren't realistic. There's too much talent here. Even keeping Siakam/OG/FVV is probably too much for a tank.

If there are takers for the expirings who will for some reason send back a better, younger player (maybe disgruntled), then great. Or someone else's picks/prospects, then awesome. But those types of moves for expiring contracts have become pretty rare the last few years, I don't think the odds are high. Maybe if a fringe contender is desperate for something at the deadline - but even then, realistically what do these guys get? A year ago Gasol got JV/Delon/CJ. That's not the kind of return Toronto needs. They'll want a superstar or a lotto pick. Guess I'm just having a hard time seeing these pieces getting that from anybody.

Comment

There's too much talent here. Even keeping Siakam/OG/FVV is probably too much for a tank.

You have to remember the lottery has changed you can finish just outside the playoffs and still move up into the top four. You don't have to be the Knicks, Suns, Kings anymore to get into those top spots

Comment

With a ton of cap room in 2020 (80+), a decent draft pick this year and some young players coming back from those trades, you can rebound into a good team again.

Kawhi and Danny left with no return. Why wait for Kyle, Serg, and Gasol do the same?

Comment

With a ton of cap room in 2020 (80+), a decent draft pick this year and some young players coming back from those trades, you can rebound into a good team again.

Kawhi and Danny left with no return. Why wait for Kyle, Serg, and Gasol do the same?
                              Right but someone has to want to trade for them. I mean it's not like teams are lining up to pay Gasol $25mill.
                              I could see a team like Orlando wanting Lowry maybe. Maybe the Celtics want a big. Dunno.
                              I don't think there's much interest though.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Right but someone has to want to trade for them. I mean it's not like teams are lining up to pay Gasol $25mill.
                                I could see a team like Orlando wanting Lowry maybe. Maybe the Celtics want a big. Dunno.
                                I don't think there's much interest though.
                                Any team that want to get off a 2 year contract for an expiring (Batum etc.). There's options out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X