Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G__Deane wrote: View Post

Like I said:
    "Fans always make the mistake of believing their young guys will get better and their old guys will stay plateaued and not regress. Seldom works that way." What they did last year without Kawhi was encouraging but I wouldn't count on that again, nor would I for the full year nor would I without Danny. Far too many variables.
    ya you can't assume a guy like Powell will get better ...I don't think he will improve if at all

I see upside in siakam and OG though

​​​​​

Comment

Kyle Ibaka etc will eventually be traded.. probably by the deadline....doesn't make sense to lose them for nothing

Comment

whateverx2019 wrote: View Post
        Kyle Ibaka etc will eventually be traded.. probably by the deadline....doesn't make sense to lose them for nothing

That's the only thing you've posted that I've actually agreed with.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Don't see the relevance of whether or not I want to watch that team. I'll be watching whoever Masai puts in a red jersey next year...
          Exactly. This is the energy I like to see and that I appreciate from other fans.

Comment

Whats our cap now?
            next year?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post

Any team that want to get off a 2 year contract for an expiring (Batum etc.). There's options out there.
              That’s a fair point. I’ll play along:
              pistons need a point guard and want off Reggie Jackson’s contract. Lowry for Jackson + sweeteners. What sweetener makes the raps forego having a clean slate in 2020? Dunno.

Or, taking a flier on young guys with upside a la Markelle Fultz.

Don’t know if the raps trade Lowry for those kind of deals.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                Whats our cap now?
                next year?
                Nothing this year, max room next year. Best FA projected next year: Demar Derozan. Not a good class. I don’t think FA is our best path to contention. Build around Pascal, hope he turns into a top 10 player and trade for another.

Comment

We should be flipping our expiring guys for bad contracts that end in 2021 and picks/young player assets imo. That's why the Hayward trade makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure we will be able to tank this year, because we'd REALLY have to blow things up in a hurry. But we can tank next season for sure, and that's the double draft most likely where there will be the top high school players basically from 2 years in a row in the same draft class.

Comment

I'm definitely on the tear-down/full-rebuild side. Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol will have value, it's just a matter of when. The parity in the league means that a lot of teams will be thinking that this is the year to go all-in. With so much player movement, teams are going to wait to see how good they are before considering veteran rentals, but if you're in the east, a dedicated Embiid-stopper like Gasol must look really appealing. Lowry's probably harder to find a fit for because there are so many good guards, especially in the West, but all it takes is one injury for a team to see Lowry as suddenly a very valuable piece.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'd tear it down except you can't get any value back for Lowry Serge and Gasol in term of up and coming players and a stock pile of draft picks becuase of their salaries that generally need to be matched. And you can't take back an expiring because they're expiring.

If Kawhi had told us he was leaving earlier, perhaps we could have brought in a decent vet or two but certainly no superstar was coming here.

I expect MLSE will be content to trot it back out there and grab the 3-6th seed and bow out in the second round ..... it's gonna suck for a few years
                      What? If you year it down, it's by trading those large expirings for players with longer term (I'd be limiting it to two years, personally) - and asking for draft compensation for a) the cap relief and b) the rental of those vets.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Why are people worried about the return on guys like Gasol, Lowry and Ibaka? Pretty much any return is a good return.

If we are forced to take back a bad contract that adds a year or two of salary, we will get compensated with a pick and/or prospect. It doesn't matter if that's the 24th pick or a prospect with an unspectacular ceiling. Anything is likely better than letting them walk for nothing. Who cares if we can't get an all-star or lottery pick?

We could keep them and let them expire. We know Masai is ok with losing pieces for nothing if he doesn't find a deal he likes. However, I have no faith in us being players in free agency, and also next summer isn't looking great for free agency options. If Masai can find any kind of assets at all for those aging vets, I hope he pulls the trigger. Besides, Masai picks better in the 20s than most teams do in the lottery. We might have to wait for mid-season though, when teams in the playoff hunt start getting desperate to add a "difference maker".

Comment

My focus is on 2021... there aren't that many "bad" contracts that end in 2021 though.

Here is a small list of guys with 2 year deals that could potentially be had.. not many where we could get a pick/prospect as well though:

CJ McCollum
                          DeMar DeRozan (lol)
                          Nicolas Batum
                          Gordon Hayward
                          Tim Hardaway Jr
                          Steven Adams
                          Evan Fournier
                          Otto Porter Jr.
                          Gorgui Dieng
                          James Johnson
                          Cody Zeller

If we can get someone like Batum or Hayward and get a draft pick back in exchange for a Lowry/Gasol/Serge than that would be great.. I'm just not sure that trade is available.

That's why I think we just roll it back and lose the "asset" we can get with our vets. Although Masai is the man and I shouldn't doubt him.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Don't see the relevance of whether or not I want to watch that team. I'll be watching whoever Masai puts in a red jersey next year...
                            If there's any silver lining to Kawhi leaving, it's that he's taking the bandwagoners with him.

Supported this team from Damon thru VC to Bosh & Bargnani. I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                              We should be flipping our expiring guys for bad contracts that end in 2021 and picks/young player assets imo. That's why the Hayward trade makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure we will be able to tank this year, because we'd REALLY have to blow things up in a hurry. But we can tank next season for sure, and that's the double draft most likely where there will be the top high school players basically from 2 years in a row in the same draft class.
                              Yeah, we need to look at how the Nets used their cap space to acquire assets. We don't actually need to tank. We should be making deals with team's that have aging cores but are still trying to add players to win. Hopefully those teams will finally bottom out and we'll have a high draft pick or a top prospect that slipped through the cracks. Kind of like doing a deal with the Conley-Gasol Grizzlies 2-4 years ago. Portland might be a target.

Comment

Continue maximizing value on assets, probably avoid the tax but continue playing above the cap for now. Go a little younger next season if not this, and see where it takes you - lottery or playoffs, either route has value.

Comment

Working...
                                X