X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Masai is not a tear it down guy, I don't think. He's serious about establishing a winning culture and league-wide reputation with this team. He'll explore options of course, but tbh Siakam/OG/FVV are probably too good for a real tear it down. This is the EC, some pretty mediocre teams were battling for the 8th spot last year

I think he may look to reload in a way that still leaves 1 max spot for 2021. He probably does want to chase Giannis, but he'll have a 50+ win team riding into that offseason, that's my prediction.

Also, the current roster sans Kawhi is damn good. It's being underrated.
    I honlestly don't think it's that good.
    Each of Gasol, Serge and Lowry are on the downside, inconsistent and could fall off a cliff. Their play without Kawhi was encouraging this season but no guarantee they could keep that up for a full seaosn.

Fans always make the mistake of believing their young guys will get better and their old guys will stay plateaued and not regress. Seldom works that way.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'd tear it down except you can't get any value back for Lowry Serge and Gasol in term of up and coming players and a stock pile of draft picks becuase of their salaries that generally need to be matched. And you can't take back an expiring because they're expiring.

I
    You stock up bad contacts that expire 2021, by trading gasol, sergers and Kyle. Aim for that free agency class. Example, Batum... Charlotte could trade Batum and a pick or a young player for any one of those players. Just aim for those kind of contacts.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Real decisions will be made closer to the trade deadline. Then we'll see how this team is doing and if any fringe contenders need a vet for a playoff push. But I'm a bit skeptical on that front, so many good teams have unloaded the cupboard to get their current roster.

Leave a comment:

• Shredder
    replied
    I trust Masai. Above everything I will state that.

I would only trade our vets for young guys on deals too big; which would cause the other team to send back picks.
    I'm looking at you Wiggins.
    Someone that has potential but for whatever reason never fully lived up to it. I wouldn't be afraid of relatively high contracts (read not Paul, Russ or Wall) because as we saw with Demar, that can nab us a high end player in a trade. Especially if you can increase the value of the player through better culture, coaching, environment.

I'm bummed about Kawhi leaving, like really bummed. But I'm also bummed b/c we lost him for nothing. I think this league now is all about asset retention. With birds rights you can get your payroll over the cap. Without it you can't. There hasn't been many champs not over the cap.

You could look at running it back because of our record without Kawhi, but that was with Danny. We don't have either now. I say strategically tear it down. I trust Masai and Bobby's eye to scout players. Bring in assets to restock our cupboards. I also trust Nurse to get the most out of his players and our medical staff to keep them in shape.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Not really we have a unique opportunity of being bad for a year, getting a decent pick and having Siakam, OG and FVV to build off. Plus a ton of cap room to build around those pieces.

I think we have one blip of a year this up coming year and then back to the playoffs. Masai is too good and has too much respect around the league to have the Raps turn into a perennial loser again.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    I say tear it down. Trade all the expiring vets, maybe keep FVV, definitely keep Siakam and OG.
    I'd tear it down except you can't get any value back for Lowry Serge and Gasol in term of up and coming players and a stock pile of draft picks becuase of their salaries that generally need to be matched. And you can't take back an expiring because they're expiring.

If Kawhi had told us he was leaving earlier, perhaps we could have brought in a decent vet or two but certainly no superstar was coming here.

I expect MLSE will be content to trot it back out there and grab the 3-6th seed and bow out in the second round ..... it's gonna suck for a few years

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Masai is not a tear it down guy, I don't think. He's serious about establishing a winning culture and league-wide reputation with this team. He'll explore options of course, but tbh Siakam/OG/FVV are probably too good for a real tear it down. This is the EC, some pretty mediocre teams were battling for the 8th spot last year

I think he may look to reload in a way that still leaves 1 max spot for 2021. He probably does want to chase Giannis, but he'll have a 50+ win team riding into that offseason, that's my prediction.

Also, the current roster sans Kawhi is damn good. It's being underrated.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    I say tear it down. Trade all the expiring vets, maybe keep FVV, definitely keep Siakam and OG.
    No. You’re the Florida Marlins if you do that. They have to be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Masai is calling the shot. Let it ride, he will find a way forward.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    That said if Masai wants to stay competitive, he’s got my confidence. Just not what I would do.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    As for Wiggins, they would haver to dump a pick to us if we take on his contract.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Because of the parody in the league teams are going to want Kyle, Serg or Gasol. I would say moving them would be in our best interest. Stock pile assets and build around OG and Siakam. I think our future is bright.

There's no way you can compare this franchise to the Knicks. They are unbelievabley inept and don't want to go there because of ownership and the instability of the front office and coaching staff.

Masai has build a brand and culture that is top of the league. Remember Kawhi wanted to be in Cali., and by the sounds of it if Masai wanted to mortage the future he could have made similar moves to keep him. I don't think this is the same situation as Carter or Bosh.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I think to get Beal we would have to take Wall.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post

Yeah someone else suggested this. I think it'd be a good idea if they're willing to give us a pick. Gives us some wing playmaking for the year, which we sorely need as well.
    I agree. I'd do it. When's his contract up?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X