No announcement yet.

Everything Stanley Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason I'm really excited about seeing this guy in a Raptors uniform - when I think of the new-look Raps, Stan pops into my head. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, as he's not that exciting of a player, but if he and OG can brigade 48 minutes of solid play at the 3 - and I think they can - we're going to be in pretty good shape.

A few reasons for optimism:
    1. He's still so damn young - oh to be 23 again!
    2. Defense - he's been solid but it's a skill that gets honed over a few years in the league.
    3. Shooting - he's been horrible but this is another skill that CAN get better with time. It really seems like he's been dead set on becoming a 3-point threat (he's shot over six 3s a game for his career), time for practice to start translating into games.

Comment

I'm with you man. I was big on SJ coming out of Arizona. Still think he can be good.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        I'm with you man. I was big on SJ coming out of Arizona. Still think he can be good.
        Same, I remember a quote in his rookie year, and I'm paraphrasing, but someone asked him if he thought he was going to be rookie of the year and his response was "I want to be MVP". That kind of confidence can be harnessed and our staff could very well help. On paper this kid is good. Hopefully he has an open mind and allows our staff to do what they've done for others.

Comment

And so cool he's reunited with his college friend and teammate RHJ.

Comment

Shredder wrote: View Post

Same, I remember a quote in his rookie year, and I'm paraphrasing, but someone asked him if he thought he was going to be rookie of the year and his response was "I want to be MVP". That kind of confidence can be harnessed and our staff could very well help. On paper this kid is good. Hopefully he has an open mind and allows our staff to do what they've done for others.
            that's the kind of confidence i'd like from an elite prospect like zion, for example, and not a role player with a career efg% of 0.434. thankfully his usage numbers suggest he's come to grips with the reality of his MVP ambitions, though they're still kinda high on the order of lowry or pascal last year.

personally i hope he can provide competent backup minutes on the wing behind OG, whom i haven't given up on as a low usage 3 and D player and hope he can get back on track after a bummer of a sophomore year.

Comment

The problem with Stanley is his shooting form isn't good. He really should have tried to rework that by now but he's never going to be able to be a good consistent shooter with that form in my opinion. And that's the biggest thing he's lacking in his game on the offensive end
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

I am a big fan of Stanley Johnson, he a great player. I love him as much I love basketball. I have been playing this game since my childhood, working hard everyday to improve my skills, but always get astonished by watching stanlye's moves. he is superve. hope he will deliver his best under Nurse. wish good luck for him.

Comment

Loepard wrote: View Post
                  I am a big fan of Stanley Johnson, he a great player. I love him as much I love basketball. I have been playing this game since my childhood, working hard everyday to improve my skills, but always get astonished by watching stanlye's moves. he is superve. hope he will deliver his best under Nurse. wish good luck for him.
                  Is this sarcasm? lol
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Loepard wrote: View Post
                    A Stan for Stanley. Huh. Cool.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

He's gonna steal OG's job this year. Bookmark this, favourite it, whatever. You heard it here first.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                        He's gonna steal OG's job this year. Bookmark this, favourite it, whatever. You heard it here first.
                        I'm hoping for the best for OG and really hope he pans out. Just not as high on him as many are/were last season and want more from him than good D and decent 3 pt %

I think the team really needs some more slashers (Norm?) as we get so few easy dunks from Gasol and Serge is old as fudge.....

Comment

I know this is the SJ thread but it applies to both him and OG.. we need both to be strong rebounders for us this season. Kawhi was pretty awesome at that end. Just a sneaky smart rebounder. OG isn't. Yet they have similar sizes. It's all about IQ and OG needs to improve his drastically.

I haven't really watched SJ play and he had Drummond (and Blake) grabbing everything so he didn't really need to contribute.. but he will need to as a Raptor.

No JV either to bail out everyone. Wishing for the best for Marc, but yeah - not really his game.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I know this is the SJ thread but it applies to both him and OG.. we need both to be strong rebounders for us this season. Kawhi was pretty awesome at that end. Just a sneaky smart rebounder. OG isn't. Yet they have similar sizes. It's all about IQ and OG needs to improve his drastically.
                            The thing with Kawhi, he is deceptively quick and light on his feet, OG isn't.

I don't think OG is capable of being a strong rebounder at the 3 but maybe at the 4.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

The thing with Kawhi, he is deceptively quick and light on his feet, OG isn't.

I don't think OG is capable of being a strong rebounder at the 3 but maybe at the 4.
                              OG is not really all that athletic. He's very stiff and robotic.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I haven't really watched SJ play
                                You're really missing out!!!!
                                I've heard it described as "surreal".

Comment

Working...
                                X