Everything Stanley Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

Stanley doesn't seem to be on the same page with what the Raptors are doing, at all. On a team with championship aspirations and experience, that is not only not going to win you friends on the coaching staff, I can't see it winning you friends on the team itself.

I think we can all see here that, but I think Stanley either can't see it or doesn't want to. Someone needs to take him aside and tell him there are only two ways he has any chance at real minutes this year: buy in, or get bought out.
    This post Olympic long jumps to conclusions
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• As if things couldn't get worse for SJ...

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This post Olympic long jumps to conclusions
        On the few times the camera has caught Stanley on the bench he looks like he is sulking .

Comment

• Watching this from earlier in the season (Celtics game), it looks like he was a bit overweight to start the season. He almost looks like Lowry out there, but I don't see his optimal weight as a stocky type. Maybe he has been given a fitness target he must hit before being given any chance, because that's what it looks like; Nurse isn't giving him anything, not even in blow-outs.
          Last edited by Beagle; Thu Nov 21, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Maybe there is a secret, un-aired GoDaddy commercial that we don't know about.

Comment

• Then I watched this, and he looks pretty buff. So why does he move so slow? He definitely looked awesome in high school.

Comment

• Beagle wrote: View Post
                Then I watched this, and he looks pretty buff. So why does he move so slow? He definitely looked awesome in high school.
                I don't think it's anything to do with his foot speed or any other physical attribute / ability. It's all between the ears. He's constantly in the wrong spot on defence, thinking about how he'll get his next shot, and driving into traffic without a lick of a plan of where he wants to get to or what move he wants to use or even how the defence is defending him. Unfortunately, I don't see it working out for Stanley here. He doesn't fit Nurse's read and react play style at all. If he can't get to the rim he's almost useless offensively and he's spending his time on defence worrying about how useless he is on offence. It's a shame because he's got all of the physical tools.

Comment

• Even if stanley didn't play like a bonehead to start the season the potental role he could have played has been filled. Between davis, RHJ and Bouch i dont see him doing anything better then what those guys can provide. He's now just injury insurance.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Not a write off yet. It was only a few weeks ago that the Raptors only had 7 rotation players. Now they are 11 deep. Just need something to click in SJ's head. He obviously has the tools. He has now seen what happens to bench players if they buy-in, fill the role coach wants them to, work hard and play hard on both ends. Here's hoping for a wakeup moment. If he breaks through it stocks the cupboard for the Raptors and makes a late season trade easier. Pretty much everything the Raptors do for the next year and a half is all about positioning the team so it looks unbearably attractive to a high level free agent or disgruntled star looking to force a trade to a contender. Doesn't have to be Giannis (though he looks like the pick of the litter), could be any one of 5 different guys.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Not a write off yet. It was only a few weeks ago that the Raptors only had 7 rotation players. Now they are 11 deep. Just need something to click in SJ's head. He obviously has the tools. He has now seen what happens to bench players if they buy-in, fill the role coach wants them to, work hard and play hard on both ends. Here's hoping for a wakeup moment. If he breaks through it stocks the cupboard for the Raptors and makes a late season trade easier. Pretty much everything the Raptors do for the next year and a half is all about positioning the team so it looks unbearably attractive to a high level free agent or disgruntled star looking to force a trade to a contender. Doesn't have to be Giannis (though he looks like the pick of the litter), could be any one of 5 different guys.
                      Now, to be fair, the Raptors were never 7 deep. They always had this depth, and this depth should always have been ahead of SJ and McCaw in the rotation, and used to reduce the workload on Lowry and FVV. They just... weren't. Used, that is.

Now, no one is ever a complete write off in the Raptors system, but SJ and McCaw are giving off strong Lorenzo Brown vibes, and the system couldn't save him either.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Now, to be fair, the Raptors were never 7 deep. They always had this depth, and this depth should always have been ahead of SJ and McCaw in the rotation, and used to reduce the workload on Lowry and FVV. They just... weren't. Used, that is.

Now, no one is ever a complete write off in the Raptors system, but SJ and McCaw are giving off strong Lorenzo Brown vibes, and the system couldn't save him either.
                        How so? I don't follow football that closely. I know only nobody wants to touch him at this point.

Comment

• nubreed000 wrote: View Post

How so? I don't follow football that closely. I know only nobody wants to touch him at this point.
                          Not sure if serious...?

If so:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...brownlo01.html
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Not a write off yet. It was only a few weeks ago that the Raptors only had 7 rotation players. Now they are 11 deep. Just need something to click in SJ's head. He obviously has the tools. He has now seen what happens to bench players if they buy-in, fill the role coach wants them to, work hard and play hard on both ends. Here's hoping for a wakeup moment. If he breaks through it stocks the cupboard for the Raptors and makes a late season trade easier. Pretty much everything the Raptors do for the next year and a half is all about positioning the team so it looks unbearably attractive to a high level free agent or disgruntled star looking to force a trade to a contender. Doesn't have to be Giannis (though he looks like the pick of the litter), could be any one of 5 different guys.
                            Who do you see as the 5 different guys who could make the Raps a serious title contender. Giannis +?

Comment

omfg...I got Lorenzo Brown mixed up with Antonio Brown *FACE PALM* I'm sorry...it's Monday...

Comment

I get your point Dan, but it seemed that Nurse gave guys minutes and they didn't know the offensive sets, were lackadaisical on D and made bad mistakes. So he decided not to play them until they showed him they belonged on the floor. Chris Boucher acknowledged that he started to get playing time when he stopped looking for his shot so much and focused on rebounding and passing.

If they didn't have talent, they wouldn't be on the Raptors. But they needed to gain Nurse's trust, and that didn't happen until they started playing the way he wanted them to.

As for SJ and McCaw, I don't recall McCaw being nearly as highly touted, or having the accomplishments SJ had upon being drafted. We know how that can work out, but I'm not selling my Stanley stock yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X