Everything Stanley Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I get your point Dan, but it seemed that Nurse gave guys minutes and they didn't know the offensive sets, were lackadaisical on D and made bad mistakes. So he decided not to play them until they showed him they belonged on the floor. Chris Boucher acknowledged that he started to get playing time when he stopped looking for his shot so much and focused on rebounding and passing.

If they didn't have talent, they wouldn't be on the Raptors. But they needed to gain Nurse's trust, and that didn't happen until they started playing the way he wanted them to.

As for SJ and McCaw, I don't recall McCaw being nearly as highly touted, or having the accomplishments SJ had upon being drafted. We know how that can work out, but I'm not selling my Stanley stock yet.
    In Boucher's first 5 appearances this season, he took 3 FGAs in 23 minutes and carried only a 10% usage rate.

In his 6th appearance he jacked 6 shots in 13 minutes (13 minutes he got because Serge got hurt) and his minutes leapt up thereafter (again because Serge got hurt). Next game against the Lakers he tossed up 11 FGAs in 24 minutes and grabbed only 2 rebounds. He got the call because Nurse had to play him, not because he was playing differently than usual. Meanwhile he's now played as many minutes this year as last year, and has a similar total rebounding rate and similar total usage rate (slightly lower but still in the low 20's).

Nurse didn't give guys minutes at all. That was the problem. With the exception of SJ and McCaw who were completely useless, that is true, but that has more to do with both players being generally completely useless. He was mad about the defensive intensity in pre-season. But I seriously doubt that applies to Davis, who has never played a non-intense minute as far as I can tell, and who would have most benefited the team by playing. RHJ is the one guy who there is an excuse for, as he was hurt until the recent stretch.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Pat only played 2 games, and played 17mpg in the first, and 23 in the second. Averaging 20. He's a pet project of Nurse's like Fred and Brown were last year. McCaw is going to bump someone (probably Matt, maybe even RHJ) in the rotation when he's back and we'll continue to pull our hair when he does.

Stan is going to still be in the dog house IMO. Just don't think Nurse has any faith in him outside of garbage time and now that we've seen RHJ replace OG's minutes when he went down.. he'll be even farther down the pecking order.

I hope Masai has a buyer for one of these two guys. I will eat crow if either of these guys turn into serviceable players. I'm just not seeing it. And I have no idea why Nurse loves McCaw so much.

Hopefully it was just Nurse giving minutes to the guys that won a chip last year. But 23 minutes is a lot for a guy that sucks. He was -10 that game against Detroit by the way. 5 points and 3 turnovers. Got a steal though.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

In Boucher's first 5 appearances this season, he took 3 FGAs in 23 minutes and carried only a 10% usage rate.

In his 6th appearance he jacked 6 shots in 13 minutes (13 minutes he got because Serge got hurt) and his minutes leapt up thereafter (again because Serge got hurt). Next game against the Lakers he tossed up 11 FGAs in 24 minutes and grabbed only 2 rebounds. He got the call because Nurse had to play him, not because he was playing differently than usual. Meanwhile he's now played as many minutes this year as last year, and has a similar total rebounding rate and similar total usage rate (slightly lower but still in the low 20's).

Nurse didn't give guys minutes at all. That was the problem. With the exception of SJ and McCaw who were completely useless, that is true, but that has more to do with both players being generally completely useless. He was mad about the defensive intensity in pre-season. But I seriously doubt that applies to Davis, who has never played a non-intense minute as far as I can tell, and who would have most benefited the team by playing. RHJ is the one guy who there is an excuse for, as he was hurt until the recent stretch.
        Well, I can't argue with you. (Of course I knew that already, but decided to rely on my particularly biased recollection.

Game, set, match. :-)

Comment

• This dude has been wearing sunglasses on the bench the last 2 games. At least he's contributing a coolness factor to the team
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
            This dude has been wearing sunglasses on the bench the last 2 games. At least he's contributing a coolness factor to the team
            Wtf lol

This’ll help him to see what he’s been missing, I’m sure.

Comment

• Stanley actually got an article on the 'pub, so thought I'd bump his thread:

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2020...anley-johnson/

I was actually quite impressed with his guard skills in that one game. Wild that he can't shoot 3s after jacking up so many in his early career. Crazier things have happened and for backup minutes he's up against young guys (Watson) and guards (Thomas, Davis, Mccaw) that can't compensate for our star-guards' lack of size.

And you know what else is wild - dude is only 24 years old!

Comment

• "the game"

Imagine if he could somehow earn the backup guard (that doesn't actually get to play because KL/FVV) on the second unit:

Stanley
                Norm
                Watson
                OG (who's backup 4 again?)
                Boucher

Now that's athletic/defensive potential!
                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Dec 11, 2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• All aboard the hype train - we got G-highlights.

Comment

• One more and then I'm done on Stanley, maybe he makes a good "backcourt mate" for Matt Thomas (in practice, etc). And together with Norm you still come out with the traditional 1-2-3 matchups on defense.

Stanley - Thomas - Norm - Boucher - Len That's a pretty "traditional" lineup, with Thomas's shooting and collective experience making it work on O, everyone compensating for Matt's D on the other end.

(OK, that's it, I swear)

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      One more and then I'm done on Stanley, maybe he makes a good "backcourt mate" for Matt Thomas (in practice, etc). And together with Norm you still come out with the traditional 1-2-3 matchups on defense.

Stanley - Thomas - Norm - Boucher - Len That's a pretty "traditional" lineup, with Thomas's shooting and collective experience making it work on O, everyone compensating for Matt's D on the other end.

(OK, that's it, I swear)
                      Will Stanley get you something for Christmas ? If not he should lol. I like the creativity but no one on that lineup knows how to run a pick and roll in the NBA unfortunately. I like our rock-golem Stanimal more than most though, if there are lots of guys out with flu/bangedup/isolation, who knows, he may get some burn

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Will Stanley get you something for Christmas ? If not he should lol. I like the creativity but no one on that lineup knows how to run a pick and roll in the NBA unfortunately. I like our rock-golem Stanimal more than most though, if there are lots of guys out with flu/bangedup/isolation, who knows, he may get some burn
                        I'm more thinking how Nurse will divide the team into 3 squads for practice purposes. We know the 3rd PG is going to get next-to-no time anyway. But maybe that's actually Thomas himself (being the quarterback for the 2nd squad), with Malachi the lead guard for the 3rd.

Ok that's it, I'll probably never talk about Stanley Johnson for the remainder of the season.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Ok that's it, I'll probably never talk about Stanley Johnson for the remainder of the season.
                          Nice stuff Skywalker.

Don’t lie and don’t be shy.

Looks like RR got its first Stan stan.

Comment

• Comment

• Starting to see some nice defensive impact, just has to stop bobbling the ball on his steals.

Comment

• Early days but kinda looks like he's worked his way into the rotation...

Comment

Working...
                                X